• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What 13K$ In LED Tail Lights Looks Like.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the data sheet, guys, this camera operates in the 7-14 micron IR band. Its not the near IR band that a simple cheapo silicon sensor can see, nor is it the 3-5 micron band that many FLIR systems use. The 7-14 band is longwave, that is, it senses objects that are just warm, dont have to be fire hot. The datasheet says its uncooled, that is industry parlance for no cryogenic cooler. It still has a peltier cooler to stabilize the sensor itself. The optic (single grystal germanium) can be the cost driver: a fast triplet lens can easily cost $15,000 by itself. So, no, it doesn't have a triplet, but it could very well be an f/0.8 or so to get good temperature difference detection. I think $13,000 for a tested, packaged for rough service unit is a good price, and I am a taxpayer.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the thermal image of the M35A2 in my avatar is taken in the 3-5 micron band. See how it shows that the bearing on the center axle is too tight (white = hot)

crazywelder72

Thats interesting data and explains a lot. So it is more of a thermal imaging design than a low lux infra red design.

I would like to see images thru it. And i was looking at your avatar the other day. I didnt even notice the bearing because i was looking at the stack.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of my backup camera. Doesn't do low light/FLIR but it does help me line up with the trailer. The black thingy is the camera with a magnet base (uses a 9 volt battery) and the silver thing is the receiver/screen, which plugs into the cigar/aux plug in the cab. Mount the camera anywhere you want and if necessary, move it around to get the best view. Doesn't record though so if there's goats involved you're safe.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Kenny the only ones I have left the tail lights do not work. The brake lights do.... sorry bro. Took me 6 months to find two with bad cams in them and lights the worked. There tough lights and dont fail.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could care less if anyting works or even of they have broken lenses. I'd be tickled pink with just the skeleton. I can refit the lense parts from some of the junk I have.

JohnAbrams21

Interesting thread, learned a few things a had a few good LOLs at the opsec nazis screaming over a tail-light. Please people you can find all the information you need over the net on practically ANYTHING. In fact I found out through going through various .mil websites and PDFs that the armor protection level of the Abrams is no longer considered secret or top secret but just restricted level classification.

Frankly, when you can find locked out or restricted PDFs of training/operations manuals on non .mil websites than opsec has pretty much failed in the Information Age.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't mean we have to "pass" it along. Agree, most things are available, but I don't have to "hand it" out. I like the thread, but still OPSEC is crucial to military lives, past, present, and even family members! :deadhorse: I for one, wouldn't want it on my conscience. Just because others do things, doesn't mean that I have to. 2cents
God bless,
Tony

JohnAbrams21

But opsec on a TAIL-LIGHT? I agree that sometimes it's needed like with the blurring out of face of members of current special operations forces. You go on about opsec for these small things when we have people here requesting PDFs for the FMTV series that are still restricted on the LOGSA site.

Would you restrict someone from posting a PDF to a piece of military surplus that is civilian owned but still has a restricted lock-out on .mil sites, but can be found with no issues on other sites?

How is finding out how a tail-light works and it capabilities a breach of opsec when the the same info can be found right on BAE systems web site with a 2 page specifications document? How is that giving info to the "enemy", what is the Taliban going to do with this info when they already know all our TTPs from defectors and turncoats?

Westech

CPL
People do not know how it works... thats that. Lets not get all upset here and freak out again. I do think you are correct 100% but there will always be someone who things he knows it all and does not have a clue. When I post I use common sense and I do check with higher ups.
The UAV's pics I posted in a post that was canned were approved, but whatever. no big deal.
Just to show you things are gray and not always on or off.

falcom

Can anyone help me with wiring the Check 6 taillight? I need pinouts for the 19 pin connector such as power, video, contrast and brightness controls.
I am also looking for junk units, cables AN/VAS-5 sensors or DVE Monitors.

Also I cannot find the Check 6 Datasheet on the web as it is no longer available. Does anyone have a copy they can send me?
Thanks in Advance.
Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks