• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $582.00 Won Us an XM818 Tractor ! ! !

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats John!! I have faith you will do the next right thing with the truck and trailer!
"Thy will, not mine, be done in this and in all things!"

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was planning on bidding on that truck. I am glad I didn't now as it will be better served with you. Congratulations and good luck with it.

jets1959

OK, boys and girls, children of all ages...

Come gather round for the SEQUEL to my original purchase announcement
"WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING!"

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?49661-WHAT-!-756-32-Won-EVERYTHING!&highlight=$756.32
The major plot difference is that this time it was a 5-Ton vs. a Deuce, and the winning bid was only $582.00 (plus auctions fees) for a grand total paid to GOVDEALS.COM of just $654.75 (after their 12.5% Buyers Premium).

Here are the auction pics...

View attachment 583034 View attachment 583035 View attachment 583036

I'll be adding more to this thread as the recovery is planned and executed. We are blessed in that it's only 109 miles from our LZ, and the Midland County Sheriff's Point of Contact had some very promising things to say about her condition.

Stay tuned for more info as I get around to posting it.

I suppose I should at this time add that this is an answer to some ongoing prayers. She's already got a name: THE SHEPHERD; and she's been acquired to tote the SS Chaplain's 1960 Vintage 26' Box Van Semi-Trailer named: THE FOLLOWER.

Carry on.
Great deal, for one whom is most deserving! God has truly blessed you, for all your good work!😇😇

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thanks, WM.
Yes, we shall pray for your son's Basic Training experience. The chance to meet you - even though San Antonio is a 100 mile hope from here would be a great plan. Do you know the date(s)??
John
I guess he will actually start Basic tomorrow or Thursday so figure about 8 weeks till graduation. I'll PM when I know exact dates.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the congratulations and other kudos. I humbly redirect it all to HIS honor and glory.

One snippet of this story I'll add tonight:

Both Dianna and I had prayed about bidding on this truck. We also asked for some revelation as to HOW MUCH to bid. After a couple of days we talked about what we were hearing as answers to our prayers for guidance. What we had both gotten was, YES - Bid; and that $756.32 has worked in buying the Deuce so through that number at this 5-Ton and stand back and watch HIM do HIS thing. Well, the rest is history and was already shared. We placed that bid and watched. The high bid at the time was $557.00 so ours kicked it up to $582.00 without triggering anyone's proxy bids. So we waited, and watched. And the $582 held. I guess God didn't need all of the $756.32 - He was just having fun with our trusting Him.

NOW for one QUICK pre-recovery question.....

Will the TWO 6TL (?) O.E.M. batteries that are in the Deuce fit in - and have ample power to start - the M818???

Depending on other considerations, we may on the first visit simply reinstall the driveshaft, go through the checklist, and drop in the TWO NEW batteries that are presently in the Deuce.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen many reports on folks running 2 batteries on these. I think you will be just fine. If ever there was a candidate for a drive offf recovery, this might be the one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had three of the M809 series and ran 2 Group 31s in each. While they do like 4 batteries, two should be fine.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good, gentlemen.

I'm still waiting for a callback from the S.O.'s POC. (Sheriff Office's Point of Contact).
Questions asked are specifically about location - room for tow truck or lowboy; is it aligned with gate or will it need a magic wand to weasel it out of a tight spot. The pics simply show it adjacent to a building.
Also, will they allow mechanical time in their yard to replace the driveshaft and batteries, etc just to get it outside the fence for further trip prep?

I hear JEOPARDY music as I await his callback.

EDIT:
<ADDED>
I just had a brain-fart. If the driveline to the FRONT axle is in place, wouldn't it be possible to just engage the front wheel drive and move her under her own power IF she'll start??? Is this a SPRAGG or Air-Engage system ??

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that might work, but I don't know if you would have to cut power to the other axles, FURTHERMORE that might not be enough to move it safely for 109miles

Thank you.
I'm not considering the front axle option for the 109 mile trip, just to get it off the fenced and gated Sheriff's Office Impound Yard where it is currently parked. Once it is off their lot then I have essentially satisfied the PICK UP WITHIN 10 DAYS condition of the auction. This would also allow the Deputy who lets me into the yard to lock up and leave. The area is surrounded by oilfield related businesses. I'm sure we can find both safe and secure haven for the truck in the even more extensive repairs or a ride back to San Angelo could then be arranged.

I just feel as though an attempt to do a fairly quick and easy prep for the "short" drive home is our best PLAN A, with PLAN B being a tow or ride home for more major repairs.

Things are beginning to fall into place. Intell is coming in as I type........

More to come.

BnaditCorps

Thank you.
I'm not considering the front axle option for the 109 mile trip, just to get it off the fenced and gated Sheriff's Office Impound Yard where it is currently parked. Once it is off their lot then I have essentially satisfied the PICK UP WITHIN 10 DAYS condition of the auction. This would also allow the Deputy who lets me into the yard to lock up and leave. The area is surrounded by oilfield related businesses. I'm sure we can find both safe and secure haven for the truck in the even more extensive repairs or a ride back to San Angelo could then be arranged.

I just feel as though an attempt to do a fairly quick and easy prep for the "short" drive home is our best PLAN A, with PLAN B being a tow or ride home for more major repairs.

Things are beginning to fall into place. Intell is coming in as I type........

More to come.
Ok

I was just thinking that it might not be such a good idea to drive 109 miles on the front axle only.

That however is a very good idea, taking it out of the lot via the front axle. I doubt you will have an issue finding a truck out in that area.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckerman:

An apology! I mis-typed the distance from San Antonio to San Angelo in my earlier reply. (I have not edited it.)
We are actually about 200-210 miles from San Antonio - NOT the 100 as originally posted. OOPS.

Unless you have other reasons to "head west young man" we could (and would like to) plan a trip to San Antonio as well. Let's see about hooking up there.

-----------------------

RECOVERY UPDATE:

Looks like the recovery will be Monday, Wednesday or Friday of the coming week. Still coordinating ground support, air support, artillery and some public relations too. We may have to go in guns ablazin' and come back out like screamin' Banchees.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One thing if you have a newer style driver seat that you were going to put in later, do it now! If that was not you plan bring a couple of firm 1 to 2" thick pads that you can use on the seat. When I drove mine home it was 160 miles several years ago and I still have the dents in my rear end from that trip! Oh and if there is any chance of rain spend the time and clean windshield and rainX.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing if you have a newer style driver seat that you were going to put in later, do it now! If that was not you plan bring a couple of firm 1 to 2" thick pads that you can use on the seat. When I drove mine home it was 160 miles several years ago and I still have the dents in my rear end from that trip! Oh and if there is any chance of rain spend the time and clean windshield and rainX.

Thank you for the great seat suggestion. I may have to use it.

As for rain..... Nothing in the forecast for at least the next 10 days... This IS dry west Texas!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the great seat suggestion. I may have to use it.

As for rain..... Nothing in the forecast for at least the next 10 days... This IS dry west Texas!

Hey Chaplain,
I remember October and November as the "rain" months from when I was stationed there. It's changed? Hope and pray that all goes well with your recovery!! "your in good hands" comes to mind! LMBO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks