• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING! (M35A2)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GENTLEMEN & LADIES: I respectfully submit this post-recovery mission summary....

The Mission was a COMPETE SUCCESS !

Sorry to report that this whole process went almost completely uneventfully - THIS was an answered prayer.

As originally planned, I arrived in Eldorado, TX - on target and on time at 0900hrs. As I rolled in, I called the guy with the BED - Manuel - and his wife told me that he'd gone to fetch the forklift and that I should meet him at the "ranch" (I called it his goat pen - but I guess he has BIG dreams - LOL).

I then called the two firefighters who would be helping me us load the spare ENGINE at the firehouse. Everyone was up and running - lookin' good [thumbzup]

Rolling in at the firehouse to take the Deuce Cab & Chassis over to the "ranch" I heard the unmistakable rumble and rattle of the forklift pulling in. It was Manuel - all smiles and ready to go. He headed out to the "ranch" about 1/2 mile away as I was checking and starting the Deuce. Once again, this truck absolutely AMAZES me! She'd been sitting for 8 days and again started immediately on the push of the starter button and I NEVER have heard her crank - AWESOME ! Not only did she start right up, but she was still holding 60 psi Air Pressure - WOW !

While the truck warmed up, I transfered tools, chains, etc. from the mini-van and then rolled out. By the time I caught up to Manuel and the forklift, we were all at the "ranch".

Backing a Deuce into a NARROW gate without outside mirrors is a real PITA:!: (Note that there are no mirrors mounted in the pics.) Thankfully, the ground conditions I'd scouted when I first saw the BED were now almost perfect. The mud had dryed up and grasses are now growing - the forklift had no problem in there.

As I dismounted from the cab, Manuel warned me to WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES:!: (Dang, I hadn't even thought of bring a Glock with my tools :confused:... however Manuel was carrying .)

We first chained the front of the BED to the pintle hook and I dragged it forward about 10 feet for a better approach with the forklift. As I was dismounting the cab this time, I heard the distinctive POP - POP - POP as Manuel shot THREE RATTLESNAKES that had been under the bed - each about 3-4 feet in length. Thankfully, they were the only snakes that we encountered. (Anyone ever find snakes at a GL or GSA load-out :?: )

Manuel is obviously OVER QUALIFIED to every work for GL.... He was talented and careful with the forklift . We rigged a chain yoke to the four corner tie-downs in the BED and lifted it easily. Back in the truck, Manuel guided me back and once the Bed was set we had missed a perfect alignment by just 2 inches! That's when I remembered that I'd better take some pictures for you PIC-HOUNDS, remembering the Steel Soldiers Creedo....nopics(See PhotoBucket Link in Previous Post)

With a little nudge with the forklift, I was able to drop the two front bolts in and pin the bed in place for the short ride back to the firehouse to load the ENGINE. (I strapped the bed to the chassis as a quickie so that I could release my volunteer labor ASAP - trying to be as considerate as possible.) As I was tying the bed down, Manuel and the forklift departed for the firehouse.

Again, we arrived on target at the same time. Chuck and Joey (the firemen / sons of the Fire Chief) were also arriving. While one of them moved their new M35A3 Brush Truck out of the way, I dropped the tailgate, Manuel positioned the forklift and we looked like we had practiced this load-out to the point of precision. In under 3 minutes, the ENGINE in its tub was sitting in my bed right over the drive axles. (I was thinking... This is going almost TOO SMOOTHLY ! )

With that done, we all thanked Manuel, wished him a Happy Easter and cut him loose. He and I had spent just under one hour together on this - Again, I was AMAZED !

Joey, Chuck and I did a walk-around for all the Olive Drab spare parts that I was getting in addition to the Cab & Chassis and Spare Engine. We quickly set everything outside the firehouse bays so I could cut loose these two fine VOLUNTEERS also. Once they were gone, I finished bolting the BED onto the truck, and packed my "stuff".

This is probably a good place for me to list the parts that help to make this such a GREAT DEAL.....

PARTS LIST (A3 = "NEW" parts removed from the VFD's New M35A3):
2- Mirror Assemblies (A3) complete with mounts and large "rectangles" & "fish eyes"
2- Rear Mud Flaps (A3)
1- Gerry Can Holder (A3) without Gerry Can
2- Bumperettes (A3)
2- Forward Mud Flaps (USED: removed from the Brush truck bed - they kept the A3's new ones)
3- Air Filters - New in Boxes
2- Oil Filters - New in Boxes
2- Fuel Filters - New in Boxes
1- Instrument Panel - Complete
1- Tachometer
1- Radiator - condition unknown, but believed to be Tested OK about 2 years ago
1- Alternator - condition unknown, but also believed to have Tested OK
2- Doors - one complete and one missing glass
2- Door Window Cranks
1- Boarding Ladder (this sure was useful loading the parts single-handedly)
AND other miscellaneous brackets and stuff (I'll post pics later for some Identification Assistance.)

1200hrs: Everything was loaded, I was hungry, and my chase vehicle driver (Dianna) would be getting off work in an hour. (I now had TWO vehicles, but just ONE driver - this was as planned.) I took a break, drove back to San Angelo - 45 miles - and had a wonderful lunch with my bride before we returned to Eldorado for the Recovery Drive home.... It sure is a blessing to have a supportive spouse when it comes to MV Additcion !

Back at the Firehouse, another pre-trip inspection and on the road home at 1500 hrs. Dianna has driven professionally in the past testing tires under road conditions - Driving is a passion of hers. Five miles out, we pulled over for a conditon check - ALL OK, so we pressed on.

NOTE: My wife/chase car driver was a key player in this recovery since I had NO rear lights and NO mirrors except for a "Battlefield Improvised" handheld mirror (See Pics) that I had commandeered from Dianna's bathroom supplies rofl A cell phone is hard to hear with earplugs and a screaming Multi-fuel, but it worked as she'd ring my phone for the occassional "incoming" vehicle from our rear. Traffic on the roads we used is virtually non-existant by most standards - remember this IS west Texas !

With Speed Checks from the chase mini-van, this truck is running 60 mph @ 2500 rpm (inside, I was seeing 52 mph.). that seems a bit high, so I'll be checking actual tire diameters and crunching the numbers.

Engine/Water Temp was consistant at 180F (outside air temp approx 80-85F); Oil Pressure, Air Pressure, Ammeter ALL Normal. Everything functioned properly except the windshield wipers (Switch/knob is faulty) which weren't needed anyway. The only reason that I had no rear lights was that they were part of the Brush Truck Bed and I'll need to acquire some new ones. The VFD used the A3's tail lights as an add on when they put the Brush Truck Bed onto the A3.

We rolled into the "compound" without incident. We ran "LEGALLY" with a $5.00 One-Trip Permit AND INSURANCE ! ! ! I'll be registering her as a Texas Former Military Vehicle as soon as the Title gets here.

TITLING/REGISTRATION NOTE: I transferred the title at the Schleicher County Courthouse - where I paid for the truck. I live in Tom Green County. Had I registered her at the same time as the title transfer - it could have been quick and easy without the actual paper Title (having the old one to surrender). Since I want to run with Bumper Numbers only (No license plates or inspection), I had to wait for registering until I have at least the Bumperettes mounted and marked before that can happen. Now, I cannot register until the PAPER TITLE is RECIEVED (The "title application reciept" will not work.) I expect the Title to be in the mailbox this week. so I have plenty of time to mount and mark the bumperettes.

Well, that's my LONG story.... And I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for reading it.

BTW.... "Look at what the Easter Bunny left in OUR backyard :!:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchase Cost summary: (As of 40/03/2010)

$756.32 Sealed Bid for Truck, Engine & Parts
$ 77.77 Title Transfer & Sales Tax
$ 5.00 One-Trip Permit (Temporary Tag - 15 days/no side-trips, just point A to Point B)
$500.00 Bed - Including loading assistance with forklift
-------------
$1339.09

Not bad for a 13,000# Toy, huh:?:

That's about 10 cents/lb no counting the extra parts and Engine:jumpin:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE:

Bumper:
The fugly Grill Guard is unfortunately still attached... On Monday 5/2/10, the Sterling County VFD will have a little project meeting concerning their new in-progress Brush Truck build. I have proposed a bumper swap with them and it's looking like a favorable "thumbs-up" from the committee. They will get my fugly bumper with ready-built brush guard (just needs sandblasting and paint) and I'll get their "new" and clean bumper as a trade. (And maybe some additional discarded parts as well). They will save a lot of steel and welding expense and time.

Paint/Camo:
The Cab is no longer RED - YAY! I've done a rattle-can cammo-job ala WalMart Paint in a battlefield-improvised manner just to :grd:. As soon as the fugly Brush Guard is gone, I'll finish painting the nose/grill area. I will then update the photo's for ya'll to drool over.

COMPLETED - She's running as a Texas Former Military Vehicle carrying only bumper numbers (and serial number) in-lieu-of license plates.

Other Open Items:
Taillights/Brake Lights/Rear Turn Signals: Sill working on matching wires that were cut when the firetruck bed was removed.
Mud Flaps: Soon to be remounted;
Righthand Mirrors: Drill out door hinge-pins and replace with bolts to mount west-coast style M35A3 Mirror;
Slight oil drip from engine: trace and fix;
Fuel Gauge: erratic electrical performance - Troubleshoot & Fix;
Passenger door Window: Caddy-Wumpus in closed postion - Troubleshoot & Fix;
Low Air Pressure Warning Buzzer: Troubleshoot & Fix; and
Gladhands: Acquire & Install.

She runs GREAT and will soon be Parade-Ready :grin:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE:
Met with the Fire Chief with whom I'll be swapping front bumpers. He likes what they will be getting and we'll work out the logistics in the coming week. I'll drive my Deuce to their County Shop where air tools and a hoist are available. (Their's is a county Volunteer Fire Department). I'm expecting a trouble-free swap.

Also, he confirmed that any other "surplussed" parts will be mine in appreciation - YAY!

I was also provided the contact info for the guy they got their truck from - He still has the M109 Box and probably some additional parts. all of which are probably available. YAY again!

OPERATIONALLY:
Drove the truck to work today, and then all over town running errands, charging the batteries, etc. The more I drive it, the more she's becoming my "daily driver". I love the "feedback" from the gawkers :cool:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's been six months into our Deuce ownership, and we finally passed a new milestone so here's an UPDATE.....

The spare engine has FINALLY been removed from the bed of The ARK :!:

Being unable to hoist it myself, and too cheap to rent a loader/forklift, I was fortunate enough to get a contractor working in the neighborhood to come by and swing the engine out of the bed and into the yard. His big frontloader handled it with ease - 5 minutes - Like a good bankrobbery... in and out and nobody got hurt! (Happened so fast there are not pictures... SORRY.)

(For this I have to thank the OBAMA Stimulus Package - the contractor is modifying ALL the neighborhood intersection curbing to put in handicap ramps.... In most locations there are NO SIDEWALKS, but at least there will be "Ramps to nowhere"aua Ain't it great to see YOUR tax dollars hardly at work :?::deadhorse:....I would say that the spare engine removal didn't cost me a dime, but I AM a taxpayer so it really was an expensive lift . :confused: )

Anywaze... Our Deuce is EVERYTHING we expected it to be. We love it and would recommend joining the addiction to anyone and everyone who has ever had the fantasy of playing with REAL "BIG TOYS".

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just have to keep rubbing this one in don't you :p
LOL - That's REALLY not my intent. ;)

This last update was a "sigh of relief" since I have been hauling that engine around for SIX MONTHS :grd: (I know it's my own fault.) :deadhorse:

Now I'll be able to put both troops seats down, and feel safer with troops in the bed. I suspect it's going to ride a little rougher without the 3,000 lbs back there, too.:jumpin::driver::jumpin:

The fuel mileage may even go up, but I can't complain.... As of the last fill-up, She's burning Diesel at a rate of 10.019 MPG. [thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

LOL - no, I just did the math....

1327.6 miles driven (Deuce odometer) since first time I "topped off the tank" until the most recent fill-up (as close to the same level as I could eyeball), divided by the total fuel purchased over several fuelings: 132.508 Gallons (reading from digital fuel pump metering) = 10.01901771968 MPG..... simple math on a pocket calculator (rounded to just a three-digit decimal).

There's no "rocket science" to it. The "PRECISION" comes from the larger mileage factor and the larger total fuel consumed rather than calculating just one tank-full. The only "fudge-factor" in the calcuation is the imperfect refill level. I tried to minimize that error factor by using the same pump as the original fill-up, same "level ground" etc. The nozzle was fully inserted and held in the forward-most position so that even the auto-cut-off would occur at nearly the same level.

So I guess you're right.... I got a little anal about it. It's still impressive for a 42 year old, 13,500 lb. truck, don'tchya think :?::!::?:

Oh, and I didn't mention....
This was almost all city driving (although minimal "traffic" here in west Texas). rofl:driver:

TIGERFANS2

Us real PMEL guys wouldn't have rounded.... :mrgreen:

ok... gotta ask... what constitutes traffic in West Texas........ cars per hour or cars per day???

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Us real PMEL guys wouldn't have rounded.... :mrgreen:

ok... gotta ask... what constitutes traffic in West Texas........ cars per hour or cars per day???

We have just two "rush hours" each day.... each lasting only about 5 minutes rofl (for comparison, I was raised in New Jersey, just 8 miles straight line from Ground Zero on Manhattan - I know what real GRID LOCK is.)

San Angelo is a city of approximately 100,000 souls surrounded by NOTHING.

We are the largest city in the nation that does not have an Interstate highway within 5 miles. (I-10 is about 60 mile south of us, and I-20 is 90 miles north of us.)

The nearest city of comparable size is Abilene up there along I-20 - 90 miles away... Between us and them there are a few towns in the 2000 to 5-6000 population range, each about 15 miles apart (former watering stops for the steam locomotive that once traveled the route.)

We are 200 miles west of the I-35 corridor - Fort Worth (& Dallas), Austin, and San Antonio. And, about 130 miles east of Midland, Tx.

Yet we are the nearest "CITY" to the geographic center of the Great State of TEXAS - located 75 miles east of us near Brady, TX.

Our Air Force Base has NO acitve runways or flight ops. Goodfellow AFB is a technical training center for ALL ground-based military firefighters and much of the INTELL mission.

So, to answer your question....

We don't really have TRAFFIC, just redneck and senior-citizen drivers :deadhorse:

Green_gator

Glad that it is all going well for you. While that brush guard was by no means military it could have come in handy if things ever went really bad. Perfect for pushing through a crowd of the undead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks