• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What a day..word of caution

gunboy1656

I really needed to stay in bed this morning, well since last Saturday.

Saturday morning I got home from work (work 16 hours), and since it was a nice 16 degrees I fire up my deuce, check it over all is good.

After I fired it up, the seals on the oil filters let up, leaving a nice puddle on the ground.

So, this morning I get a friend to watch my son, and I head off to NAPA for filters (which surprised me that they had them in stock). I get home and swap them out. Problem fixed.

Part 2 of my day was to take my truck for an inspection.....this is where my fun really begins. I leave my house head down the hill, picked up enough speed to shift up from second to third........the **** lever came off in my hand. NOw i do a pretty through inspection.....but never saw this one. coasted into the parking lot, grabbed a couple wrenches, tightened the daylights out of it.

Back on the road in a couple minutes. I get to the inspection station. and get told they dont have the equipment to handle my truck anymore. And pointed me to a truck shop across the road. So I hit there, and get a card and call me on Wednesday.

I leave there and head back out on the road, and heading home the gearshift lever is trying to come off again. This time i was ready for it and pushed it back before it got far enough.

Seems it is getting harder and harder to shift the gears for some reason. NOt sure if the play in the shift lever is making it hard or something worse.

I also noticed a rattle under the passenger side, but could not find anything flopping around. so that will be next to tackle.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We had exactly the same problem in one of Clinto g/f's trucks. To fix it, I removed the lever and using a cut off wheel (zizz wheel) I made the slot on the bottom of the lever larger so that it could be tightened a little further. This fixed the problem. It was loose when I picked it up from GL and only got worse. I guess a few shifters out there can't be tightened enough as is.

It's the only one I have encountered like this.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had exactly the same problem in one of Clinto g/f's trucks. To fix it, I removed the lever and using a cut off wheel (zizz wheel) I made the slot on the bottom of the lever larger so that it could be tightened a little further. This fixed the problem. It was loose when I picked it up from GL and only got worse. I guess a few shifters out there can't be tightened enough as is.

It's the only one I have encountered like this.
Great info to file away in the old info bin............

Last edited:

gunboy1656

That was why I posted this, I have never heard of it happening before.

It throws your mind for a loop when it happens and your driving down the road. Luckily I had a parking lot very close by that I could park the truck.

gunboy1656

Lucky, mine was in neutral. It was a good thing I was headed downhill and there was not cars near the parking lot I aimed for. If it would have given me any gear, I could have pulled into the gas station to have a better place to park it.

Looks good playing in all that snow, my dad has got the MV bug, I am wishing he goes with a mule. But right now he has a fascination for a universal gun carrier. Trying to steer him back to the mule.

ctmustang

I went through the same thing with my other deuce. Luckily I was able to just put it back on and tighten it up and it never came loose again. Of course I was on my way to work and would love to have seen the look on my face when I was sitting there holding the shifter in midair.:evil:

gunboy1656

ctmustang - I too would love to see what my face looked like. I don't know which emotion I hit, confused, worried, curious......

Joe - Don't worry I will sneak over one day and loosen your so you can experience it yourself, naw i wouldn't do that, you got enough troubles with yours.