• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What a difference a Turbo makes

hilber

I am amazed at the difference in my REO with Turbo and the Jeep without it. I actually passed some trucks coming up some hills around Monteagle TN. I had to downshift to 4th 1 time from Ft. Knox to Homer. With the 71 Jeep I had to down shift to thrid and sometimes 2nd to get up hills. The jeep will run 56 down hill, but its sweet spot is about 45 to 48. This REO with Turbo will pull hillls like crazy and its sweet spot was 53 to 55. I had lots of power left a 55 and had to watch myself to keep from gong 60 which i hit a time or two before I realized it.

DeucesWild11

Hey hilber, I am looking into the turbos, not sure which one is better, I see you have the turbo C, I believe there is also the D model? Not sure what the difference is but I think I read on one post that one is louder than the other. Love that whistle sound but I do live in a cul de sac so I wanted to keep the noise down to a respectable level. I have a new muffler that I plan on mounting on my stack but haven't just yet..

TheWeatherMan

as far as I know the D turbo is way quieter (had a D and switched to a C.) I think the D puts out a tiny bit more HP. I think my D turbo is still laying around someplace. But a muffler is a good idea if you want to keep your hearing without wearing hearing protection (but it is still recommended... I think)

engineer233

The C turbo is commonly called a whistler. The D is slightly larger but doesn't sound as good. My truck has a D on it and for the cost of a C I will probably keep the D until it goes out.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as far as I know the D turbo is way quieter (had a D and switched to a C.) I think the D puts out a tiny bit more HP. I think my D turbo is still laying around someplace. But a muffler is a good idea if you want to keep your hearing without wearing hearing protection (but it is still recommended... I think)
Correct with one point that the cfm between a C and D turbo is so marginal there is no HP difference. Hearing is indeed still required. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks