• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What air filter breater duct is this?

BlazerAdventure

What year and engine is this duct from?
May be a good retro fit for the missing M1009 duct. With a little angle adjustment.
What are the dimensions of a M1009 oval filter canister to duct opening?

scottladdy

I am guessing you want to reduce your intake air temp?

But, have you considered the additional restriction that corrugated stuff will add?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is from a gasser. The diesel one has a resonator in it. I can take pics of my burb when I gets home.

blackhueys

i had the diesel set up one with the resonator in it you will need the different battery holders like the civy trucks have which take one battery and put it on the drivers side you will then need to get longer battery wires to make up the difference. If you want to I still have the complete left and right side battery trays I can take pictures of as I removed them for my arctic heater setup the trays are just sitting in my garage there is also a different cooling overflow tank. not a hard install as the inner fenders are the same on both civvy trucks and ours. want to know more ask away

BlazerAdventure

Thank you guy's.
We have converted to 12v, modified rear battery stand to fit both batteries. I believe we came up with a weight loss of 9lbs on rear stand and no front stand or battery.
We are looking for an inexpensive way to get colder air to intake. I think a gasser duct will be easier to find and retro fit. I may cut the the oval duct attachment out of the air canister and weld in a larger one to fit a different duct if necessary. That way I can use a larger diameter tube to offset corrugated tube resistance.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the air filter canister duct opening. The M1009 is up at a friends getting the roll cage installed.
Thanks

1StumpJumper

That is the same one I have on my 89 Suburban. It came with a TBI 350 but had a 454 carb swapped in before I got it (who knows what it . There is no room in a CUCV for this set up. It is 6" wide by 18" long. There is 2" of clearance between the radiator and the stock battery tray in my M1008.

I am cheap, have this set up, desire to have this on my truck, and still do not want to use the part that ties in to the radiator support.

I personally would not pay for the part and shipping with the work still involved.

DSC00117.jpg

Last edited:

Berk

Thank's Stump. With my front battery tray gone that box might fit. What diameter is the opening for the duct? My goal is to draw cooler air from the the area next to rad support and use the next size larger duct. I'll mod the filter canister to accommodate the different duct. Finding the right year and model to use so I can look up part numbers has been time consuming.

scottladdy

Just remember that a big consideration for the factory intake design was noise reduction. Not necessarily improved or cooler air flow. If you can get the intake pulses out in front of the radiator support, you dramatically reduce the under hood noise level. A major cause of the noise our trucks make is directly due to the "open" intake under the hood.

Take a good look at the after market induction setups from the major suppliers for various engines. You may be able to piece a low restriction assembly together that will flow well.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks