• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What all do I need to install a cruise control kit on a CUCV?

TexAndy

They'll do 85 without much trouble. I got mine to go that fast on I-37 south of San Antonio just to see how the vehicle behaved. Wasn't difficult at all.

TexAndy

looking at the manual for the murphskits ccs-100 clone, it appears that it needs a tachometer input in addition to the VSS.

The servo controller has dip switches to program it. SW7 is "Tach source" with the choices being "ECM" or "Coil."

So I'm guessing I'd have to install a tachometer to make this work.

TexAndy

That's the system I installed in my m1009. I went with the stock appearing turn signal lever and yes you do need a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) The one I used attaches to the end of the speedometer cable inline down by the transfer case this is the part number from Rostra if i remember right, 250-4153. I was thinking of using a stock setup till I tried to pull one from the boneyard. way to much work to do, to get a system that could end up being nothing but junk in the end. its been 4 years since i installed this and no issues yet, took about a day for the install. holds the set speed dead on.

When you installed your rostra kit, what did you do about the tachometer input wire? Did you just leave it disconnected or did you figure out a means of sending tach signal to it?

The Rostra kit indicates that tach signal isn't necessary but is a good idea for safety, to keep the engine from over revving if the car is in neutral and the cruise is engaged.

Keith_J

The alternators have tach output but it is a pretty high frequency AC output, don't know how it could be used. Left alternator has a brown wire which goes to the tach buffer module for the STE-ICE diagnostic port. I guess I could test it out on mine :idea:

just back, 320 Hz at fast (cold) idle, 200 Hz once warm.

Last edited:

jpg

The alternators have tach output but it is a pretty high frequency AC output, don't know how it could be used. Left alternator has a brown wire which goes to the tach buffer module for the STE-ICE diagnostic port. I guess I could test it out on mine :idea:

Is there a tachometer gauge that would properly display this signal? I'd been reading other threads about mounting a tach on an M1010. I'd been planning to glue magnets to the bottom pulley to get a signal for an ISSPRO R8503, but it sounds like it would be much cleaner to use this signal.

TexAndy

I have no idea if this is the way to figure it but, I'm looking at two different manuals. The Rostra one and the CCS-100.

CCS-100: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/cc100_ins.pdf
Rostra: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565G.pdf

When you're setting these things up, the controller box has selectable input speed pulse rates.

For the CCS-100, you get four different options. 2,000 pulses per mile, 4,000ppm, 5,000ppm, or 8,000
For the Rostra, you get 16 choices ranging between 2,000 ppm and 38,600 ppm

Strictly speaking, per the manual(s), this is for the VSS. I don't know if this is at all related to the frequency of pulses necessary for the tach input.

One thing I find interesting is that on the CCS-100, the controller has no programming options for what kind of engine you're using, but Rostra has several options. Dunno if that's related to tachometer or not.

Well, the tach input on these devices has options. Per the manual, you can either hook it to the engine ECM or the ignition coil. I would think the latter might give us a clue as to what kind of juice that tach input on the cruise control servo controller needs to see.

Keith_J

Not going to work with either. 200 Hz at 625 RPM would equate to 1152 Hz at 3600 RPM or roughly 69000 pulses per minute. I would recommend another tach pickup method. Ignition coil primary hookup would result in 6 or 8 cycles per two engine revolutions (depending on cylinder count) so at 3600 rpm, it would be 30 Hz.

blackhueys

When you installed your rostra kit, what did you do about the tachometer input wire? Did you just leave it disconnected or did you figure out a means of sending tach signal to it?

The Rostra kit indicates that tach signal isn't necessary but is a good idea for safety, to keep the engine from over revving if the car is in neutral and the cruise is engaged.
I just did not use it I figure I am the only one who drives my truck and I am pretty quick at shutting it down in case of over rev situation. lol Just to add something about VS sensors the magnet ones will work till your way far from home then you'll throw one of the magnets and lose your cruise control till you get a new magnet kit which you wont be able to find easily where as the VSS that goes in line with the speedometer cable is way more less prone to issues 4 years on mine and no issues yet. Again this is my personal opinion from years of wrenching Your results may differ.

Keith_J

How precise are these cruise controls? Because this might be an interesting add on for the M1031 SECM. It already has a magnetic pick up unit for the generator governor on the power take off. It would be cheaper than the replacement digital governor.

TexAndy

What did you do with your windshield wiper/sprayer controls? the replacement lever just pops in everything works the same just adds cruise switches

Ok, I figured out where the disconnect is. I think the model of controller you're talking about is the 250-3091. It appears that they no longer offer it.

The only ones available now are here

http://www.rostra.com/aftermarket-cruise-control-switches-by-rostra.php

None of those have the windshield wiper controls on them.

I'm guessing they cut costs by simplifying things and going with a smaller number of controller switch designs.

What I'm considering now is mounting the dash switch on the steering wheel. With plenty of cable relief, so turning the wheel doesn't stress the connections.

cucvrus

What I'm considering now is mounting the dash switch on the steering wheel. With plenty of cable relief, so turning the wheel doesn't stress the connections.
Very interesting. WOW. That should be a tangling mess of wires.

acesneights1

The civvy Blazer uses a Vacuum controller.Works off the Vac pump system. . The cruise wiring harness is separate as a factory add on so if you are lucky enough to find a diesel Sub/blazer of the same era you can take what you need to do it although I suspect the issue will arise with the speedometer. The dash cluster is is where the Cruise gets it's signal IIRC. I can look if you want, I just cut up an 83 with cruise. I don't remember there being any sensor inline with the speedo cable. I think it's right on the speedo itself which would require fitting it into a cucv cluster??
Finding one used will probably not be so easy. Those driveshaft magnet kits are worthless. The magnets come flying off sooner than later in every one I have ever seen.

richingalveston

TexAndy

Ok, I've decided I'm going to go with the Rostra.

What I can't decide on is the VSS generator kit.

250-4153 or 250-4160

They LOOK the same, but one has an extension for the speedometer cable. but I don't know that for a fact. I sent an inquiry to Rostra to see what they say before I ordered.

TexAndy

Still haven't heard back from rostra.

Another option I'm looking at for the control module.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JBJX8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9KLK8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It/they are the AC delco oem cruise control switch for a GM vehicle of that age equipped with cruise control. Amazon lists both as compatible with my 84 blazer (not sure I trust that). Also, I'm not sure if it's compatible with the rostra controller. I think it might be, because it has the exact same switch functions but I'm not sure. The rest looks pretty much the same as a non-cruise equipped turn lever. Lever operates turn signal and headlight dimmer inside the steering column while the wiper control switch (I guess) is connected through the center pin of the lever itself.

If one of you that has done the rostra conversion could take some pics of your controller switch for me (specifically the wire connections) it would be a big help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks