• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What all MEP models do members have?

jas67

Lets have an MEP roll call.

What all model MEPs do members have? And what condition were they in when you get 'em home?

I'll start:
(2) MEP-016E 3KW Diesel w/ Yanmar L100AE power. One running (1869hrs), one not (455hrs) (yet).
(1) MEP-016D 3KW Diesel w/ Yanmar L70AE power (169hrs). Not (yet) running
(1) MEP-026C 3KW 28VDC/107A APU w/ 4A032 Power (232hrs), not yet running; starts ok on starter fluid -- need to diagnose fuel problem. Either the pump isn't pumping or the fuel filter is clogged.
(2) DC4.2ORD/28 4.2 KW 28VDC/150A APU w/ 4A032 power, not yet running

And the last one, not a military generator, but related to the MEP-002A (and purchased from GL):
Onan 6.0DJB/3CR, 6KW 1800RPM Diesel Generator., also, not yet running -- gotta get a fuel tank for it, and replace the lift pump. It does crank and try to start when given fuel, so it just needs a little love.

The DJB is the predecessor to the DJE, which is the civil version of the engine used in the MEP-002A.

Last edited:

jas67

One running out of seven?:shock:
Between job, family, and household projects, I don't get much time to mess with these. The 28V gas-powered units haven't been a priority, and the Onan DJB also fell to the end of the list when I acquired a 4KW civil unit (chinese-made Yanmar clone -- must be a decent one, has over 2000 hours, and runs great) in good running condition for $200.

I just got the 016E's, and the 016D this week, and only had a few hours with them. I'm going to try to get some time in on them this weekend.

Isaac-1

1 MEP-701a (MEP-016B with ASK) , 890 hours from local GL site, battery mostly dead, started with fuel, oil and jump start on first try, small pinhole leak in oil cooler (found a replacement on ebay for about $30-40) otherwise good.

Also non-MEP generators from GL:

Kohler 30ROZJ diesel skid mount, exhaust had been removed and been taped over with a plastic bag, which rotted away in storage leaving a couple of gallons of water in the oil pan, engine was lightly seized, ran fine after unseizing (soaked in ATF and marvel mystery oil) and after fixing a few small problems, cut hoses (I guess the radiator drain was too slow for someone) , new battery cables as original was crushed, new low oil pressure sensor, filters, clogged fuel lines, etc.

30 year old Onan 125.0DYD 125KW diesel generator 690 hours, needed new $300 control board, and having the control panel ground screw connections cleaned, smoked bad until I cleaned the electric fuel pump strainer that was almost completely clogged, all other filters were changed like clockwork, complete with date and hours marked, strainer looked like it had never been touched.

Ike

p.s. on other great GL deals, I have also bought an electric forklift from GL only problem was a broken fuse holder, and a "scrap metal" 18 month old large (300+ pound) HP color laser printer that needed a new drum cartridge, and the paper level display is broken for the main tray.

Carl_in_NH

MEP-003A from GL; complete, wouldn't run when picked up. Replaced defective IP - now just fine, and fully operational.

MEP-017A from GL; complete, needed rust cleaned out of carb from storage condensation. Now fully operational.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-003A from Richmond. Looks great, just have to find all the filter elements. Just picked it up day before yesterday. "Running condition unknown" :)

The OEM filter elements are widely available at race-mart.com, and I believe rockauto.com. Also, non OEM replacements are available from NAPA. Do a quick search for MEP-003 filters (or a variation of that, our search feature isn't the easiest thing to navigate) and you'll probably turn up plenty of threads about them. And of course you could purchase a spin-on oil filter adapter that I have for sale in the classifieds...see link in ymy signiture line.

Now, on the the purpost of the post. I have 2 very well running MEP-003a's. One with 1500 hours and one with about 3100 hours. Plus various other MEP-003a pieces and parts, just about enough to make a complete 3rd generator with.

I have a MEP-016a(c) in currently unknown running condition. It's on the to work on list after FrankenKompressor is finished and the Garage cleaned up / re organized (moving tools into the new roll-away) I'll drag it out here shortly and get checking her out.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two (PU 751M) MEP002As #1: 12XX hours, works great, still on trailer. #2: 6XX hours, needed fuel injection pump, now works great, removed from trailer and sold. (sold trailer too).
One MEP701A, 1XXX hours, pretty decent shape, all fluids drained, running condition unknown, at the shop awaiting it's turn at #1 on the list of fun things to do.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-003A with only 100 or so hours on it, but it had been scavenged for parts by GL or whoever had it before. I got the rest of the parts, but am still only partway getting it back together again.

PeterD

MEP-004 w/ASK. Got as a basket case, been working on cleaning up (had a blown head gasket, with coolant leakage) and will start reassembly in the next week or so. I'm sure I'm going to go down a few dead ends figuring out how it went together...

joshgar8

MEP-004A. Came from GL (redstone) Has 41hrs, currently in the shop for voltage regulation problems. Its putting out to many volts at 60HZ on every setting. It averages between 30-50 volts higher than the advertised output. No response from the new voltage adjustment reistat.

derby

I picked up two Mep-003's from Pa. Gl ,changed filters and fluids new battery's both run good. Also will be picking up some Onan parts engines from Columbus just in case.

Avn-Tech

Group,

I have :
1. MEP-004, Unk condition, appears complete
2. Mep-003, Unk Cond, Appears complete
3. 30KW, model IVAN, USMC Generator, 1970's, Unk Cond, Supposed to run, but have not tried.
4. Unk Model, Came with MKT

When I get time I will hopefully get them all working again. But in the mean time I am building three HUMVEES (milspec), Three aircraft hangers, 13 aircraft (Warbirds), Fire Truck, Fuel Truck, Aircraft Replicas (P-40's), Ect........

Oh, I forgot to mention I work out of town 3-4 days a week, plus NG one weekend a month. So I get about one day a week to work on all my projects, if I am lucky!

I have created an excel spread sheet listing most military generators (WW II - Present), KW, fuel type, and manual listings. It still needs more work, before it is completed, but then I hope to have itt posted on smokstak web site when it is complete.

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

liftman

I have an MEP018A. Wouldn't start when I got it. Engine timing way off do to improper installation of magneto. Once I got that fixed, it started and ran well, but wouldn't produce more than 95 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator with a NOS one I found on EBay. Now runs well.