• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What am I looking at here?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pardon my ignorance in this post.

I was crawling under my truck today and noticed this hole that looks like a plug should be screwed into it maybe?20190428_195524.jpg

TGP (IL)

That's the flywheel housing drain hole.
It stay's open until you plan to ford water then a
Plug is installed.

Nothing to worry about, unless you have large amounts of
Oil running out.
Usually means leaky rear main seal.

Tom

exhogflyer

If you look about 6" to the right of the hole, you'll see a plug. That's the plug you put into the whole for water fording ( it's in a blind hole).

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can download the manulas for your truck for free right here on our site.

You should take the time to read the basic operators manual(at least).

It will explain things like this open hole, and most other basic questions.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-386-10.pdf
Is there a vendor that is selling hard copies?

Has there ever been a discussion of an edited, condensed version with some up to date notes and appendices? Then a thumb drive could be downloaded and taken to a printer and not print the redundant or moot part.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a whole folder full of manuals and I frequently confer with them to find stuff out. But I'm learning as I go and if I had known that was the flywheel (I did caution others about my ignorance) it would've been easier to search. I did a further search from the first response and came across another thread that turned into what this one has turned into.

I'm sure some who read this might be shaking their heads now and thinking I shouldn't own one of these. My confidence that I can figure things out, that I'm not afraid to ask for help even if it makes me look like an idiot, and ability to get things done one way or the other that I've done my whole life are reasons why I decided to buy something I know/knew nothing about.

I just thought it would be faster to quickly post the pic here and if people didn't want to respond, then I'd spend more time tracking it down.

My learning has been done by coming up with an idea, figuring out the terms of that part or place in the truck, researching what I can in the manuals and crawling around trying to do it. I know a professional car mechanic and he's helped on a number of things, but the truck is new to him as well. I also have a professional truck mechanic shop that will work on things that I feel are beyond me.

I do certainly appreciate the posts here and others I've received when I've made other posts/questions. Sometimes, like my post about "highway handling", I did about an hour's worth of searching on the board before posting. Thing is, my post was up and people started to reply did I find the keywords that I didn't know about in order to do a better search and/or follow the links that people posted about previous threads that I couldn't find because, again, my ignorance.

I hope I don't come across as sounding pissed in this post, I'm not. I just want to make my position (and ignorance) clear and to assure people that I will almost certainly continue to ask questions because I'd rather ask and be ignored than not ask. I will also keep looking through the manuals and I will probably miss stuff.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a whole folder full of manuals and I frequently confer with them to find stuff out. But I'm learning as I go and if I had known that was the flywheel (I did caution others about my ignorance) it would've been easier to search. I did a further search from the first response and came across another thread that turned into what this one has turned into.

I'm sure some who read this might be shaking their heads now and thinking I shouldn't own one of these. My confidence that I can figure things out, that I'm not afraid to ask for help even if it makes me look like an idiot, and ability to get things done one way or the other that I've done my whole life are reasons why I decided to buy something I know/knew nothing about.

I just thought it would be faster to quickly post the pic here and if people didn't want to respond, then I'd spend more time tracking it down.

My learning has been done by coming up with an idea, figuring out the terms of that part or place in the truck, researching what I can in the manuals and crawling around trying to do it. I know a professional car mechanic and he's helped on a number of things, but the truck is new to him as well. I also have a professional truck mechanic shop that will work on things that I feel are beyond me.

I do certainly appreciate the posts here and others I've received when I've made other posts/questions. Sometimes, like my post about "highway handling", I did about an hour's worth of searching on the board before posting. Thing is, my post was up and people started to reply did I find the keywords that I didn't know about in order to do a better search and/or follow the links that people posted about previous threads that I couldn't find because, again, my ignorance.

I hope I don't come across as sounding pissed in this post, I'm not. I just want to make my position (and ignorance) clear and to assure people that I will almost certainly continue to ask questions because I'd rather ask and be ignored than not ask. I will also keep looking through the manuals and I will probably miss stuff.
This is a good pamphlet on learning the names and location of parts on your truck ( also the things that need to be inspected regularly ).

GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
For the multi fuel Deuce all TM's in the 209 series books comprise 2.08GB on my drive
For the multi fuel Deuce all TM's in the 361 series books comprise 132 MB on my drive

They are all in PDF and very easy to search
Just open a set and click control F to get a find box
Type whatever it is you want in there and you will get to crystal clarity
If you are unsure what I mean then send me a PM with an email address
If you have google I can just send them all
Ask questions

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be afraid to ask, anything.

We all enjoy helping(in our own different ways).

If you need to learn(and share), this is the place for it!.

We're glad your here( I'm sure I speak for all).

Our site has some of the best people in the world here!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay... Is there a reason for the multiple angles and shape? My Cat A3 is not the same and I have't been under a multi fuel.
:driver:Attitudes it's all about your attitudes around here. Jack & Jill drove up a real steep hill to fetch a pale of water in there Deuce. Good thing as they had a good attitude and the Deuce never lost oil pressure.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks