• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What am I Missing/Overlooking? No Crank

my69camaro

I picked up a couple 1009's a while back and am just now starting to work on them... The one I am currently trying to get going is in the best shape... From the looks of it the only thing that was missing at time of pickup was the starter and glow plug card... I replaced the starter, don't have an extra card...

Problem, with the batts hooked up (they are new) and the key in the run position the gauges and lights come on except wait to start light (I assume because of no glow plug card:mrgreen:). Anyway when you turn it to the start position it does nothing, no crank or click... The starter relay inside is there (or at least what I think the starter relay is). The key is hard to turn to the start position, not insane but harder than normal.

I think I have that starter hooked up right; small wire on little terminal closest to engine block, and power wire to large terminal. Motor turns over by hand with breaker bar easy and oil looks good.

What am I forgetting?

dstang97

How do you know you have a good starter??

Then I would get the multi meter out. and a buddy your wireing is correct though.

Monkeyboyarmy

I am not sure about the small wire on the starter. 50/50 chance.If that isn't the problem,check the starter relay located under the dash near the radio plate.It is probably missing or inop.

my69camaro

True, I don't know if the starter is good I pulled it off a parts truck... I think what I'm looking at is the starter relay (left of ash tray) but again not sure if it's any good. How do I test either?

my69camaro

Swapped in another starter relay with no effect so looks like I'll drop the starter again... I know a few places that can test 12v stuff, will they be able to test this starter?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are having a hard time turning the key, it could be the ignition swith/attucation rod that are on the steering column.

When you turn the key it pushes a rod down to the switch. The switch in turn makes contact to engage the starter relay which energizes the starter motor.

Just something else to check.

The removal/replacement are covered in Chapter 4-13 of the -34 manual

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks