• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What antenna do I need for 450MHz?

Autonomy_Lost

I'm looking to install a functional antenna on my M998. I will be connecting it to a commercial radio at around 445-450MHz. I'm not too concerned with the amount of gain, but I want something in the proper frequency range. I'm looking for a military-style antenna with spring base so that it looks correct on the vehicle. I see lots of options on eBay for antennas, bases, and mounts, but I need a complete unit and I'm not sure which whips work with which bases.

Here is what I'm currently eyeing up:

Will that base work with that mount? And where can I find a whip that will work with that base?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm looking to install a functional antenna on my M998. I will be connecting it to a commercial radio at around 445-450MHz. I'm not too concerned with the amount of gain, but I want something in the proper frequency range. I'm looking for a military-style antenna with spring base so that it looks correct on the vehicle. I see lots of options on eBay for antennas, bases, and mounts, but I need a complete unit and I'm not sure which whips work with which bases.

Will that base work with that mount? And where can I find a whip that will work with that base?
I don't have one - but are you looking at a HAM set for your truck?
If so, do you mind asking what kind of radio you might be installing?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military wide band antennas are junk. SWR is usually 3:1 or more and 'gain' is usually measured in the negative...

Almost better off with a 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave on an NMO mount.. but you lose that military look.

Just about any military UHF antenna you find is gonna be for satellite work.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
BPV-220-520 is probably what you're looking for, but good luck finding one at a reasonable price.
only thing I found

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only thing I found
That would be it

Autonomy_Lost

The military wide band antennas are junk. SWR is usually 3:1 or more and 'gain' is usually measured in the negative...

Almost better off with a 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave on an NMO mount.. but you lose that military look.

Just about any military UHF antenna you find is gonna be for satellite work.
Hmm, okay well thanks for the honest answer. I currently have a 1/4 wave whip antenna which works fine, but I was hoping for something that looks more correct on the vehicle. It doesn't necessarily need to be the exact correct antenna, I'm just going for aesthetics. I'm thinking about rigging up some sort of commercial antenna that I can spray paint OD green, but even with that I'm having a hard time finding something with the right look.

Autonomy_Lost

I might have one of those AS-3449 available
If you do, let me know how much you want for it. I'm not sure if it will work for my application or not. The spec sheet says 10W continuous or 200W peak at 2% duty cycle. I'm thinking it will handle 40W transmissions fine but probably worth calling the manufacturer for some clarification.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low power handling capacity could be an issue. Most mobiles are around 40-50W.
An AS-3449 antenna is standard for a VSQ-2 EPLRS which transmits 100W on high power. Duty cycle might be a factor since it’s a TDMA FH data radio. Again, I don’t know how the antenna specs would work out for non-standard use. I’m probably overlooking aspects of your application, just offering observations.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

Wayback machine... 20 years ago when Murphy Surplus was selling them "cheap" picked up three of them. Coupled up to Motorola MCS2000, 420 to 450, 40 watt rigs. Uses a male "N" connector. VSWR flat across the band and exhibits 4-5 dB gain as published.

AS-3449/VSQ-1 Darn near unbreakable. Works like a million buck for HAM 440 band and the military HD use. Never an issue. Two are still in service.

WA6CAM - WA6VVC, CAMO

P1010043.JPGDJI00050.JPG

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wayback machine... 20 years ago when Murphy Surplus was selling them "cheap" picked up three of them. Coupled up to Motorola MCS2000, 420 to 450, 40 watt rigs. Uses a male "N" connector. VSWR flat across the band and exhibits 4-5 dB gain as published.

Darn near unbreakable. Works like a million buck for HAM 440 band and the military HD use. Never an issue. Two are still in service.

WA6CAM - WA6VVC, CAMO

View attachment 844044View attachment 844045
Off topic, but my M1031 had antennas for 2m, 440, general coverage RX (no HF), CB, 2.4 Ghz, 700/800 Mhz, and another VHF 1/4 wave used for a TV antenna, in addition to the reinforced 3/4 pipe flange that I could screw a 10' pipe into, and guy down, if I needed a long wire for HF or the extra elevation, since the top of the pole had a waterproof junction box I mounted an NMO on top of, with RG8 running down the pipe... slipped right through the flange and was watertight when connected, or when not in use it was plugged...

I will be redoing something similar on my deuce, just gotta factor in height this time, heh.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Darn near unbreakable. Works like a million buck for HAM 440 band and the military HD use. Never an issue. Two are still in service.

WA6CAM - WA6VVC, CAMO

View attachment 844044View attachment 844045
You hanging from a tree on that shot ?.....oh...thats right ...no trees out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks