• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are safe speeds to engage the front axel?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey just what the questions says. Is it even safe to engage the front end while the truck is in motion? I have never tried but i have wanted to before. what do you all know about it?
If the rears start to spin, I ease off on the accelerator pedal and engage the front....done it with the deuce and the 8x8 for years.
This is what the 8x8 TM states, no mention of any speed limit. Same should apply to the deuce.
Edit: Found note for m35 (TM 9-2320-209-10 C5)

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Man50, you might need to take the air line to the piston that locks in 6wd off and squirt some air tool oil in there. Sometimes they stick.

stud_man50

We bought some Air tool oil and I found the Diagram in the TM-24P, cant I just disconnect the hose at the switch and let it run all the way through the piping to the transfer-case. Also how much oil? a couple drops or a couple good squirts?

stumps

The problem with adding the oil there is that although it probably would, it might not make its way to the cylinder.... it is a closed system, where flipping the switch lets the air fill the cylinder, and releasing the switch lets the air come back down the line, and out through the switch.

I would add about 1 teaspoon worth of oil down at the cylinder.

-Chuck

stud_man50

I took a look at the transfer case and disconnected the line from the transfer-case and a little fluid came out, spelled like gear oil. I figured it might do this without some kind of back-pressure. so I traced the plastic tubing up to the cab and found that it was not only kinked but melted, I straightened it out which caused a hole. I have found the nsn:4720-01-058-7213 but I cant get on FLS and order it for private use... I guess I need to find an equivalent for the tubing and either a way to splice or replace the whole line. also how to easily disconnect those "quick" connect fittings.