• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the current prices on LDT-465-1D rebuilt in crate

Brad900

I'm wondering what the current prices for a gov. rebuilt LDT-465-1D are? Trying to figure out if I want to have a spare just in case.

Thanks

tommys2patrick

I was wondering the same thing. I see several are coming out on an auction site. Might even be good just for spare parts. Be interested to hear what others think on current $$$ value.

pmramsey

I have seen them offered by a few companies and individuals over the last year in the $5000-$7000 range. However, no one knows for sure if any were actually sold and at what price. One factor is whether the engine is set up for deuce or 5-ton operation. I have a 1975 Mack M54A1. There are times when I dream of replacing the Mack engine with the multi-fuel to upgrade to an M54A2. But in moments of truth, I know I'll never actually change the engine even if someone give me one.

AMGeneral

I have seen them offered by a few companies and individuals over the last year in the $5000-$7000 range. However, no one knows for sure if any were actually sold and at what price. One factor is whether the engine is set up for deuce or 5-ton operation. I have a 1975 Mack M54A1. There are times when I dream of replacing the Mack engine with the multi-fuel to upgrade to an M54A2. But in moments of truth, I know I'll never actually change the engine even if someone give me one.
Why in the world would you want to replace that pinnacle of MV engines,with a Multifuel?

Wouldn't that be a downgrade of sorts?

If you do the swap,I'll buy the Mack from you.

Last edited:

pmramsey

Why in the world would you want o replace that pinnacle of MV engines,with a Multifuel?

Wouldn't that be a downgrade of sorts?

If you do the swap,I'll buy the Mack from you.
Strange as it may seem, the 5-ton version of the multi-fuel is a whole different animal than the deuce version at least in the horsepower dept. The 5-tom version puts out 220 horsepower which is more than the Mack engine. The multi-fuel M54 is the M54A2

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apologies. Thought it would be OK as I did not mention a specific auction. However, will not make any auction reference in future. Thanks.
So long as it's not "Henry's auction will have multifuels for sale" type postings, it's ok to be vague.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently acquired a rebuilt one "sealed in the container" and paid way more then expected. I could have bought a complete truck. None the less, it's what I wanted to do.

tommys2patrick

I recently acquired a rebuilt one "sealed in the container" and paid way more then expected. I could have bought a complete truck. None the less, it's what I wanted to do.
Any thoughts on a rough number you paid, plus or minus a few hundred dollars say?? Some of us have no feel at all for the $$ value or reasonable market conditions.

pmramsey

Well the actual value is a mote thing as they have set minimum bids of $3000.00. That's way to "out of line" for me.
Take another look rustystud. yes, the minimum bid was $3000 it was found on Tuesday. There were many other bidders but no others were "reserve met." However, after the auction was over tonight, all the bids in the entire auction suddenly became "Reserve Met" no matter what the bid, including some at $2000. Go see for yourself.

tommys2patrick

Take another look rustystud. yes, the minimum bid was $3000 it was found on Tuesday. There were many other bidders but no others were "reserve met." However, after the auction was over tonight, all the bids in the entire auction suddenly became "Reserve Met" no matter what the bid, including some at $2000. Go see for yourself.
Seems like way too much money. Does not seem fair to the guy/gal that bid $3000 thinking none could go for less. But if you need an engine what are you going to do.

rustystud

Seems like GL is up to there old tricks again. I still wouldn't pay that much for a rebuilt engine that is 60 years old. For that kind of money I would put in a good IHC DT466 or maybe a Duramax with a Allison behind it.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Multifuel engine. For what it is, it's a great engine. But I'm not married to it. So when mine finally goes to the "great scrap yard" in the sky I will be putting in a modern engine. More fun parts to play with and cheaper too.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Strange as it may seem, the 5-ton version of the multi-fuel is a whole different animal than the deuce version at least in the horsepower dept. The 5-tom version puts out 220 horsepower which is more than the Mack engine. The multi-fuel M54 is the M54A2
I think you may need to check your specs a little better, The LDS-465-1A makes 175 HP in the M39 series 5 tons,the ONLY version of the multifuel that makes 200 hp+ is the LDS 465-2,which was produced for the M656 and M757 trucks with the allison auto.

BOTH versions of the multifuel are lacking almost 200 ft/lbs of torque over the 673 Mack in stock form.

I have owned,driven,and pulled loaded and unloaded trailers with all 3 engines in various M39 series trucks,the Mack beats the other 2 hands down,with the 6602 Gas being a close second,and the LDS Multi being dead last in the power department.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks