• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what are the requierments to classify my deuce as a farm truck?

TexAndy

Farmers around here register their F-350s as farm trucks all the time, so I can't imagine why a stock deuce wouldn't qualify.

What do you plan to do with your deuce?

Imapapallama

well originaly it was a m35a2 and me and my son swapped out the bed for a m109 box and realized bad idea, now since im buying land to retire on, we need a truck to use to haul the tools and stuff out there and haul timber and stuff away. so we plan on putting the box out there and putting a a2c on to work with. its just the size if truck and inspecting it. i just dont wanna have to install running lights.

NRG

I would check with your state laws first. Check to see what the conditions are for a farm truck. I have no doubt that you can get it licensed as a farm vehicle but farm vehicles have some strict rules they have to follow. In Oregon, I was looking into getting my M35 licensed as a farm vehicle but chose not to due to the fact they they only allow farm vehicles to travel so far from the farm. If caught outside of that range you can be issue a ticket.

So if its only going to be used close to or on your property then I would go with the farm license route. But if you like driving it away from your property, then I would really encourage you to look at your laws first to see how well that would work for you.

runk

If you can register it in the same farm truck category as a pickup, there are essentially no restrictions on use in Texas (other then owing a farm or ranch ...).
As for the lights, if it is already registered and titled in Texas, you probably won't have to add them. If it hasn't been registered in Texas yet, the current law (changed last year or the year before) says you have to comply with current requirements to pass the initial inspection - I had to add 5 on top of the cab, 3 on each side, 3 in the back center, and modify the front parking light wiring so they were on with the headlights. If you notice on the road, all the newer dually pickups have all the marker lights now. I took the racks, bows, and tarp off the bed for the inspection to avoid any issues with high rear and side marker lights. Now, some inspection places may be less picky then others....

XM 2742

It just may qualify for a slow moveing vehicle triangle and you will eliminate even the plate requirement.

The key is a designed speed not over 45. Down hill in a tail wind doesn't count.

farm plates have a 200 mile range limit and a few other restrictions but I keep my truck on the property so plates and such are not an issue. With plates you will not be covered for a farm sales tax exemption but you can get most of that back from the feds at tax time.

Have fun on the farm with your truck, it will be a workhorse that you will cherish.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in TN the cops leave the farm trucks alone. It's bad politics to pick on the farmers so most cops just leave them alone unless it's something very obvious. The law even lets you haul 10' wide with farm tags where the rest of the public has to stay under 8'6" without a permit.

Imapapallama

i already have it registered as a military vehicale, but i live right next to fort hood so im sure they'll leave me alone ether way, but the question is, leave it as military or register it as a farm truck?

DrFuzzy

I'm going the farm truck route with mine (why have a vehicle with a 5 ton hauling capacity if you can't haul anything).

As long as you're within 150 air-miles miles of your farm or ranch, you're legal. Practically that means if you're within 150 miles of Texas you won't get busted for hauling things.

Remember you can use a farm truck to haul supplies and workers to and from your farm, you can go to school, the grocery store and church. Don't stop at a bar.

You pay 1/2 of the commercial registration fee for your truck's weight (I was quoted $200 a year for registration).

My next step is getting an inspection. Fixed a loose wire in the headlights, but I'm waiting on a shipment of parking bulbs from Saturn Surplus. Don't know if they'll bust me for things like inop wipers (but see, there's a manual option, just flip this back and forth and the wipers move) or lack of clearance lights. Will post next week once I pass or fail.

Don't haul more than 502 gallons of diesel fuel...that puts you in the hazmat category. More than 119 gallons of diesel fuel requires a placard and shipping papers (placard is "NA 1993").

Please let us know how your experience goes...

--Fuzzy

79driver

Im in texas and have farm tags on my duece. They never batted an eye and i also drive it everywhere and have had no problems with the law. I also didnt have to add any extra lights and i think it was also about only $110 a year to register it. Id go the farm truck route over former MV because you can use it for almost everything vs. having restrictions over where you can go, what you can carry, ect.

Imapapallama

i first i got to take this m109 box off and put a reg bed back on it, but ill stay posted and let me know how it works out for you fuzzy.

Last edited:

DrFuzzy

i first i got to take this m109 box off and put a reg bed back on it, but ill stay posted and let me know how it works out for you fuzzy.
I doubt that you need to change the bed of the truck...who says you're not carrying farm supplies or people in the cab. The tax office will never even see your vehicle... just the inspection station, and all they care about is lights, brakes and uncracked windshields.

--Fuzzy

TexAndy

Im in texas and have farm tags on my duece. They never batted an eye and i also drive it everywhere and have had no problems with the law. I also didnt have to add any extra lights and i think it was also about only $110 a year to register it. Id go the farm truck route over former MV because you can use it for almost everything vs. having restrictions over where you can go, what you can carry, ect.
Different set of restrictions, is it not?

I'd say just go with whichever one attracts the least attention.

Imapapallama

no, thats not the point fuzzy. the point of removing the box is the truck has super singles and because of the thinner track, its far easier to tip it over. thats not good when offroad. plus we plan on putting the box on the land to turn in to a cabin and useing a A2C bed for working. plus trying to avoid having to adding running lights.

Last edited:

TexAndy

You're just going to turn the box into a cabin?

How much do you want for the box and what kind of shape is it in? I'd love to swap the cargo bed for a 109 box on one of my deuces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks