• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these hubs?

ccf460

I just bought an M46A2c. It has some odd looking hubs. Anybody know what they are for? Looks like some kind of lifting eye, or something?
hub3.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a lift point.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 had some, I think.

Maybe he can confirm.

phil2968

These are one set that Kenny had. I borrowed them for a bit. Microjeep has the now. They are lockout hubs however. Rare but different than the OP's pic.uploadfromtaptalk1410400061944.jpg

Gun Goober

I saw a similar thing on the front of a truck many many years ago. It was used with the tire tool, like a winch, to pull a vehicle. Tie a rope to the tire tool, spin the tire slowly, it pulls the vehicle out of a ditch etc.

ke5eua

I saw a similar thing on the front of a truck many many years ago. It was used with the tire tool, like a winch, to pull a vehicle. Tie a rope to the tire tool, spin the tire slowly, it pulls the vehicle out of a ditch etc.
What I was going to say. Self recovery type device. Saw them on the HMMWVs mostly.

ccf460

Cool. I knew that I have never seen any like them. I have AVM hubs for the truck (kept them from selling my other truck). But i have a friend whose truck they will probably go to, can't see them going to waste.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't believe none of you guys know the real answer! There have been several threads about these.

Let me go look and I'll find the thread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that all of the speculation is done, I will tell everyone exactly what they are, their stated purpose and where to find them...........tomorrow.

Just kidding. These are in fact, a lifting point. The only trucks theses are found on are the M45 and M46 chassis trucks that had water purification bodies on them. You will not find them in any deuce TMs either. They are referred to as a lifting kit and consist of 3 main pieces. The center spins so forget using that as a winch point. The reason behind them is that erdalator trucks are super heavy and slinging them from the front bumper could bend the frame. They can be found in the erdalator TM. I have a set of unused ones out in the shed.

liftkitpic.jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't believe none of you guys know the real answer! There have been several threads about these.

Let me go look and I'll find the thread.
Old and short: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?1481-Attention-Deuce-Owners

side discussion: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?50949-M35A2-Advice

a little more: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?98725-water-purification-truck

Edit to add: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?45480-Front-Axle-Flange-Design

I've never read a valid reason why only the water purification trucks have the weird drive flanges. Self recovery doesn't make sense: Only 15% of the deuces the military bought had winches, so if self recovery was an issue, they'd have issued these on all the trucks.

I suspect they have something to do with the water purification gear, since they're the only ones with them. Who knows what.

I'll bet somebody who was in a unit deployed with these is the right person to ask. Or a TM. rofl

Just kidding. These are in fact, a lifting point. The only trucks theses are found on are the M45 and M46 chassis trucks that had water purification bodies on them. You will not find them in any deuce TMs either. They are referred to as a lifting kit and consist of 3 main pieces. The center spins so forget using that as a winch point. The reason behind them is that erdalator trucks are super heavy and slinging them from the front bumper could bend the frame. They can be found in the erdalator TM. I have a set of unused ones out in the shed.
Learn something every day. I don't remember this from any of our prior discussions on these.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks