• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are you guys paying?

Jacobl

Ok what are y'all paying for your trucks? I'm looking at one now but it's not like you can hit up KBB and there aren't enough of them floating around Craigslist to compare...

I'm going to look at a dually M1008 in decent shape from the photos, but has some quirks like charging issues, and a horrendous turning radius which the owner thinks is a steering stabilizer being the wrong size...

Anyway, I'd like to see/hear about what everyone else is seeing/paying.

Thanks in advance and I hope to join the club soon!

drewzee87t

Here's a photo of the one I'm looking at... asking $5,200
That's a nice looking truck for only two pictures. I would say that's a reasonable ask price. What are you going to pull with a dually on a 138 hp is what I want to know? It has a bunch of aftermarket gauges from the looks of it and the interior is about as nice as I have ever seen. I would buy it if I was looking, or very serious consider it. Still not sure on the dually thing.

Best luck with your new whatever you call it. That's a nice nice looking rig pending the rest of the story!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With aftermarket gauges carved into the dash, I would say you have wiring mods. Could be okay, could be bad. That could be part of the charging issue if the installer didn't know that the Gen2 light was required. Steering is likely caused by uncorrected geometry when installing the lift kit. Looks like it's worth the asking price, are you comfortable troubleshooting wiring demons? With it being modded, we may not be much help.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would make sure it has a Dana 70 HD rear axle with heavier springs and the correct mounting hardware if it is an M1008. It will have 4" axle tubes. You do not want a 14 bolt rear end with spacers to make a dually if wanting a real work dually. Not enough pictures to fully evaluate . Most dually conversions were on M1028 and M1031.

Haoleb

I recently sold my M1028A2 for 10k but it was in much nicer condition than the one in the photos. The guy who bought mine was into older chevy trucks. Knew nothing about the military aspect of it and wanted it for a work truck. Prices can vary just depends on the condition and the buyer.

You can tell if it has the Dana 70HD axle by looking on the top side of rear the "pumpkin" towards the front of the truck you'll see 70HD cast into the housing.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks more like parts were thrown on it. Frankenstein CUCV
Agree that the added gauges could be issue.
The M1008 did not get the dual kit to my knowledge.

Is it worth it? That's up to you.
With it being modified like that I personally wouldn't even look at it.

Jacobl

Hmmm haha wide range of responses...
mileage: just over 60k
guages: installed in dash but never wired up as he wanted to sort out the charging issue first.
condition: it looks good inside/out with the exception of a small rust spot on the front fender which is in the ad's photos
modifications: its got a suspension lift, has the interior reworked/replaced, and has the turbo set up from a deuce (which is cool, but at the same time makes me nervous)
issues: he's admitted the charging system issues, the turning radius is a joke, the headlights aren't reliable (related to charging issue?), the fuel tank apparently has some pin holes in the top of it...rust?... but he has a brand new fuel tank still in the box that juts needs installation and is passing that on with the truck
usage: I honestly don't have any reason to buy it, it would just be for fun. I liked that it was dually cuz I've never seen that on a CUCV before (I have now that I've seen one and have googled a bit), but I've never towed anything and don't plan to in the future. I just wanted a pickup truck of some sort as we just bought a house and a laundromat and the renovations for both of them are starting to take a toll on our little SUV which was DEFINITELY NOT designed as a workhorse... it also sounds like there aren't any MAJOR issues, so I'll be able to tinker with it and somewhat easily get it drivable while still playing with other parts of it. I'm not too worried about it being an bastardized military vehicle as I have always been a "restomod" kinda guy...unless it's a rare classic, then I'd leave it alone... those gauges will be going away though I don't like too much crap going on in the dash and I definitely can't stand mismatched colors/styles so the dash would be repaired and then maybe different gauges installled on a plate under the dash if they're required for the turbo.

3jumpjeep

That's a nice looking truck for only two pictures. I would say that's a reasonable ask price. What are you going to pull with a dually on a 138 hp is what I want to know? It has a bunch of aftermarket gauges from the looks of it and the interior is about as nice as I have ever seen. I would buy it if I was looking, or very serious consider it. Still not sure on the dually thing.

Best luck with your new whatever you call it. That's a nice nice looking rig pending the rest of the story!
'86 M1028A2 pulling nearly 10k loaded weight 5th wheel. It does just fine and is very stable. The only negatives are 50mph and no AC, but I'm not in a hurry and have experience with sweat. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jacobl

**** that thing looks good with the trailer behind it!

I am probably mistaken by calling it a m1008, I'm still new to this whole thing and wasn't sure which designation the duallys received

3jumpjeep

**** that thing looks good with the trailer behind it!

I am probably mistaken by calling it a m1008, I'm still new to this whole thing and wasn't sure which designation the duallys received
Check the military "contract" plate inside the door. If it's a true M1028A2 it's easily worth the money...provided the pictures tell it's story.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some basic information for you-
There were no production dually CUCVs for the military, all were converted from single rear wheel trucks with a kit. Many were done in depots, some were converted by units.

M1028A2 was converted from M1028A1 and M1031
M1028A3 was converted from M1028, thus the different transfer case.
The truck should have two data plates, one for it's original configuration, and one for the conversion.
The "differences" table attached is from the manual.

I do not know of any converted from M1008. Doesn't mean they weren't necessarily, just haven't found any evidence of it so far.

As mentioned above, these trucks are slow, 55 is pretty much the limit for cruising speed. They will go a little faster when pushed, but they don't like it and will make you pay for it eventually. I know there are some on here who say "I drive mine at 105mph pulling a 5-ton on a tow bar". I have my doubts.
My 1028 will hold its 55mph speed just fine going up a hill (my M1009s will not), so long as I'm not pulling a trailer. With any weight on the trailer, there goes your speed!

I paid $6500 for mine (tan one below, picture taken the day I bought it), but I would definitely not consider that a typical price for a truck in that condition (which is why I bought it :p).
The last 1028A2 I saw sell at military auction went for $7200, it was fairly nice but still needed work.
The camo ones in the attached picture are listed as "your choice, $6500 each", which seems more typical.

Mine started life as an '86 M1031, and was converted at Tooele in 1991.

Cheers

Attachments

Jacobl

Ok sounds more promising, I texted the current owner for a photo of the plate and a time to go see and hear it. The more I'm reading here and on the technical/trouble shooting threads, the more comfortable with the project I am.

Thanks for the info! Some really great looking trucks on here for sure! I'm not super worried about speed as this will be a toy and I'm rarely in a rush. The owner also says he's reworked the axles completely to give it a much more comfortable top speed

Haoleb

With the added photos, I wouldn't touch that thing. Too much tinkering has gone on with it. Smoke stack. Motor swap... meh.. It looks more like a big headache rather than a toy. IMO.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haoleb does have a point. Remember that the further it strays into "modified", the less it's actual value as a military vehicle.
Also, look closely at the truck/pictures to see how much of the original equipment is missing (the front shackles and the battery trays, for example), and how well the modifications have been done. The poor steering would suggest that the lift kit wasn't exactly a professional job, so look into that closely. Is it safe to operate on the street? Will your insurance cover an extensively modified truck?
Points to ponder.

But only you can decide what is best for you. :beer:

Cheers