• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can you do with a MV radio?

kwiksilver

Seems like fun but are there any practical things you can do? Can you get on a skip like cb's and chat with other MV radio guys? What is the best one to look for?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since MV radios are on frequencies that are not open to the public, and only some of them are available to HAM radio licensees, bout all you can legally do is listen! Now if you are far enough out in the boonies (20+ miles to the next human), and run low enough power (think 1/2 watt or less), you can probably get away with it - because no-one will hear you! Not much fun is it?

kwiksilver

Does the military still use those freq's? I could deal with listening. Friend of mine use to relay personal messages to submarines. That was cool

combat32

With the squelch in the off position you can tune in local TV stations, used to listen to the price is right and family feud all the time when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.

Aswayze

Most of the VHF radios that went in vehicles can hit the 6 meter ham band. We use our radios in 6m all the time for convoys as well as at events usually running 51 MHz.

VHF **generally** doesn’t skip unless you manage to catch the right atmospheric conditions, known as Sporatic-E or E-skip when the E layer of the ionosphere is charged. Then, all the sudden you are talking WAY WAY out there.

I have many many VHF military radios that I use for East Wind events but the one that generally lives in the deuce is an RT-524. Low power (where I almost always use it) is about 5 watts and high on mine hits about 52 watts.

You can no longer catch broadcast TV on the military radio sets since the advent of digital TV.

As long as you get the tech ham license (which is a snap to get) it’s all legal and makes running around in the trucks a great deal more amusing. I highly recommend it.

mistaken1

Transmitting on frequencies for which one is not licensed is not just an issue of annoying legitimate users, it is illegal and the FCC fines are stiff for willful violations.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I have done that too. But, now that the FCC has eliminated analog TV, the signals will sound sort of "different" :)

There might possibly be someone in your neighborhood still using an old 48 or 49 MHz telephone, or a baby monitor. Might not be so neighborly to listen in though.

If you get on the web and type a search for your city name and 'scanner', or 'frequency list', or variants of that, you will find out what services are still active in this part of the band.

You might hear hams on 51 MHz. That's the preferred frequency for green radios.

I like the European tactical sets because they often operate lower, like down to 25 MHz. That gives them 10 meter ham band coverage, and CB. Even though you won't hear much FM on CB, most anything is ignored there!

It's fairly easy to get a ham license now. Then you can still not have anyone to talk to on wideband FM, LOL.

With the squelch in the off position you can tune in local TV stations, used to listen to the price is right and family feud all the time when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.

Aswayze

Just get the license… It’s easy and then you can do it legally.

Nobody to talk to on wideband FM?

The ONLY people I want to talk to are on wideband FM!

Why would I want to talk to other Ham operators? I want to talk to the other MV guys I am running around with not random goofy old men.

gunboy1656

Transmitting on frequencies for which one is not licensed is not just an issue of annoying legitimate users, it is illegal and the FCC fines are stiff for willful violations.

The fines may be stiff, but I would love to see them come to some of the off road places people take their trucks, or for that matter fine someone with a man pack radio (prc77) out in the middle of nowhere. Somehow I don't see that happening.

mistaken1

The fines may be stiff, but I would love to see them come to some of the off road places people take their trucks, or for that matter fine someone with a man pack radio (prc77) out in the middle of nowhere. Somehow I don't see that happening.
The HAMs will track one down just for the sport of it then turn them in to the FCC. Their field days are all about getting out of the shack and operating for 24 hours out of doors.

HOMING IN -- Radio Direction Finding (Radio Foxhunting, Transmitter Hunting, ARDF) for Amateur Radio and Public Service

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
That "Ham Car" is a rolling invitation for grand theft auto! Leave it unattended in any major city, and you'd find that there had been a big boom in the used electronics business.

As far as the previously mentioned "talking skip" goes, CB was restricted in both output power and transmission distance for very valid reasons. Yes, both can be defeated, but it requires extra equipment and is still illegal.

Keep in mind, too, that violating FCC rules is a federal crime and federal penalties tend to be considerably tougher than state or local penalties.

Since radio is an inherently unsecure form of communications, anyone with a receiver tuned to your operating frequency can hear both sides of your conversation. That "anybody" could be a federal marshal, a "church lady," a Boy Scout, a local LEO,...the list is endless...any one of whom could (and should) report the violation.

O.D. Fever

Most of those laws for phones , text do not apply to hams as we have a fed. lic., as far as hams tracking you down, thats what some love to do. I for one can use a code key strapped to my leg and head copy code , send and receive and obey the traffic laws at the same time. As far as a Military radio, I have have a British Clansman HF manpack coming with all the extras, so I will be using that in the M.V.'s. Code only while moble, voice when the engine is off.. WV8K Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks