• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Causes Fuel Tank Collapse?

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Experienced “fuel starvation” symptom of reduced power requiring increased throttle to maintain speed. Was able to make the trip back to my shop, but just barely. Humvee still starts immediately, idles without a problem. Was looking under the truck today and much to my surprise, noticed the fuel tank collapsed. Opened fuel cap and tank did not go back to original shape.
Lateral scrapes on fuel tank and frame rails are from the truck being lifted by fork lift at the GovPlanet yard (I witnessed this). Tank was not collapsed at that time.
Any ideas what would cause the collapse? For the curious, this is an 1152A1 #347XXX, 300 total miles since new. I’ve owned it for two years, tank collapsed last week when it experienced “fuel starvation”.

C290EEF9-27D3-4D35-A2BC-F4EA183CA1EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a fuel tank vent that comes up near the air filter intake. It's just a hose with what looks like a fuel filter sitting on the end of it.
If the fuel tank vent gets plugged it could possibly cause that.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never in 30yrs anything like it…that tank is hard as hell.
I have a NOS fuel tank to replace it with, but still need to determine the cause. Will start by inspecting the vent line as suggested by Coug. No doubt the fuel pump is a good one, as CAMO said. One thing for sure…the entire fuel system is air tight! This is one for the books if even Steve/RWH hasn’t had a tank collapse.
Will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOS fuel tank to replace it with, but still need to determine the cause. Will start by inspecting the vent line as suggested by Coug. No doubt the fuel pump is a good one, as CAMO said. One thing for sure…the entire fuel system is air tight! This is one for the books if even Steve/RWH hasn’t had a tank collapse.
Will keep everyone posted.
there is an anti-roll over valve that the vent line connects too, you should replace that and blow the vent line out with compressed air as well, the vent filter you can pull off and just see if you can blow through it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it anywhere near the Titanic? That will never happen to most of us. The ladies can't get us to vacuum. I thought this might be a rare occurrence but it happens. https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/488155-fuel-tank-imploded-not-catastrophic-2.html

One fella took his tank in the shower with him, filled it with hot water, gave it a hot blow with a hair dryer and it's all fixed. Soon they'll be married.

The old Early Deuce fuel cap had 3 settings. One for Fording, one for regular running and one which is used the most, open for more filling.

Is the HMMWV set up with a Fording Fuel Cap?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it anywhere near the Titanic? That will never happen to most of us. The ladies can't get us to vacuum. I thought this might be a rare occurrence but it happens. https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/488155-fuel-tank-imploded-not-catastrophic-2.html

One fella took his tank in the shower with him, filled it with hot water, gave it a hot blow with a hair dryer and it's all fixed. Soon they'll be married.

The old Early Deuce fuel cap had 3 settings. One for Fording, one for regular running and one which is used the most, open for more filling.

Is the HMMWV set up with a Fording Fuel Cap?
I believe all the HMMWV caps are sealed, it depends on a vent line to vent the tank.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me a story going around the dealership where I worked in the 70s
A guy buys a VW Rabbit diesel, fills the tank and drives to Corpus Christi, around 130 miles, he can only get a little over a gallon of diesel in the tank, drives back to SA and again can only get a little over a gallon in the tank, thinks he has a vehicle with the best fuel economy in the world, a few days later it quits, they tow it to the dealer where they discover the fuel tank has been sucked flat! :ROFLMAO:

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is an anti-roll over valve that the vent line connects too, you should replace that and blow the vent line out with compressed air as well, the vent filter you can pull off and just see if you can blow through it.
Removed vent line valve and found it to be completed clogged. Truck now runs fine. Will change out the fuel tank when I run out of other things more important to complete at the moment. Thanks to all for your input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks