• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What color is this 806a?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
The top panel and one side panel have significant rust. I'd like to re paint a similar color. Has anyone found a spray paint that matches this unit? Thanks.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
It would behoove you to simply sand blast the whole thing. These things are world famous for the rust and paint pealing off them.
So I am tempted to do that, I picked up 300 stainless replacement fasteners already. I have not taken a single panel off, how is the sound deadener / insulation attached on the inside of the panels? or do the panels come off easily?

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, a close look at the -24P would show you the Insolation, and that it is held in place by plastic fasteners. As old as they are, they will probably all break, or more likely crumble to moon dust. They can be found in the internet. I used acordles screw driver. Most if not all the top screws will break off. a quick look at the -24P will tell you how many, and what kind of fastener you will need to get.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Oh I am stocked for fasteners, all replacements are stainless steel. The insulation makes it sound more like an entire weekend project than a quick job. I do want to mitigate all the rust so it can live a long time.

Ray70

As for paint, your best bet is going to be to repaint the whole thing. There is nothing available at the local box store that will match very good.
If you really want to make it look like it did when new , use Rapco parts # 34094 383 Green CARC substitute. If you don't have a spray gun you can get a cheap one at Harbor freight or use an airless sprayer ( just be careful not to apply too heavy )
Then have some stencils made up ( several places on-line make custom stencils including Custom Cut Stencils.com ) and redo some of the stencils using black high heat Rust Oleum in a spray can. It will cost a little bit but your machine will look like the day it rolled off the line.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks for the info, I despise rust so I will likely take the longer option. So, if I enlist the 3 children maybe we can get all the panels off in a weekend. Happen to have any links to the insulation clips I am going to break?

Guyfang

Staff member
NSN: 5320-01-366-4394
Part number: 88-20210 (the part number in the TM is wrong)
Fig. 5
Item 8
Company that provided the fasteners to the gov: Illinois Tool Company, FASTEX Div.

The company FASTEX is alive and well. I THINK I saw the fasteners in their add/search machine.
Cost to the gov. $00.04 per piece.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks guys, I want to get everything together so I can get this done as efficiently as possible. 100 should cover it, just a random guess.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Cool this works, need to get these ordered, some paint and bug my wife to use the Cricut to make some stencils haha 😄

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Well, a close look at the -24P would show you the Insolation, and that it is held in place by plastic fasteners. As old as they are, they will probably all break, or more likely crumble to moon dust. They can be found in the internet. I used acordles screw driver. Most if not all the top screws will break off. a quick look at the -24P will tell you how many, and what kind of fastener you will need to get.
When I start snapping off fasteners, am I going to need a hand full of easy outs to get the other half out?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

NOTE, Your genset is probably painted with CARC 383.

CARC is not a breathing lungs friend. Proper care is to be taken with sand blasting, removal.

Read up on CARC paint.
That is why all the rattle cans, and gallons all say 383 CARC substitute.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks