• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What color paint should I go with for this...

edpdx

I am in the middle of a restoration of my M416 1/4T trailer. I have to decide if I should paint it in the Original 24087 Vietnam/Korean Semi-Gloss Olive Drab (what I found under the current white paint :cookoo:. OR the CARC 383 to match the solid one-color 383 paint on my Blazer.

I like the look of the 24087; but I don't want to look like a doof with a mismatched trailer do I?

24087.JPG Here is one in the Vietnam /Korea paint.

L1A1

I guess it would depend on what time period you want your trailer to portray. As fist issued back in the 1960s painted 24087 or painted CARC just before it left the service. I guess if you really wanted to be authentic, you could do it up in 24087 including white stencils and then paint over the everything with CARC using a 4" house brush. That would be the most historically accurate. As for matching your truck. They never really did in service so that's a personal choice. An M1009 w/ matching M416 would be a sharp set up (IMO).

I'm new to M416 (trailers in general) ownership. I'm planing on restoring mine back to early 1970s USMC so it matches my M151A2.
Matt

Jimma

Some will say return it to origional. I say do what you like. Personally I would want it to match my vehicle so that it does not appear to the public as a paint mistake or mismatch.

edpdx

Thanks for the replies, I'd wait for more of them; but I guess I didn't need much of a push toward "matching" the trailer to my M1009.

I do love the look of the 20847; but I can see how I would draw looks from folks thinking: hmmm, nice but he didn't get the colors right.
My first trailer, and not at all a difficult task. I'm off to get the wheel bearings now. Oddly enough the brake shoes are fine. I'll order a stencil kit as soon as I figure out what the registration number OR serial number Larsens is asking for?

I know there is a trailer section; but I wanted to make this an extension of my M1009I hope it can stay in this forum.

sand1.jpg

sand2.jpg

shock brakes.jpg

liner.jpg

primed.jpg

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking trailer in the picture. I don't think it would be terrible if it didn't match, your truck and trailer are from vastly different generations. Perhaps a semi-gloss trailer was all the motor pool had available when you went to pick it up?

Who has the tires available? My M416's tires are in terrible shape.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say go camo to match the Blazer. Plenty of M416 trailers were used in the 1980s and 1990s when 3-color camo was made standard. The trailers lasted a bit longer than the M151 jeeps in military use, a few still trickle out here and there. 3-color camo would be fine for originality.

Keep up the good work!