• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What commercial steel wheel will bolt up to a lm/fmtv hub ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is which type of steel semi truck wheels will bolt up to our hubs worse case senario if you had to put a semi truck tire/s and wheels on to get home on ? It use to be easy to all the semis where 10 hole hubs now theres piloted and big stud vs small stud and with these wheels having the big ctis stud i would think it would be old school 10 hole like a 11/22.5 or 11/24.5 wheel but im not sure !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So @simp5782 just told me that plain old BUDD wheels will bolt up to our hubs so good thing to know if you get stuck out and cant get 395/20s you can use commercial truck tires and wheels ! You might have to move some tires and wheels around on a lm/fm to keep 1 sise on the drive axle and drop the front shaft and put the com. wheels on the steer cause of different height/ratio but it beets being stranded !

Ronmar

So @simp5782 just told me that plain old BUDD wheels will bolt up to our hubs so good thing to know if you get stuck out and cant get 395/20s you can use commercial truck tires and wheels ! You might have to move some tires and wheels around on a lm/fm to keep 1 sise on the drive axle and drop the front shaft and put the com. wheels on the steer cause of different height/ratio but it beets being stranded !
LMTV = full time AWD, so all tires the same diameter is the best way to go…

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what i was talking about putting the BUDD wheel on the steer and dropping the front shaft and keeping the 395s on the pull axle cause theres no 46 inch semi tires the closest you get is 11/24.5 being 43 in tall so even on a 1083 use the 395 steer tires to keep all 4 rear tires on the 395s !
And again this is a worse case senario but if you got caught out away from any 395 replacements you have a way to (adapt and overcome) Just something to keep in the back of your mind and not being stranded ! How many times have folks on here got out and blew tires and have to get on here hunting help !

Ronmar

You would have to lock the center diff in mode, otherwise all the torque woukd escape out the front transfer yoke. This would also limit you to 5th gear... but doable...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would have to lock the center diff in mode, otherwise all the torque woukd escape out the front transfer yoke. This would also limit you to 5th gear... but doable...
Good to know ! I thought in reg drive mode in the 6x6s it was 70/30 being 70 rear 30 front and i could just drop the front drive shaft and stay 70 rear nothing front !

Ronmar

Drivetrain 101 for a 4 wheeled vehicle:
2WD = 1 driven wheel out of 2, with a 50/50 torque split left-right In that driven axle. Either wheel slipping will allow all the torque to escape there.
AWD = 1 driven wheel out of 4. Torque is biased fore-aft 30/70, and 50/50 left to right in each axle, but If any one wheel of the 4 can slip/spin, 100% of the torque will escape thru that one spinning wheel. put one wheel on a jackstand and select drive and it will happily spin away. The 70/30 torque split is pretty standard on AWD vehicles so it will tend to spin a rear wheel first for easier/safer vehicle control. If you put a front wheel up on a jack stand, and rev the engine(deliver more torque), the 70/30 split may put enough torque to the rear axle to push the truck off the front jackstand, but that front wheel is going to really spin:)
4WD = 2 driven wheels out of 4. 50/50 torque split in the transfer, 50/50 split in each axle, so one wheel on each axle needs to spin to let the torque escape/not move the vehicle. Add a rear locker, 3 driven wheels out of 4.

in a 6X truck, the power divider is basically another center differential between the 2nd and 3rd axle. So any torque sent to the rear two axles is divided amongst the 4 rear wheels like a 4X truck, which = 1 driven wheel out of the 6 total on the truck. Pretty common to stop moving if terrain lifts either front or rear axle high enough to spin a wheel. In mode the power divider locks like the center diff in the transfer, and you get 3 driven wheels out of 6, split 50/50 left to right… one wheel on each axle must spin to stop the truck…

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im still going to be the dumbest kid in the class and say this ( If i have no front drive shaft in my 6x6 im still going to drive my truck home ) And if im wrong (happens every day ) someone post me a video of fmtv 1083 1084 1093 1088 ect minus front driveshaft that wont take off and drive down the road ! If i wernt so lazy today i would go drop my drive shaft and take her for a spin but i know theres guys in here that deal in and repair fm trucks that have done what im talking about like @simp5782 or @fuzzytoaster can anwser this question !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks