• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what cordless tool are you using to get your lug nuts off

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the one inch "Earthquake" from Harbor Fright. I bought it when I was taking the body off a firetruck I bought. It is a stud duck at ripping big stuck nuts and bolts loose. It will even do lug nuts that have been on a while. The down side is the battery charger and spare battery are sold separately. If you are a mechanic and use your tools every day go for the high dollar name brand stuff. If you only need the heavy artillery occasionally try the Harbor Freight stuff. I have the Earthquake cordless impact, a 12 inch Compound Miter saw, a set of one inch sockets, ratchet and pull bar and they serve me well on occasion.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 1400 ft/lb Milwaukee has been flawless on my big trucks. I did 3 tires on and off (so 30 lugs off and on) with 1/2 of a 5.0 battery. All were checked with a 600 ft/lb torque wrench and were well over the required 475. I would not hesitate to recommend these whole heartedly.

rustystud

Just read this entire thread.....

Thinking of the 1/2” Milwaukee high torque one. I already own several makita tools. Hate to switch brands at this point, but not that big a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new Milwaukee High Torque is far superior to any tool out there. I own two of them and really like having the ability to bust free really stuck bolts up to 3/4" ! It can take off some of my Deuce lug nuts too. Really don't like using it for that since it really is not designed for that kind of punishment on a daily basis.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have given away or sold all of my air, corded and cordless tools after geyting the Milwaukee high torque 1/2" cordless impact. Nothing I had came anywhere close to matching the power. I had Mac, Matco, Blue Point and Snap on air impacts as well as Matco, Snap on, Rigid and Dewalt cordless impacts. None of them compared to these new Milwaukees.

Last edited:

ramdough

You guys convinced me..... just ordered a 3/4 High torque 2864-20 For my Christmas gift to myself. It had the most bang for the buck. my birthday is coming up, so I plan on getting the batteries and charger then.

any recommendations for source for batteries and charger? Best value while getting full performance.

Dayron84

X2 for Milwaukee impact gun. Ordered mine on amazon for less that the depot. Not as powerful as my air gun but darn good for battery operated gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys convinced me..... just ordered a 3/4 High torque 2864-20 For my Christmas gift to myself. It had the most bang for the buck. my birthday is coming up, so I plan on getting the batteries and charger then.

any recommendations for source for batteries and charger? Best value while getting full performance.
I think you will find the 3/4 it is one heck of a tool. I payed a little more and got the case with charger and two batteries. I also ordered the 12.0 battery for longer life.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as I said my 3/4 M18 so far has had not problem with the wheels that I have tried it on. Then the ones so far are on the 915 and I just changed out the wheels with newer tires and they were put on with my torque wrench. Also I do have my truck four way and cheater bar if I did have a nut on something else the was a little nuts.
I had a dream a week ago and the voices spoke to me and one said build it they will come and the other voice said you need to build a bridge over the river KWAI. So I bought the M18 one inch drive. Well I think I might send it back after I build the KWAI bridge. I think it will be cheaper to send it back than to have to pay for a Gym member ship for years. Yep this thing is not light and with the 12.0 battery you know you are holding something.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Well as I said my 3/4 M18 so far has had not problem with the wheels that I have tried it on. Then the ones so far are on the 915 and I just changed out the wheels with newer tires and they were put on with my torque wrench. Also I do have my truck four way and cheater bar if I did have a nut on something else the was a little nuts.
I had a dream a week ago and the voices spoke to me and one said build it they will come and the other voice said you need to build a bridge over the river KWAI. So I bought the M18 one inch drive. Well I think I might send it back after I build the KWAI bridge. I think it will be cheaper to send it back than to have to pay for a Gym member ship for years. Yep this thing is not light and with the 12.0 battery you know you are holding something.
Far lighter then my Ingersol Rand 1" impact. That thing weighs in at 30 Ibs.
I had some Lug nuts on my old REO M35 that just would not come off with my 3/4" impact. They had been on the truck for decades before I got the truck. So I had to bust them down with the Ingersol Rand. I think I gave myself a Hernia !

HDN

I need to pull leaking front struts off my minivan this week so I'm considering buying an electric impact wrench (finally). I'm looking again at the Milwaukee 2767. Considering how powerful that tool is, is it possible to turn it down so that it totally doesn't destroy the rusted nuts and bolts I anticipate using it on? Or should I just get a cheaper, less powerful tool like the Ryobi P261? (I'm looking at that specifically because I already have another One+ battery tool from Ryobi).

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started using the cordless Milwaukee 2767 impact/2646 grease gun /Batteries/Charger combo from Amazon... That 1/2" impact zips torqued lugs off right. dang. now., cant imagine I'd ever need/utilize anything bigger. And... MAAANNNNN is it nice to not have to wrestle to pump a slimy short-hosed grease gun dangling in mid-air, while doing a half sit-up, trying to get to the higher zerks under the truck! WOO-HOO!!!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick survey. What cordless impacts do you find are powerfull enough to remove lug nuts, brand ,size, battery voltage ?
I personally haven’t found a cordless that could touch a deuce lug nut. I have an 18 volt drill but it won’t touch the really grumpy nut torques. I use a one inch arbor pneumatic impact tool. It has broken loose almost everything I’ve put it on. I say almost because one time the metal surrounding the nut gave way. It was a real mess fixing after that...

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I so old I used elbow grease and 9 feet of pipe on the lugnuts. I not gathereing tools anymore. Selling everything
I'm following your lead, frank8003, and packing up to "leave".

Not TOO soon, I hope! But the exit is inevitable. No one gets out alive...

I'm actually excited about it:

- Reducing my "kit" to just the essentials.

It feels Good!

FloridaAKM

I had to change out a front tire that was wearing badly on the outside tread & James came along with his 1" Milwaukee impact wrench & made it look so easy to do. The last two lug nuts were broken loose with his 3/4" drive Milwaukee impact wrench just to see if it would & it was just as good as the 1" impact. The military put these tires on years ago & then painted everything tan before DERMOing it in 2014.

Now I have a 3/4" Milwaukee impact wrench of my own from Home Depot on one of their sale days.

At my age, I am not ready to packup to leave, so I am going to keep on plodding thru everything. Hopefully, I don't checkout while working on one of the trucks...........

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will find the 3/4 it is one heck of a tool. I payed a little more and got the case with charger and two batteries. I also ordered the 12.0 battery for longer life.
Hi I am curious which sockets you purchased to go with the 3/4" Milwaukee
They make a 1/2" drive set but not 3/4"

maybe something like this ?

or one of these ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snap-on has a good price tag so I got a set from HF. I all ready had the wheel nut socket in one inch drive that does both nut and thimble nut with it's square drive. I just use my 1" to 3/4'' adapter if I switch between the two drive tools. I think HF sells the correct wheel nuts socket that does both nut and thimble nut.

Ok went out to the tool box trailer. The Snap-on set you posted does not have the special socket that does both hex wheel nut and square head thimble nut. I can't remember but I think HF sells the socket kit that has the bud nut socket. I do not know if the picture will show the square head down inside of it but it is there. I have not used all of the sockets in this set as I have other sets in the tool box. If you do not think you will use that big set maybe all you need is the wheel bud socket just for doing the wheels. If you are singled out then it does not matter as the truck does not run the thimble nut used in dual tire set ups.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks