• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I buy?

nortonscustom

A friend of mine told me about a guy who had some truck (m37) parts he was wanting to sell. Bought everything he had in one lot. Among the parts were these rubber tube things which I'm not sure about and this gun mount. He said the gun mount is for the M37 but I do not believe that is correct. Any ideas what this mount went to or the tubes are? Thanks.

Attachments

zout

A good site I check for reference on the gun mount parts and gun items is the Browning Machine Gun site. I believe that is for the 1919a - pedestal and feed tray. On my way to work or I would look it up for you.

txdodge43man

The gun cradle is for a 1919 30 The pedestal the cradle is sitting in is WWII it is ether for a jeep or half track not sure which one. There was a special mount developed for the WC51 and I have heard accounts that this is the mount that was used on the M37 if they could find them. any other mount was a Field add on.

Baron3-6

The pedestal is a US GI or identical for a half track, its an M25. I believe the cradle is actually an Israeli made one that fits the M2 .50 or M1919 .30. Notice how wide the ammo can holder is? and also the extra piece that can be raised to lock the longer .50 into place by the T&E mount point. It doesn't look like the US issue .30/.50 combo mount. The M25 could've made its way on to M37's...there was a lot of WWII stuff sitting around. Don't forget that the last of the half tracks were going to firing ranges and DRMO in the early 1950's when the 37's came out, motor pool scavenging would've been common. Also, have attached a picture of a Vietnam "field mod" of an M-37 with a similar mount they added some support to. I think it came from the 70th Engineers webpage. Excellent find!

Attachments

Last edited:

nortonscustom

Baron3-6, I believe you are spot one. The pedestal is definitely a halftrack M25. And the mount does hold both 30 cal and 50. Pretty clever setup. The previous owner said his truck had come from Israel so the mount being Israeli made makes sense. May have been something the IDF put together.

A box of NOS rubber goods, two headlight buckets and the gun mount for $150. Think I made out pretty good.

Thanks

Baron3-6

Well that solves it! Now all you need is a sweet semi auto 1919 to finish it off!
I have one request: I'm considering making a field mod mount for my 37 using one of the sockets that are availible and a .50 cradle I picked up...... What is the height of the M25 from base to top? Thanks!

nortonscustom

Well that solves it! Now all you need is a sweet semi auto 1919 to finish it off!
I have one request: I'm considering making a field mod mount for my 37 using one of the sockets that are availible and a .50 cradle I picked up...... What is the height of the M25 from base to top? Thanks!
Baron, do you mean like this one?:grin:

As for the M25, it is 33.5" from base to where the shoulder of the socket sits in the tube.
The base is 8.0" in dia and 0.375" thick.
The gussets are 23.75" tall and 0.1875" thick.

Norton.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks