• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I get myself into?

scranch18121

Hey

The 2 guys I was talking to happened to be a DPS officer and a DPS Instructor here in Austin. They said for me to haul it back with my truck and trailer that my Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for my truck (10,300) and my gooseneck trailer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (34,000) pushes me over 26,001. They use actual weight or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (what ever is higher) to determine if you are over weight (which ever is higher) I explained what I wanted to do (F350 and gooseneck back a 13,500 lb load) They said if I got pulled over and was over 26k of GCVW or 26K actual without a CDL I would be ticketed, and the rig would be tagged out of service.

I did ask if the M35a2 truck was considered "personal property" and was told that was a stretch and all troopers would issue a ticket.

Now if I had decided to drive it home I would have been legal without a CDL as the GVWR is below 26K. However, they also told me that the "Green Sheet" they use to determine GVWR for vehicles would have a m35a2's GVWR at 48k. I said that the plate on the truck states the GVWR below 26k and they said it would probably be ticketed anyway unless it was being used as a prior military vehicle in a parade"

I went ahead and got a CDL to be safe vs shut down on the side of the road clutching a handfull of tickets.

Oilleaker1

Congrats, shipping 600 miles, probably at least 700.00, I hope they didn't cut your wiring harness when they removed the light switch, been there, Great price, In the end, you're going to like it!!!

stampy

Welcome to the addiction...next a blazer or CUCV/M1009 as it is called. Then a genset then a m101 trailer for the deuce...then a MKT after all ya have to eat... Lots of heavy green here but not a lot in the wallet after...:p

lonegunman

I won an A3 in January and drove it cross country last week, trust me it ain't for the faint of heart or in a deuce in a questionable state of repair. I had a low hours truck and had the Cat dealer go through it. It got a clean bill of health and off I went after a couple of long test drives.

I'd give Uship a whirl for shipping. I tried four guys off of here with no luck. One was a flake "broker" who disappeared when we agreed on a price and I said to go ahead. One is an owner operator who could not return a call or email, another similar and the fourth I honestly figured could do the job, but he was double my budget.

I'd have a CDL and an air brake endorsement anyway, but they are worth having. Even if you do not need one, I'd read up anyway.

While spending five days of long hours driving slowly cross country was not ideal, I still like my truck. I fired it up today and took a buddy for a spin around the block, I still like it, a lot.

dw9339

After only 2 3/4 months, the truck was delivered today. There was a GL sticker with something to do with antifreeze on the dash, and it does not look like the winch instructions were taped over. I need to do a test of the winch to see if it works.

The troop seats in the back are serviceable, but need paint.

I did replace the three way switch -- thanks again for that heads up, I was able to order one so it was here when the truck arrived.

The truck had a log book, but nothing was in the book other than an operators manual. I wish it had more information, but oh well. I also found a speedometer on the floor of the cab -- only 18,000 miles!

The truck starts just fine, but has absolutely no brakes. The pedal goes right to the floor. I'll work on that this week and hopefully get it fixed in time to run around some this weekend. The guy who delivered the truck did a great job getting it off the trailer without the main brakes.

Since the wheels don't look like there is a leak, I'm thinking GL drained the fluid. Do I need to check anything other than the oil and coolant?

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The West Texas Detachment of the SteelSoldiers welcomes the new guy from Austin AND HIS NEW TRUCK aboard:grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear and READ - READ - READ the archived forums - Search for topics of interest or necessity and LEARN much, young warrior.

Most of all . . . HAVE FUN and BE SAFE :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks