• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I melt.......and where to find it? Or....

Hoping the wisdom here might be able to help.

Have a M1009 and it ran great. Both Gen lights worked properly. Bought the parts for the Dogleg mod and through them in the glove box. Then before I put it in my starter did its thing and fried. I replaced that and everything seemed good. Then the Gen 2 light started blinking occasionally and the Volt gauge started reading maxed out. The volt gauge stays above the green but fluctuates.

So it was just the Gen 2 light doing a disco and high reading and fluctuating Volt gauge.

Then The Gen 1 light started blinking too......

I continued to drive the truck and it started and ran fine. Then one day driving back from Wichita
I turned the heater fan on and suddenly the Gen 1 light came on and the fan stopped. Now the Gen 1 light doesn't come on before start-up.

I dropped the truck off at the local shop. Two of the mechanics used to work on post at Riley as mechanics. They said they checked the Gen 1 alternator and it was putting out nothing. So they rebuilt it. Now they say they are getting 24 volts doing a reading at the Gen 2 alternator.

They are scratching their heads. I printed off a bunch of the info tacked here and brought them the manuals but thought I would ask for wisdom here.

Thanks.......

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When your starter fried, did you replace any fusable links?

The heater fuse and the GEN1 exciter circuit work off the same fuse. If the fuse blows both will stop working.

You will get 24v at GEN2, just depends on where you take the reading. Unless they really know what they are doing, they need to be checking the voltage at the batteries.

~12.4v truck off. ~14.4v truck running - this is neg terminal to pos terminal

If they use the body as the ground
front batt - ~12.4v truck off. ~14.4v truck running
back batt - ~24.8v truck off. ~28.9v truck running

Thanks for taking the time to help.
Greatly appreciated.
Answers below

When your starter fried, did you replace any fusable links?

No, did not see any fusible links which looked bad.

The heater fuse and the GEN1 exciter circuit work off the same fuse. If the fuse blows both will stop working.

Thanks, did not know this. Will check fuses tomorrow.

You will get 24v at GEN2, just depends on where you take the reading. Unless they really know what they are doing, they need to be checking the voltage at the batteries.

~12.4v truck off. ~14.4v truck running - this is neg terminal to pos terminal

If they use the body as the ground
front batt - ~12.4v truck off. ~14.4v truck running
back batt - ~24.8v truck off. ~28.9v truck running
Thanks, I passed along the info to them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks