• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I see? Memphis, TN area

realm

Sorry I don't have a pic, but it was parked at a gas station this morning.
It looked fairly new, or at least a new camo paintjob and in excellent shape.

It "looked" like a Unimog, only the front didn't look like a Mercedes Unimog front. Although it was painted and I just got a glance.

4 wheels
Stance like a mog
Front cab like a mog
Back was an enclosed camo box, but probably still cargo. Didn't see it from the back so not sure what kind of doors.

It could have been a Unimog, but is there anything our military uses that's similar?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only Unimog-looking thing we use is a SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator) - but it has front loader and backhoe attachments, looks a lot different that what you described.

It could be a Unimog radio truck, there are a lot of them floating around owned by civvys, perhaps it was owned by a collector who painted it like our military paints their stuff.

realm

Bingo! LMTV... that's what I saw!

Do they auction those off to the public just out of curiosity?

EDIT:
Nevermind... I just read another thread which said they wouldn't see decommissioning anytime soon. Guess the gas station one was in service.

Last edited:

txdodge43man

Its a FMTV designed by Stewart and Stevenson and built in Sealy, Texas. I took a tour of the plant and got to ride in one on the test track a few years back it was great. 4X4 is 2 1/2 ton and 6X6 is the 5ton