• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your M939 today?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed 4 new 6TL batteries today. 2 of the 4 batteries would not pass a load test.
Cleaned the connections and now she starts with ease.

m715mike

Santa came early for the M936A2.
A0449E14-8527-4D30-B4F7-AE848CBE530D.jpeg

After taking my order and filling out the ticket, the guy at NAPA said, “I have to ask. What kind of vehicle is this going on? We have never sold that battery and that belt from this location.” (It was an older location in Houston.) I got a chuckle out of that.

This morning, NAPA had 14 of the 6TL batteries (Part # BAT 7256) in Houston. If I were a betting man, I’d wager that they have 12 this evening.

m715mike

I finally got some quality time in with the M936A2 this weekend. I finished installing the alternator that I got from @74M35A2, replaced the serpentine belt with NAPA Part #25-080680 and installed two new 6TL batteries (NAPA Part #BAT 7265).

Out with the old and in with the new>>>>
Belt_NAPA Part No 25-080680.jpg
Alternator from SS Member 74M35A2.jpg

Connecting the battery cables was harder than it should have been for two reasons. First, two of the cables were just barely long enough to fit in the new two battery configuration. Second, the NAPA 6TL batteries have six caps sticking up from the top of the batteries as opposed to the Hawkers that are flush on top. The caps sticking up on the NAPA batteries added a little complexity.

Two Batteries_6TL NAPA Part No BAT 7256.jpg6TL NAPA Part No BAT 7256.jpg6TL NAPA vs Hawker_.jpg

Lastly, I spent a little time with the shop vac cleaning out pine needles and other junk that came with the truck. In doing so, I found evidence (green rocks) that my truck was re-painted by the military before it was surplused >>>

M936A2 Painted Rocks on Right Step_1-24-2021.jpg

After vacuuming the floor of the cab, I took this picture >>>
M936A2 Interior_1-24-2021.jpg

WildernessJeep

@WildernessJeep is that thing squared from the weight or does it always ride in the rear?
It squatted a little when I pulled that telehandler up with the crane (too lazy to use the winch), but I think it's level. Look at the bed rails compared to the truck behind it, as well as the window frame to the building. The truck is almost perfectly level. I do agree, it looks "off", but the bent front fender may be causing it, not an actual squat.

charlesmann

It squatted a little when I pulled that telehandler up with the crane (too lazy to use the winch), but I think it's level. Look at the bed rails compared to the truck behind it, as well as the window frame to the building. The truck is almost perfectly level. I do agree, it looks "off", but the bent front fender may be causing it, not an actual squat.
gotcha. it could very well be an optical illusion too. The older we get the worse our eyes play tricks on us. Iv been contemplating getting a trailer like that to haul logs and other such things.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
gotcha. it could very well be an optical illusion too. The older we get the worse our eyes play tricks on us. Iv been contemplating getting a trailer like that to haul logs and other such things.
Interesting. I was thinking the same, but a second look does make it look more level. Guess the real answer was if it had "two finger steering" or not. :cool:

---

I had been looking for a heavy trailer. Just shopping to see what was available... GovPlanet had a MTO20 that looked to be in really good shape. 10 Ton capacity, 31,000 GVRW and 97 length. Sold on 2/3/2021 for $6700. That was up a bit from the $500 opening bid...

Wasn't me that bought it. Just sharing information.

MTO20 Holden 2006 @ 2-3-2021.jpg

WildernessJeep

Interesting. I was thinking the same, but a second look does make it look more level. Guess the real answer was if it had "two finger steering" or not. :cool:

---

I had been looking for a heavy trailer. Just shopping to see what was available... GovPlanet had a MTO20 that looked to be in really good shape. 10 Ton capacity, 31,000 GVRW and 97 length. Sold on 2/3/2021 for $6700. That was up a bit from the $500 opening bid...

View attachment 825525

No "two finger steering". It actually drives really nice loaded. The trailer has air brakes, so that helps a lot.

As for your purchase of a trailer, I'd get a 15 ton, not a 5-ton capacity. Mine is a 10-ton capacity, and I knock on that door more than I'd like to admit (e.g. the Genie 1056 as pictured above). I can't carry my Caterpillar DK5 at all with it. Also, get a flat deck, not like the one picture above with drive-over fenders. Sometimes, you'll want to load a shipping container and the fenders will tilt it up. Lastly, this may sound silly, but get smaller tires. They allow a lower deck so you can carry higher loads.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

---

View attachment 825525
You don't want an MT020. They use MRAP lug pattern and have a spring over walking beam suspension. It's rated for less than the Globe and Load King Versions

The globe and load king are capable of 20 tons with dual 255 75 22.5 tires

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's squatting a little. They all do with a tag.

That is a 923 with wrecker rear spring setup on it. That is around 16,000lbs of tongue weight.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You don't want an MT020. They use MRAP lug pattern and have a spring over walking beam suspension. It's rated for less than the Globe and Load King Versions

The globe and load king are capable of 20 tons with dual 255 75 22.5 tires
Thanks for the info Wes! It was just a good looking trailer.
I definitely don't need another wheel pattern for sure.
And with less ability to drag weight too...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No "two finger steering". It actually drives really nice loaded. The trailer has air brakes, so that helps a lot.

As for your purchase of a trailer, I'd get a 15 ton, not a 5-ton capacity. Mine is a 10-ton capacity, and I knock on that door more than I'd like to admit (e.g. the Genie 1056 as pictured above). I can't carry my DK5 at all with it. Also, get a flat deck, not like the one picture above with drive-over fenders. Sometimes, you'll want to load a shipping container and the fenders will tilt it up. Lastly, this may sound silly, but get smaller tires. They allow a lower deck, so you can carry higher loads.

Thanks WildernessJeep ,

I wasn't hard core shopping but your "no fenders & flat desk" suggestions definitely make a lot of sense. That MT020 definitely looked "tall" to me. Not having a run-in with the weight enforcement guys are definitely NOT where I want to be!

Between your suggestions and simp5782 at least now I save something to look at and be smarter.

Air brakes are a definite plus too!

Thanks Again!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Thanks WildernessJeep ,

I wasn't hard core shopping but your "no fenders & flat desk" suggestions definitely make a lot of sense. That MT020 definitely looked "tall" to me. Not having a run-in with the weight enforcement guys are definitely NOT where I want to be!

Between your suggestions and simp5782 at least now I save something to look at and be smarter.

Air brakes are a definite plus too!

Thanks Again!

The m322s are pretty versatile. However none of them can carry 10 tons of loose cargo with appropriate tongue and axle weights according to the test and field reports done at Aberdeen.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Light(er) load today (17,040 pounds). But the hydraulics are dead, so I had to lift the boom with the 936 to get it on the trailer. And she thought she was just going to sit in a field and retire!!

View attachment 826583
Ahhhh... So nice to have a "Historic MV" still plugging along :cool:

That load looks nicely loaded on that trailer too.
It seems to be just right with enough tongue weight and plenty on the tandems on the trailer...

WildernessJeep

Ahhhh... So nice to have a "Historic MV" still plugging along :cool:

That load looks nicely loaded on that trailer too.
It seems to be just right with enough tongue weight and plenty on the tandems on the trailer...

I wish I could take credit for that load. I just lifted the boom and ran the 936. My guys did all the chains.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks