• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are y’all talking about an M105 ?
I have no issues dragging an m105 down the road with a 3/4 ton truck.
The issue isn’t being able to tow it down the road or getting off the freeway nice and easy.
The problem is a big, heavy trailer with no brakes, unless you have a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck.

It’s over a ton just sitting there empty.
Add any load all the way up to gross.
Sure, tows fine.
3/4 or 1 ton truck can usually stop it, just takes a little more distance to do it.
Now someone pulls/stops right in front of you and you have to do a panic stop.
Loaded or not and no brakes, the M105A2 will push you right past where you wanted and needed to stop and BHAM!!

Doesn’t matter how good the pickups brakes are. Their not designed for that type of duty.
Hope you have deep pockets because the lawyers are going to have a field day.
(Trailer designed for much larger/heavier truck and with air brakes)

That’s fine if you think it can’t happen.
It will. To someone.
Not a matter of if, just a matter of when

tobyS

That is why I need to sell it or trade it for an m101
Or put a proper surge brake on it and connect to the hydraulic brakes.

That is a nice trailer and apparently you have bolster wheels and hummer tires to make it lower. Personally with the mods you have done + perhaps remove a few springs and put on shocks/ and brakes, I would keep it not make such trade.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Another thing to remember is that while bolster wheels can be used to lower the trailer down they'll stick out at least a few inches on each side, so you'll probably want to add some fenders depending on your local laws. They are just right on the m103a3 welding trailers, as well as the m105a3s which already have extended fenders. For the money to convert a trailer I'd sell off the m105 and get one of the smaller models.

tobyS

His pictures of the back of the trailer show that the wheel wells line up perfectly on the 105 he has...but note I made the assumption they were bolster wheels, since I saw what I thought were HMMWV tires. I'm getting a couple to go with my M105 frame/axle that I'll put the geithner shelter onto and his photo caused me to realize they would fit with HMMWV 16.5's which I have a couple of, and not need the STA 12.5x16.5 which I would have to purchase.

C54, if you want to sell or make some trades, let me know.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I see two trailers involved. There is an m101a3 on HMMWV tires posted above, and computer posted a picture of his stock m105 on deuce wheels and tires. Bolster trailer wheels are much different in offset than the dually wheels from an m35. The offset is the same as the tubeless wheels found on m105a3s with fender extensions as well as the welding trailers which are a bunch wider than a normal m103a3 generator trailer or m105a2.

tobyS

I see two trailers involved. There is an m101a3 on HMMWV tires posted above, and computer posted a picture of his stock m105 on deuce wheels and tires. Bolster trailer wheels are much different in offset than the dually wheels from an m35. The offset is the same as the tubeless wheels found on m105a3s with fender extensions as well as the welding trailers which are a bunch wider than a normal m103a3 generator trailer or m105a2.
That may be the problem. I thought the above pics are the 105.
I have the bolster wheels on my M1061. In prior calculations, while dualing the 105 axle up (picture), it's width is 1.5" wider than the legal limit. The bolster wheels and tires fell within the 8'6 limit. I don't know about the fender width, since the above is an M101.

Since the above is a 101A3, it's clear why the HMMWV tires (and wheels) now....they are not HMMWV tires on bolster rims. Anyway....when I get bolster wheels, I'm going to try and mount the 37's HMMWV tires....so got something useful from my mistake.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a nice trailer. Fiberglass panels and metal bows is a plus.
With that truck, a M101A2/3 will be a much better trailer for you.
Especially with the weight.
Will look correct too as the M105A2 is big for that truck.

I don’t think you will any problems in selling it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks