• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pretty sure he can't. This ons happened to be sitting in a rotting cardboard box next to the trailer it was supposed to be installed on in the motor pool for a couple of years.

Yup, I'm in Washington, down near Oly.
are you on the PNW SS facebook group?
Facebook? No, I'll have nothing to do with facebook.

I'm out in Kitsap. near the navy bases.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Facebook? No, I'll have nothing to do with facebook.

I'm out in Kitsap. near the navy bases.
We do a yearly camping event in July for the local group. Usually have 8-12 vehicles show up. We also do a new year's beach run out at ocean shores. Add to these a maintenance day to hang out and do a little work on our vehicles sometime in the spring, and the occasional drive as a group, and other events.
I understand the feeling about facecrook, and primarily use it just for a few contacts.

If you're interested I can try to remember to message you with any events we're doing, and I'll try to post them in the events forum here as well.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just down in Oly last Wednesday to pick up a paint sprayer I won off ironplanet. I had an appointment in Taco so I drove around thru Shelton from Kitsap. I walked into the rental place that had auctioned off the stuff to pick it up and they look confused, shuffled their papers, and tell me someone already picked it up. They even show me the paperwork with a signature next to my name. :mad:

So we go a few rounds and the manager finally figures out what happened. Seems one guy won several items and picked them all up, and they accidently gave him my paint sprayer instead of the one he won. They had his phone number and called him, but no speaka-the-english. So the manager texts him which lets him use goog-translate, and he agrees to bring it back. Only problem is I’m about an hour from home.

So they agree to ship it to the rental branch in my town at no charge. I leave with nothing but the guy’s word. I don’t hear back on Thurs, and Friday I call them. They’re getting the sprayer back on Saturday. Saturday they call me finally, say they got it and will fedex it one-day to my local store. Two hours later I get a call from the local store that they have it and I can come pick it up (they must have driven it up instead). So it’s in the garage now. It should be a working unit- it has their ‘Ready to Rent’ tag on it. I’ll probably get a look at it this weekend while I’m in the garage running the ghostgunner (supposed to stick closed while it’s milling just in case).

cucvrus

I repaired the severed wiring harness,DSCF8271.JPG DSCF8275.JPG removed the military trailer plug and put a 7 round in place. I eliminated all the wiring that I don't need and maintained the 4 wires only. DSCF8277.JPG I found I need 1 new LED amber and base. DSCF8276.JPGI ordered a new lamp and base online. Earlier in the week I located 2 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 wheels and today I found another one. for use as a spare tire. DSCF8278.JPG Now I need to bleed the brakes as I removed the master cylinder to clean and repair the broken cap. I have a brand-new cap now. The glued cap would work but it lacks the rubber seal inside. Not worth the effort or risk to just reuse the old cap. Any tips on bleeding these brakes. Or I will just dive in tomorrow and learn. Take Care. Be Safe.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I repaired the severed wiring harness,View attachment 856710 View attachment 856713 removed the military trailer plug and put a 7 round in place. I eliminated all the wiring that I don't need and maintained the 4 wires only. View attachment 856715 I found I need 1 new LED amber and base. View attachment 856714I ordered a new lamp and base online. Earlier in the week I located 2 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 wheels and today I found another one. for use as a spare tire. View attachment 856716 Now I need to bleed the brakes as I removed the master cylinder to clean and repair the broken cap. I have a brand-new cap now. The glued cap would work but it lacks the rubber seal inside. Not worth the effort or risk to just reuse the old cap. Any tips on bleeding these brakes. Or I will just dive in tomorrow and learn. Take Care. Be Safe.
Lookin Good @cucvrus !

Pretty nice pile of firewood too.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a initial test pull around ranch with the Ford.
This is the setup I’ll be using.
It did fine, but can’t turn too sharp or it will grab a tire.
Debating on fenders or at least tree guards so I don’t rip off a wheel. It’s obviously wider than the tractor.

Already restored the Jack, top gear cover was missing and full of dirt.
Original Jack long gone and last unit installed a Fulton aftermarket Jack.

Removed the grounding cable reels and moved Jack to the opposite side.
Replaced wheel bearings and seals.

It will have a wood floor in the back with angle iron sides and the tool box will stay, just will face it forward.

The tall gauge tower might be turned into a vertical rack for shovels, etc.
Maybe make it a cabinet? Still debating.
Lots of cutting and welding to do.
I think it will make a nice general use trailer.

Will paint trailer ford blue with white wheels per wife’s request.

Attachments

cucvrus

May be an image of outdoors

I bought this M1102 2 weeks ago. I changed the brake fluid and removed the pintle ring to grease and service the brake system. The breakaway lever was a bit rusty and the cable was frayed. I ordered a new breakaway lever and cable assembly from etrailer.com along with the spring clip. I currently have the tailgate off and am in the process of capping all the cage nuts with button head torx bolts to keep all the dirt and debris out of the holes. I bought another set of 2006 3/4 ton steel Silverado spoke wheels and they are at the sandblaster for blasting and repainting. I am painting them flat black and getting a new set of tires. I have no use for the HMMWV tires and wheels and will market them. I also rebuilt the original trailer jack and used parts from a bulldog jack I purchased on Facebook market. Perfect match and only $10. I only used the crank handle, pull pin, and the tin cover. I still have the gears and the entire extra donor jack for parts. I bought my trailer to haul rocks, blocks and bricks. Along with firewood and anything else that fits inside the cargo area. These trailers are well built and will last the rest of my life. Working out some titling issues at the moment. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Today it was cold and dry. The sun was out, and I could get some work done. I received my new breakaway lever and clip and wanted to get that installed. I had the pintle ring removed and greased the rollers and the pin. DSCF8367.JPG This what I started with today. DSCF8368.JPG This is how I finished with the breakaway. I have a few nut inserts in the floor and of course on the sides for the cover brackets. I cleaned all the holes out and installed button head torx bolts. 5/16" in the floor DSCF8369.JPG DSCF8372.JPGand 3/8" in the upper cover brackets. DSCF8370.JPG DSCF8373.JPG DSCF8374.JPG I used never seize on the bolts a few nut inserts were broken loose of course. I had to cut down the bolts for the inside wall. The nut inserts were in perfect alignment and would hit the upper flange bolts inside the rail if I left them full length. DSCF8371.JPG
They are stainless steel bolts. I have all the holes filled with the button head bolts. DSCF8376.JPG DSCF8375.JPG That was my goal for today. I will be installing the tailgate next and making a class 3 receiver or the rear. Why? because
I want one on the back. I am also giving some thought as to where the license plate bracket and light will be mounted. Take Care and Be Safe.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent trailer.

Never ran across a Ford Tractor quite like that (used to do some bush hogging on and old Ford, way back):

- That thing looks halfway between a farm tractor and a lawn tractor

Is there a story behind that model?
Ford 1210 (Made in Japan)
16hp 3 cylinder diesel
Cat 1 3-point lift in back.
Hydrostat trans
Mid mount and rear PTO
Extremely well built.

Small but very capable.
They still sell for decent money today when you can find them.
It’s bigger than my Cub Cadet garden tractor and obviously smaller than my Kubota and JD.
I bought a 60” finish mower for the 3 point and will use that this summer.
I really enjoy it and most parts are still available from New Holland.

I rescued this one out of a field, where it had been sitting for about 15 years.
The land was being sold and the current owner just wanted it gone.
Came with backhoe and 48” belly mower attachments. Both Ford products also.

Wife wants a tiller attachment, so will get that next week.

They were also sold in Europe and are still extremely popular there.
The list of attachments and implements is quite extensive. Especially overseas since land parcels are much smaller.

I’ve been extremely happy with it.

Just recovered a warehouse cart trailer from GovPlanet and am towing that around now.
Ford 1210 pulls it with ease.

Those cart trailers are built like tanks and are the perfect mobile work bench.
It has a 6k max weight rating.

Will install new wood and will also paint it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Built a small vise platform on the back of my warehouse cart trailer.
The trailer is a perfect mobile workbench.
I use it almost daily

I restored an old craftsman vise from my collection to keep on the platform.
I welded the nuts underneath so if I need to remove the vise I just remove the bolts only.

It’s way overkill on strength with 1/4” plate and strap steel and 1” angle steel, but it fits the trailer.
Trailers max weight is 6k.

My welding was horrible but it will work.
I also welded tie down hooks on the sides and both ends.
I had ran out of primer so I used flat black paint.

The cart trailer looks horrible now but I have all new tires and tubes.
Wheels are fine but need sandblasting.
Also have all new bearings/races/seals ready to go.
I sprayed the back JD green to see if I wanted trailer that color. I don’t.
I don’t want it black either
Not sure what color yet.

I’m having a hard time finding 1” rough cut oak trailer decking for the 4x9’ deck locally.
Having it shipped in is insanely expensive.
That’s why it’s still not painted and finished.
I would like to stay with rough cut because it’s difficult for things to slide around when trailers moving.
Regular lumber will work but is too smooth.
Going to a sawmill today to see if they can help.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I use it almost daily

I welded the nuts underneath so if I need to remove the vise I just remove the bolts only.

It’s way overkill on strength with 1/4” plate and strap steel and 1” angle steel, but it fits the trailer.

Not sure what color yet.

I’m having a hard time finding 1” rough cut oak trailer decking for the 4x9’ deck locally.
I would like to stay with rough cut because it’s difficult for things to slide around when trailers moving.
Neat! An old railroad cart...
Or at least the four that I have came from there.
From over on Tryon Street many many moons ago.
I never saw what they used to drag the carts around with on the rail platform.

Nice vice setup!
If you end up going to a saw mill, I have found over the years re-decking lowboy trailers that getting whatever you buy bolted down quickly is your key to happiness. If it sits around too long and gets too dry - raw boards will warp and twist - and sometimes that just can't be overcome.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use it almost daily

Not sure what color yet.

I have virtually the same trailer but with a steel deck. I love having it around. Mine is Gray. It looks nice in that color

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat! An old railroad cart...
Or at least the four that I have came from there.
From over on Tryon Street many many moons ago.
I never saw what they used to drag the carts around with on the rail platform.

Nice vice setup!
If you end up going to a saw mill, I have found over the years re-decking lowboy trailers that getting whatever you buy bolted down quickly is your key to happiness. If it sits around too long and gets too dry - raw boards will warp and twist - and sometimes that just can't be overcome.
The nice thing is-I have my own sawmill so timing is much easier to manage. @Tinstar I wish you were closer , those boards would just be drops for me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks