• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

HeyFool

Welcome to the Outfit!

Snap us a few pictures of your new-to-you trailer so the rest of us can oogle it. Pix will be a good way to see your progress. Time to do a little maintenance like wheel bearing grease and checking out the brakes too. TM's are in the trailer section for pictures of parts and part numbers.
I will snap some when I pick it up. Good points. I plan on servecing the bearings and breaks when I get home. I will check the trailer section for the TMs to double check. I plan on brining all the tools needed with me, including a grease gun, to service the trailer if it has issues getting home.
Take some duct tape and a set of harbour freight magnetic tail lights with you and a hitch to pull pintle hook trailers the trailer is made of aluminum and u will have to tape the light down to something and it has two parking brake levers handles that need to be folded up to release the brake !
I have a military to 7 pin adaptor that I will try to see if it works. I also bought some magnetic tail lights as a backup since I read there may be more to the wiring or if it doesn't work. Great idea on the duct tape. I have a bulletproof 6" rise/drop hitch with the pintle attachment coming early next week. Thanks for the mention of the parking brakes. I will make sure to check for that.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will snap some when I pick it up. Good points. I plan on servecing the bearings and breaks when I get home. I will check the trailer section for the TMs to double check. I plan on brining all the tools needed with me, including a grease gun, to service the trailer if it has issues getting home.

I have a military to 7 pin adaptor that I will try to see if it works. I also bought some magnetic tail lights as a backup since I read there may be more to the wiring or if it doesn't work. Great idea on the duct tape. I have a bulletproof 6" rise/drop hitch with the pintle attachment coming early next week. Thanks for the mention of the parking brakes. I will make sure to check for that.
The 1101s and 2s i had all had 24 volt bulbs so they were dimmer till i put 12 v bulbs in everything !

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for LED bulbs for my M116A3. What bulbs did you use and where did you buy them from?
For the brake light bulbs….

IMG_1660.jpeg

And the the rear running lights….

IMG_1659.jpeg

both cover a wide range of voltage and work great for my civilian truck too. I also replaced the bulbs in my M1151A1 and they seem to work great.

HeyFool

Changed out the bearing/racer sets and repacked for the M1101. Good as new and peace of mind with previous unknown condition.

View attachment 899246
Nice. I just got my trailer home yesterday and want to do this as well. I towed it 100 miles back to my house and had no issues, but agree it would be nice to take care of it now. What did you change them to? Anything special I need?

HeyFool

Picked up my trailer from GovPlanet in Yermo yesterday. Towed it home about 100 miles with no issues. I stopped a few times to touch the trailer hubs and also temped them with my laser them gun. They got up to 156 degrees at the hottest.

Ordered a nice pintle hitch that would have made the trailer level, but it got delayed in shipping so I had to rent one. Still towed fine. Once I got home I put my dirt bike in for the fun of it. It’s a great size. (Just need a humvee later, but I like the look of it with my truck too)IMG_2100.jpegIMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2103.jpeg

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. I just got my trailer home yesterday and want to do this as well. I towed it 100 miles back to my house and had no issues, but agree it would be nice to take care of it now. What did you change them to? Anything special I need?
Upon inspection, mine didn't look bad at all but I still decided to change them out.
Needed items?: Rubber gloves, Red n Tacky grease, hammer and large punch (or bearing puller), couple hours of your time.

Inner seal x 2
IMG_6643.jpg

Inner bearing and race set x 2
IMG_6641.jpg

Outer bearing and race set x 2
IMG_6642.jpg

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my trailer from GovPlanet in Yermo yesterday. Towed it home about 100 miles with no issues. I stopped a few times to touch the trailer hubs and also temped them with my laser them gun. They got up to 156 degrees at the hottest.

Ordered a nice pintle hitch that would have made the trailer level, but it got delayed in shipping so I had to rent one. Still towed fine. Once I got home I put my dirt bike in for the fun of it. It’s a great size. (Just need a humvee later, but I like the look of it with my truck too)View attachment 899475View attachment 899476
View attachment 899477
BTW.... When towing, the two rear trailer support / landing legs in your pics should be stowed horizontilly on the front of the trailer. There are racks for securing and even holes drilled for bungee retainers.

lfhoward

View attachment 898872

View attachment 898873

both cover a wide range of voltage and work great for my civilian truck too. I also replaced the bulbs in my M1151A1 and they seem to work great.
Thank you! Are these on eBay or someplace else?

Edit; I think I answered my own question because I see Amazon in your first pic.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the freight terminal to pick up my MEP802A auction inadvertent win. The trailer pulled great behind the hemi jeep. I admit to being a little nervous - it's not the heaviest load I've had in there, but the longest distance to travel with a heavy load. I was about 45 mins from home.TieDown.jpg

Loaded.jpg

EDIT to add: Yes, the M1101 needs a good pressure washing. Welcome to Washington!

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the freight terminal to pick up my MEP802A auction inadvertent win. The trailer pulled great behind the hemi jeep. I admit to being a little nervous - it's not the heaviest load I've had in there, but the longest distance to travel with a heavy load. I was about 45 mins from home.View attachment 901322

View attachment 901323

EDIT to add: Yes, the M1101 needs a good pressure washing. Welcome to Washington!
I thought it looked pretty clean myself. You really don't want to know what some of my stuff looks like around here.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 898872

View attachment 898873

Even better: TRUCK-LITE STOP TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY 10V-30V HUMMER TRUCK OR TRAILER 35 UNITS | eBay

The guy selling these is a flake though, so pay attention to your order. I made two individual orders about a week apart, neither one had the right, or even a valid, tracking number. The first order arrived despite the invalid tracking number. The second never arrived and the seller was indignant about it, like I was trying to rip him off. He sent me a second tracking number, that showed already delivered, but that was a tracking number for another SS member who had ordered. He finally agreed to replace, and once again sent an invalid tracking number, but it arrived nevertheless. Those are on my HMMWV, and I just ordered two more for the M1101, so we'll see how that goes....

If the seller put "HMMWV" or Humvee" in his ad he'd sell out in a day or two, because he's selling NIB for less than used ones where the seller specified HMMWV.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0640.jpegIMG_0713.jpeg

Moved this trailer to a better spot to run the two generators I store inside it.

It usually sits in heavy shade, but I let it sit out in the hot sun for two days to burn the creatures out.
Trailer frame and cover flaps had spiders all in it.
None inside cargo space at all.

All good now

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Finally" "finished" my M1101 (OK, it's only been 5 months... and I don't think I'm ever really finished with anything)

20230810_074304.jpg

Made a tongue extension out of 2x2x silly-heavy tube & a nice Buyers cast ball coupler. Swapped brakes to electric with parking brake (yep, definitely not done... planning to rig up a splitter to one handle, since I need cables anyway) and 6-lug drums, with Tacoma steelies & awful Duratracs. Just finished lowering it another 3.5" with 1.5x2.5 box tubing.

Bryan 45

I bought an adapter from Erik's military surplus, along with a bracket, and attached it to my M116 frame. LED lights were already on the trailer and they work great with my pick up truck. Pulled it 90 miles to the farm and 90 miles back loaded with a m274 Mule and the trailer performed great! Even got 16.9 mpg which is higher than I expected.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks