• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I have, plus converting to 120v. New guy here.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything good about these engines? Some research suggests these are just about worthless and not the greatest for recharging dead batteries.
I've got it's brother the 531 which is 120...I'd bet you could hook up a 24 volt to 120 volt inverter that would work fine. They run loud as heck and use just a little fuel and are easy to start especially if you have a vehicle with a jump cable. If not they have the pressure relief valve that makes pull starting pretty easy too.

22/45

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got it's brother the 531 which is 120...I'd bet you could hook up a 24 volt to 120 volt inverter that would work fine. They run loud as heck and use just a little fuel and are easy to start especially if you have a vehicle with a jump cable. If not they have the pressure relief valve that makes pull starting pretty easy too.
I honestly can’t think of a time I tried the starter, just such an easy engine to start by hand.

I think I read somewhere that to use an inverter you need to have some batteries hooked in series for 24v. Is that true, and if so, why? Also, in the interest of keeping the unit self contained on the cart could I just run lawnmower/motorcycle batteries to keep the size and weight of the unit down?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries are to act like a buffer for changes in power being used. Inverter on top of mechanical governed engine can't really respond fast enough to changes in the amount of load.
As long as the batteries are capable of handling the charge/discharge, then you'd probably be fine. Bigger is better, but lawnmower or motorcycle batteries would probably work fine for this. Only real limits are if you use them for starting the engine, or if you try using the inverter without the generator running.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I would do, run an inverter. Make the best out of what you have, for the least amount of additional $.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly can’t think of a time I tried the starter, just such an easy engine to start by hand.

I think I read somewhere that to use an inverter you need to have some batteries hooked in series for 24v. Is that true, and if so, why? Also, in the interest of keeping the unit self contained on the cart could I just run lawnmower/motorcycle batteries to keep the size and weight of the unit down?
The batteries they are referring to are only to start it and people wire it into the slave cable socket. Since they are not designed to charge external batteries through the slave cable and only operate the starter, batteries are not needed but for starting only. If you open the side box you can see where to wire in an inverter for 120 and mount it to the frame pretty easy. I'd get a bigger inverter than what's stated on the box too as most of these can create more power than rated for so might as well take full advantage of it all. These really are fun gensets I just wish they weren't so dang loud!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I hit the dewey site and screen shot the specs on this to help find a good inverter plus engine speed specs for load.

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png