• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I look for when buying a bobbed M35A2

Tomorrow I am going to look at a bobbed M35A2 and am hoping to get some pointers on what to look for when inspecting the truck. Are there wrong ways to bob a truck and what do I need to check? Here is what I know about the truck so far.

It's a 1971 AM General with 27,xxx miles with the Hercules engine. It's got a bed off a M105, air locker up front, 25K winch and currently titled. He is sending me pictures tonight but says it has no rust.

91W350

It is a personal preference, but I like the boxes mounted on the deuce frame with little gap between the fuel tank and the bottom of the box, some guys use a section of the 105 frame and raise the box. I also prefer the use of commercial rear leaves or deuce front leaves to the use of the 105 leaves.

rickf

I have never bobbed a deuce but I would assume there has to be some welding of some sort done for the rear suspension? Check the welds for quality, penetration and cracks. Cracks should show up as sharp rust lines.

MilSpec78

You may want to post the pics you get so people here can take a look at it. The pics might show something worth looking at. This is assuming this is not an auction or some other listing you are not permitted to post.

There are many ways to bob a deuce. Assuming it drives fine, I would look at craftsmenship. Does it look like quality work was done or does it look slapped together?

KsM715

Pics would help. (Pm me the ad link, dont worry im not looking to buy it. Just want to see the pics) I doubt it has a 25K winch on it. My 5ton had the 20K winch on it and the cable was bigger than 1/2 inch And I really doubt it has an air locker in the front end. He probably means it has an air operated transfer case rather than the sprag (sp?) transfer case.

*Edit* Is this the truck? In Onaga Ks? I built this truck.

100_1903.jpg 100_1900.jpg

Last edited:

KsM715

PM sent. Unfortunately, I do better typing than I do talking on the phone. (It was a good running truck when I owned it, I beleive its been only a year or less since I sold it.)

KsM715

The current owner of that truck got the rear axle from me but last I heard he had it up for sale a few months ago. Don't know if he still has it.

Dipstick

I own a 1984 AMGeneral that I had bobbed. It has cab heat, an LDT465 whistler turbo motor, and a shortened dropside box. I paid extra to have six Firestone T831 11R-20 tires, hydraulic power steering, and a fiberglass hardtop installed. My goal is to keep him looking as stock as a bobbed Deuce can.

The folks who bobbed my Deuce charged me what seemed like a fair price at the time, but their workmanship left much to be desired. The turn signals didn't work. There was an air leak at the rear emergency gladhand (the excess copper tubing was bent like a pretzel and kinked). The heater coil leaked. The paint job was laughable and some of the gauges didn't work. I've fixed all of those problems in my first four months of ownership.

I prefer a shortened Deuce bed as opposed to a trailer bed. The shortened Deuce bed completely covers the rear duals. It also gives you more useable cargo space than a trailer bed does. I've since added a spin on oil filter kit and Ouverson hubs on the front axle. Oh yeah, and Caliber1's locking door handles.

Deuces and bobbed Deuces are a matter of personal taste. I love my truck and he runs great, but if I had to do it over again I'd have spent $15,500 with BOYCE EQUIPMENT and gotten a truck that was right from the get go. My Avatar shows you what my truck looks like. If you like the look I can send you some pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks