• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I take when I pick up a Deuce

Deucenut

I purchased an M35A2 from GL and will be picking it up as soon as my EUC is approved. I will be driving it about 1000 mile to home. I plan on driving my pickup out and towing it back with the Deuce. Now for the questions.

I will be taking my tool box, a spare set of oil and fuel filters, 5 gallons of diesel, jumper cables, some engine oil, some gear oil, and some water (radiator). What am I forgetting? Does the Deuce have the power (if it is running correctly) to make the trip and tow a 6500 pound truck? Any additional advice?

I know it will be a long trip but I am actually looking forward to it. Thanks in advance.

DeucesWild11

Sure they'll let you drive it off base? Most don't have brakes. There are three stages of brakes on a Deuce: No Brakes , about to be No Brakes and just rebuilt the brakes.

I just took my Deuce on a 70 mile round trip to work yesterday.. I was happy I made it without any issues.

Flyingvan911

There are some standard items for all deuce recoveries and some items that vary deuce to deuce? Does yours need any parts? Does it start and drive? Do the brakes work? That's just a small start.

jaymcb

I purchased an M35A2 from GL and will be picking it up as soon as my EUC is approved. I will be driving it about 1000 mile to home. I plan on driving my pickup out and towing it back with the Deuce. Now for the questions.

I will be taking my tool box, a spare set of oil and fuel filters, 5 gallons of diesel, jumper cables, some engine oil, some gear oil, and some water (radiator). What am I forgetting? Does the Deuce have the power (if it is running correctly) to make the trip and tow a 6500 pound truck? Any additional advice?

I know it will be a long trip but I am actually looking forward to it. Thanks in advance.
Have you inspected/seen/started/stopped this before you drive it on a 1,000 mile recovery?

JCKnife

Bring another person to drive the pickup home; you'll cut your worries in half and have a helper to fend off Murphy.

rlwm211

It would pay to preview the truck before going to get it home. This way you can see if there are any brakes, or if it runs, or if it has flat tires etc......

As to towing your pickup, I would get a partner for the day to follow or lead you whatever. If for some reason the brakes are marginal you would be in more than a heap 'o trouble if you are towing a truck with no braking on the 'trailer' you are hauling and the deuce loses its brakes.

There are others who will bring this up so I will do it just to get this into the open.

Do you have insurance?

A temporary permit to move the truck on the highway?

Any clue how much trouble you will be in if you are stopped without insurance and a registration temporary or otherwise??????

Not to belabour the point but you need to understand that there are states, legislators, and others who would love to ban the old diesel trucks and especially ex military because they consider them "off-road" vehicles. If someone has an at fault accident and something bad happens, that just gives those people who do not think that our ex-Military Vehicles are cute more ammunition.

Above all, everyone here will agree on safety being Number 1 on the list

and Number 2 keeping a good image for the retired Military Vehicle Owner.

I am not lecturing or preaching. I am just letting you know what to think about.

Deucenut

WOW!!! Much information fast. Now to answer your questions:

DeucesWild11 - The truck was driven onto the lot so I am assuming a lot, like that it runs (though I am sure the batteries are toast) and has brakes. If there are issues I can't fix on the road I will leave it and come back later.
EO2NMCB - Thanks for the link. It was helpful.
Heavysteven - I am building a tow bar for the truck. I may even have a brake setup for it before I leave. I like building things.
Flyingvan911 - Thanks for the thoughts. I can't answer all your queries but I will check everything before I move the truck.
Warthog - I don't know for sure but the frame looks OK. I am reading everything I can get my hands on, including the TM's
jaymcb - At 1000 miles away I am taking a chance by not having seen it, which I may regret, but what an adventure :smile:.
wikallen - Ouch! Yea, I know it will cost me a dollar or two :)
JCKnife - I would not mind bringing someone else but it is not in the cards. I figure a three day trip if all goes well.
rlwm211 - Safety is always number 1. I am not afraid to walk away and find another solution if I do not believe it is safe. Yes, the truck will have a temporary registration and will be insured prior to my leaving. Thanks for the concern.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes and will probably be back with more questions.

derby

I would say to bring a tractor with a 35" Landall.

Do you have a tow light set up for the towed truck? Removing the drive shaft?
You have alot of work to do by yourself.

This is risky with one person, You can't get a soldier B?

I wish you luck, But You should consider other options.
Have You looked into getting it hauled?
I have driven a couple long recoveries the novelty wears off real quick.
Have You ever driven a large truck let alone a Deuce?

Not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but you have to think about all that could happen.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was lucky when I picked up mine 350 miles away. But, I had one of the best people that I would want with me on a pickup, my Brother.

Try for soldier B or ship it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW!!! Much information fast. Now to answer your questions:

DeucesWild11 - The truck was driven onto the lot so I am assuming a lot, like that it runs (though I am sure the batteries are toast) and has brakes. If there are issues I can't fix on the road I will leave it and come back later.
EO2NMCB - Thanks for the link. It was helpful.
Heavysteven - I am building a tow bar for the truck. I may even have a brake setup for it before I leave. I like building things.
Flyingvan911 - Thanks for the thoughts. I can't answer all your queries but I will check everything before I move the truck.
Warthog - I don't know for sure but the frame looks OK. I am reading everything I can get my hands on, including the TM's
jaymcb - At 1000 miles away I am taking a chance by not having seen it, which I may regret, but what an adventure :smile:.
wikallen - Ouch! Yea, I know it will cost me a dollar or two :)
JCKnife - I would not mind bringing someone else but it is not in the cards. I figure a three day trip if all goes well.
rlwm211 - Safety is always number 1. I am not afraid to walk away and find another solution if I do not believe it is safe. Yes, the truck will have a temporary registration and will be insured prior to my leaving. Thanks for the concern.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes and will probably be back with more questions.
How long ago was it " driven on to lot " ?
wheel cylinders start to leak from sitting and these trucks can sit a long time before it goes up for auction.

Deucenut

I drove semi up and down the California coast for years. If it has tires or tracks I can drive it. I also worked as a truck mechanic for several years. I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for.

Shipping estimate was as much as I payed for the truck. I will look for someone else to help. Anyone volunteering?

Srjeeper

Something most seldom think about and that is Flares & reflective Triangles. These trucks have few reflectors or reflective tape on them, are painted in dark, dull, colors, so anything to help yourself be seen in the event of trouble after dark could save yours and others lives.

Prepair for the worst, pray for the best....I'd also take along the NAPA numbers for all the belts. Could save you time & money at a parts store rather than trying to explain to them what it's for.

Good luck on your adventure......:popcorn:

Deucenut

Something most seldom think about and that is Flares & reflective Triangles. These trucks have few reflectors or reflective tape on them, are painted in dark, dull, colors, so anything to help yourself be seen in the event of trouble after dark could save yours and others lives.

Prepair for the worst, pray for the best....I'd also take along the NAPA numbers for all the belts. Could save you time & money at a parts store rather than trying to explain to them what it's for.

Good luck on your adventure......:popcorn:
Really good suggestions and you are correct, reflectors had not entered my mind. Thanks.

RealCavDog

:popcorn: Sounds like you at the very least have some basic hands-on experience and knowledge.

These trucks and G.L. will tax all that and then some, so I wish you the best, sucks to do it alone, and at least you are prepared to walk away, or so you say !

I am very aware of the "well, I made it this far . . ." scenario ! Be safe, not worth the risk otherwise !

Good Luck !

Jay :popcorn:

Deucenut

I am very aware of the "well, I made it this far . . ." scenario !
Jay :popcorn:
I really understand that statement! I have been bitten by that thinking a time or two, but the older I get the more I realize the risk isn't worth the potential reward. Thanks for the warning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks