• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do you pull behind your 5 ton tractor?

ke5eua

By actuator I mean a remote locking device where you can lock or unlock from the cab to help with hooking up.

I am not sure what a pintle actuator is. I removed the original pintle and replaced it with a fish mouth coupling, which are standard and obligatory in the Eu; military pintles are not allowed as coupling devices on civil trucks here.

View attachment 484819..View attachment 484818

The dump assembly and 5th wheel assembly are interchangeable now, takes about 1 hour and a 2-ton crane to take of the dump bed including subframe and hydraulics and put the 5th wheel on or vice versa. All lights, license plate, and in the future also the mud flaps are on a new bar at the rear of the truck connected to the main frame. The change is street legal and mentioned on the registration certificate.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By actuator I mean a remote locking device where you can lock or unlock from the cab to help with hooking up.
The fish mouth coupling works a bit like a 5th wheel coupling. When empty, it is always closed. When you want to lock up a trailer, you put the coupling open and on sharp. Then you just drive the truck backwards to the trailer and once the trailer ring is completely in the fish mouth and hits the back of the coupling (which is toward the front of the truck), the slightly conical pin snaps down and locks the trailer. When opening, you back into the trailer a bit and brake, put the coupling on open again and drive forward.

You can do this also from the cabin but you need to have a separate hydraulic system for it.

Bulldogg

NICE TRAILER'S Guys!!!! I currently pulling a 5ton flat trailer for hay hauling... where do you guys find them trailers?? I would like to get a flat trailer so I can haul my big squad baler, and self propeld chopper. I do custom work and would like to haule instead of drive the equipment.

JH1

Beautiful Ontos! You have a rare prize, there. I see those trailers up here in Washington State from time to time. Might know where there is one, right now. Too far, probably.
JH1

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What mpg's do you normally get with your a2?

I know the book says it will get 500 miles with 116 gallons bobtail only which puts it around 4 mpg.

Realistically what do you see?
With no trailer, around 11mpg (M931A2). With a trailer (up to around 25000 #), 9-10mpg. But I am never in a hurry driving these, easy on the acceleration, and my self-imposed cruising speed is 55 mph. A lot depends on headwind or tailwind, since a couple of my trailers have the aerodynamics of the broad side of a barn.

It also flat tows the V100 nicely (had a show to go to, and I'm redecking the lowboy).

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks