• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think?

bigugh20

I've really been wanting a deuce for over a year now, but living in a HOA type situation it just didn't seem feasable. During this time I've been looking into other MV's such as a M37 or a M1008 that would be ok in the driveway. A week or so ago while driving to work I thought I saw a deuce through a fence and trees. I stopped by to check it out and found that it is for sale. It is a w/w truck, tires are ok, not great, has a heater, needs paint but isn't rusted much at all. The only problems that I have with it are that it doesn't have an air shift for the front end and it has a funky hard top on it with no back window. Tag on the motor says it was rebuilt in 88 or so. It is currently titled and registered. Oh, the part that makes it work for me is that it is in a fenced in compound and the owner says that I can keep it there for as long as he owns the place, that gives me a placed to keep it and work on it.
I think that it is a LDT with a C turbo and it comes with a set of rubberized tracks for the rear tires.
How much of an issue is the sprag vs the air shift?

Attachments

wsucougarx

I had a sprag equipped truck....never again!! I guess a sprag truck isn't bad as long as it works correctly and you take care of it. You'll need to read up on the TM's and search the forum for the does and don'ts. Truck looks great!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Looks like either a leaky wheel cylinder or wheel seal on that front axle.....easy fix either way.

I agree that the sprage is not an issue as long as it works good. The big advantage with the air shift is that you can lock in the front wheels before you get into trouble.

The tracks are interesting.....are you sure they can be installed on the duece?

They look like tracks off a M113 APC.

bigugh20

Wreckerman, I haven't seen them installed on the truck, I was told that they have been used on another deuce to get it through the swamp. Either way it isn't a deal breaker. There are a couple of wheels with fluid on the inside, but that comes with the territory. The truck has been sitting for at least a year. The funny thing is that the truck has been there the whole time, it just had other equipment in front of it, I pass it every day and never knew it was there. The winch is a plus, the sprag has me concerned. I don't like the looks of the hard top, but it looks as though it may give me more headroom. The tires will do for awhile, but I really like the look of 11x20s and will have to start looking for some.
What's a rough estimate on parts for a air shift upgrade?

KsM715

If the hard top still has some of the soft top hardware under it your good to go, soft tops sell on here at a very reasonable price. Its that hardware thats harder to find and more expensive

bigugh20

I appreciate you're feedback on sprags. I did not want to ask you guys what you think it's worth because the normal response is "it's worth whatever you're willing to pay", and I understand that. However, this will be my first deuce and I can't afford to overpay because I also realize that this project will likely 100-500 dollar me to death and I have to be prepared for that. Here are my thoughts on the truck;
1. It's running
2. It has a winch that works
3. It is complete with all the essential components to operate it (will need bows, tarp, troop seats, etc. later)
4. All the tires are roadworthy (just not good enough to take on any long trips), but will need new tires soon.
5. Has plenty of rust, but none severe. All of it that I've located can be cleaned, prepped and painted over.
6.Has a solid hard top
But.......it is a sprag and after researching this issue I will want to upgrade that to an air-shift before counting on it off road, Also, the hat portion of the hard top has a raised seam that is behind my head making it very dangerous without modification, and there is no hardware there for a soft top, so I will have to locate another hard top. It needs new batteries and tires as well as new fluids/filters, and at least one axle seal or wheel cylinder. So not taking into consideration the storage issue which comes free with this truck or the tracks what would you're top offer be? Any input on this matter or further thoughts on this truck would be greatly appreciated.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck certainly looks decent but I have a question, WHAT is with the tracks? is this something that is common to Deuces? I have never seen them before, anything more you can tell me about these would sure be appreciated?? Thanks and good luck with the truck looks like a very solid place to start a restoration.
Karl

bigugh20

The consensus seems to be that they were originally for an APC. They are rubber with metal cross pieces and rubber tread. I'll know more if I end up with this truck. Then I can see how they fit and how the truck operates. I'm guessing that steering isn't gonna be great. I'm also guessing that the sprag will never engage, lol.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bigugh20,

My concern (besides price) is item #4, the tires. That is the largest obvious expense right now. All the other stuff can be done with modest parts expense (seals, wheel cylinders and such). The air shift transfer is desirable, however optional at this point.

Of course you should be concerned about what you can get it for! I say the base price for a private party sale truck w/w and with title in operational condition is $3500. If you come to terms with the seller for somewhere near that you are doing well.

Good luck and congratulations. Finding a worthwhile truck in your proximity is a fantastic opportunity.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks