• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does the M37 bed weigh?

Travlr

I've got an electric hoist rated for 500 pounds. It lifts the cab just fine, but I suspect the cab weighs less than the bed. Does anyone know what the M37 bed weighs?

Thanks...

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled mine for repair. At the shop two of us were able to maneuver (not lift) it by hand. If it were mine, I'd give the 500 lb hoist a try. It'll either lift it or not...

Travlr

I've pulled mine for repair. At the shop two of us were able to maneuver (not lift) it by hand. If it were mine, I'd give the 500 lb hoist a try. It'll either lift it or not...
While I appreciate the thought, I'd rather know what it weighs. I'm not inclined to break a $1000 hoist or break a cable so it falls on me just to give it a try.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I appreciate the thought, I'd rather know what it weighs. I'm not inclined to break a $1000 hoist or break a cable so it falls on me just to give it a try.
You can also "test lift" it before committing to the lift. Rig it up, pick it up a couple inches and let it hang for a few minutes.

That way, if something DOES fail, it isn't catastrophic.

Travlr

You can also "test lift" it before committing to the lift. Rig it up, pick it up a couple inches and let it hang for a few minutes.

That way, if something DOES fail, it isn't catastrophic.
Appreciate the ideas and if all else fails that's probably what will happen, but I'm still looking for a number. Surely someone knows with all the guys here that know every piece of trivia possible about their vehicles.

I used to do 400 pound reps with my legs, but I'm a lot older now. I tried lifting one side today and couldn't budge it. Your ten year old must be a beast.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always add a snatch block or two if you have them. An ATV one would work depending on the size of the cable. Less stress on everything except the beam carrying the load.

Old age has reduced my lifting capacity as well. Crap.

Travlr

Well it looks like I'll have to lever it onto the trailer and take it down to the local scales to see what it weighs. After all the answers it's just made me more curious.

Travlr

More like too short for OCD...
LOL... That's funny. I just accused a guy of that on another forum because he insists he needs really high quality, matching paint... to touch up holes he's going to drill in his engine compartment to mount some struts to lift the hood... and the holes are UNDERNEATH the brackets that will hold the struts. I call that OCD.

Is it unreasonable to ask a forum full of supposedly knowledgeable people for a weight before doing something potentially dangerous?

I had another guy tell me he was underneath his '69 442 which was up on jack stands... when an earthquake shook the car and it rocked hard but stayed on the jack stands. Now he doesn't go underneath the car without a block of wood that is thicker than he is. So OCD?

I knew a guy that was loading a full Coke machine using one of those tailgate hoists and the machine fell off and landed across his body, vertically. Crushed his right side, foot, leg, hip, ribs, shoulder. Not pretty. The guy said he should have been more careful. I think he wishes he'd been a little more OCD.

And I'm still wondering where all the experts are. We all have a lot of fun with these machines but I need some information before I do something stupid...

If you guys that like to guess or just test your luck want to do it differently, fine. I'll be the guy hoping for the best.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of cheap hanging scales on Amazon or elsewhere that will get you close enough, test with a known weight, then start picking your bed and stop if the scale hits 495lb.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been rebuilding & driving M37's longer than most of the guys on the forum.

The bed is the least lethal thing om the truck. Well, maybe more than the seat covers...

Anyways, please don't confuse OCD with stupid. Knowingly setting up something that will hurt you is the latter.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been rebuilding & driving M37's longer than most of the guys on the forum.

The bed is the least lethal thing om the truck. Well, maybe more than the seat covers...

Anyways, please don't confuse OCD with stupid. Knowingly setting up something that will hurt you is the latter.
D-
Several knowledgeable people who have moved these, worked with these and know these (and I consider your knowledge the gold standard) have explained to him how to safely move the bed, test his hoist etc without danger to himself or the bed.

He has decided he will not move it without a number, and in doing so has become very patronizing.....
At this point, I say let the thing sit there. We aren't going to convince him otherwise until he gets a number.

Most everyone on the forum knows how much I hate this, but let me ask @Travlr

"Have you read the TMs?"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks