• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does the M37 bed weigh?

Travlr

D-
Several knowledgeable people who have moved these, worked with these and know these (and I consider your knowledge the gold standard) have explained to him how to safely move the bed, test his hoist etc without danger to himself or the bed.

He has decided he will not move it without a number, and in doing so has become very patronizing.....
At this point, I say let the thing sit there. We aren't going to convince him otherwise until he gets a number.

Most everyone on the forum knows how much I hate this, but let me ask @Travlr

"Have you read the TMs?"
Yeah, the TMs don't show any weights. As far as me being "patronizing", I'm trying not to be rude so that may come across as patronizing to people that read it that way. It seems like these internet forums go both ways, either to angry responses or to being patronizing. If me trying not to be rude is patronizing to you... then it is what it is.

Look, if people don't have the answer to the question, I appreciate their suggestions. But I still need to work with what I have. My physical abilities are my own and I need to use equipment that I already have... if I can do the job. I'll figure it out one way or the other, but knowing what I have to deal with would make it easier. I asked a simple question. If no one knows... then don't expect me to use the speculation you're throwing out as though it's useful information... to me.

If you don't like my response, my explanation, my physical incapability, my words, then don't respond to the thread.

If you can answer the question in the title of the thread, that would be useful and I'd appreciate it.

This is me being patronizing if you want to read it that way.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Th
Yeah, the TMs don't show any weights. As far as me being "patronizing", I'm trying not to be rude so that may come across as patronizing to people that read it that way. It seems like these internet forums go both ways, either to angry responses or to being patronizing. If me trying not to be rude is patronizing to you... then it is what it is.

Look, if people don't have the answer to the question, I appreciate their suggestions. But I still need to work with what I have. My physical abilities are my own and I need to use equipment that I already have... if I can do the job. I'll figure it out one way or the other, but knowing what I have to deal with would make it easier. I asked a simple question. If no one knows... then don't expect me to use the speculation you're throwing out as though it's useful information... to me.

If you don't like my response, my explanation, my physical incapability, my words, then don't respond to the thread.

If you can answer the question in the title of the thread, that would be useful and I'd appreciate it.

This is me being patronizing if you want to read it that way.
The thing is, friend, that a piece of paper out there that has the weight of the bed likely doesn't exist.

You have had several people, myself included, who not only have moved these beds, but have also given you tips on how to weigh it/lift it with your hoist safely.

One of which is a hanging scale and a test lift.

Hang your scale between the hoist and the bed and do a test life. If the bed is heavier than your hoist is rated for, you'll see that before damage to the hoist or bed occurs.

You can also test lift it, as I suggested, by picking it up with your hoist a few inches and letting it hang.

To post a question and not accept ANY answers or alternatives is just stubborn.

We all gained our knowledge different ways. Some of us were trained, some of us were taught and some of us learned the hard way.

The key to this site's success is that asking of knowledge from those who know to those who are learning.

You have been answered by people who have decades of experience, yet you reject their answers.

In the interest of compromise and learning, I get off the boat tomorrow. Early next week, I will weigh the bed of my M37 as I need to move it off the frame to start restoration anyway using the method listed above.

I will take photos and document the weight as I find it and post it for posterity.

That way, if anyone ever needs to know the exact weight of the bed again, it will be preserved here on the site.

In fact, I'll go a step further and weigh the cab as I move it and other body parts/panels and try to make a comprehensive thread of all of the weights involved.

Would that ease your worries?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the deuce guys got down to nearly every part, 5 ton… not so much! Seems like bed and cab were the most sought after weights.

Travlr

Th

The thing is, friend, that a piece of paper out there that has the weight of the bed likely doesn't exist.

You have had several people, myself included, who not only have moved these beds, but have also given you tips on how to weigh it/lift it with your hoist safely.

One of which is a hanging scale and a test lift.

Hang your scale between the hoist and the bed and do a test life. If the bed is heavier than your hoist is rated for, you'll see that before damage to the hoist or bed occurs.

You can also test lift it, as I suggested, by picking it up with your hoist a few inches and letting it hang.

To post a question and not accept ANY answers or alternatives is just stubborn.

We all gained our knowledge different ways. Some of us were trained, some of us were taught and some of us learned the hard way.

The key to this site's success is that asking of knowledge from those who know to those who are learning.

You have been answered by people who have decades of experience, yet you reject their answers.

In the interest of compromise and learning, I get off the boat tomorrow. Early next week, I will weigh the bed of my M37 as I need to move it off the frame to start restoration anyway using the method listed above.

I will take photos and document the weight as I find it and post it for posterity.

That way, if anyone ever needs to know the exact weight of the bed again, it will be preserved here on the site.

In fact, I'll go a step further and weigh the cab as I move it and other body parts/panels and try to make a comprehensive thread of all of the weights involved.

Would that ease your worries?
If you're in the process and have the ability to weigh the bed, that would be great. I'd appreciate it very much.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since kendelrio is endeavoring to weigh various M37 body parts, please remember to adjust for rust, lack of rust, missing fasteners or not, multiple coats of paint, flaking paint, fuel tank access panel, aux power port, etc. We expect precision and completeness. ;)

As for me, a couple of buddies (or wife--but that inflates the red wine tab) powered by adult beverages (or not) usually gets the job done. (y)

Travlr

Still looking for a number if anyone knows how much the M37 bed weighs. The cab is going on, then the front end, and the bed last. I'm thinking by the end of June will be a little ambitious.

20240327_151347.jpg

Redleg130

Maybe ask the "Watson's Wagons" guy from Youtube? He has a series of videos on the M37 that he is rebuilding, and last I checked he had the bare frame so he had to have lifted the bed out at some point. I contacted him once on Facebook and he responded so he should be reachable. Watson's Wagons - YouTube

If you do manage to get this info, please do post it here so people can reference it later. I may do this someday and I agree it would be nice to have a real number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks