• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does the X stand for in XM816?

Hi, New member here. Joined because just about every time I searched for info on my m818 or XM816's, I was referred to this site. In case you are wondering, the photo in my avatar is our M818 that we put a small hydraulic boom on. We use it at our marina to pull boats that weigh 30,000 plus and their trailers up and down a long steep ramp. Anyway, my question refers to the two XM816's that I just bought from GL. The question is simple "what does the "X" stand for. The trucks seem pretty much identical to the ones that are just m816's. Thanks.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, New member here. Joined because just about every time I searched for info on my m818 or XM816's, I was referred to this site. In case you are wondering, the photo in my avatar is our M818 that we put a small hydraulic boom on. We use it at our marina to pull boats that weigh 30,000 plus and their trailers up and down a long steep ramp. Anyway, my question refers to the two XM816's that I just bought from GL. The question is simple "what does the "X" stand for. The trucks seem pretty much identical to the ones that are just m816's. Thanks.
X is for Xtreme! Oh wait...yeah experimental.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site, MarinaWreckers. I'll bet most all of us would love to see some pictures of your MV's at use in the marina. It never ceases to amaze me all the ways these vehicle get used in their retirement. It seems there are few jobs they aren't well suited for.

You'll find that many of the questions you might have about your trucks have been covered in the past, the search here will quickly become your best friend. ( Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Search Forums )

Here are some threads that discuss the "X" that some 809 series trucks have in their designations:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/16622-xm818-vs-m818.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/14279-whats-difference.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/10386-so-what-does-x-mean.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/26581-xm-designation.html

Thanks too all. Clinto, thanks for the links. I am not exactly computer literate, but not illiterate either. I did initially check the archives, entering different variations of the question from something as simple as "x" to "difference between x and xm", always with no results. I looked under "advanced search". Apparently I did something wrong. How did you find these posts?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think most of the guys and gals on this site learned the terminology from the books. There are several out that explain the nominclature of the numbers used in the truck, on the truck and about the truck. There are alot of particulars and they have changed over the years from pre world war two on. The trucks coming out now would be hard on the guys who decided the nomenclature back in WWII like the DUKW, each letter means something, yet they get a common use of DUCK out of it, Some of the collector groups such as the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association) among others as well as advertisers in the two printed magazines dedicated to the hobby in the states sell them. Good luck with your machines, you'll learn to love them. (its the color, causes a strange mental malady in most people) Also welcome aboard. By the way, I use mine all the time working around our boats, (all military too) especially the M series wrecker.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How did you find these posts?
It took me a second-the search here is..... how do I say this nicely.... not optimal?

I tried searching by "experimental" and a couple other ways, but eventually didn't find what I was after. I finally just did a search, in all forums, for "XM818" and then XM813". I went through all the results and picked out the ones that covered this topic. I knew including "XM818" would net any question that had to do with the X designator.

There is a thread up and running where we've encouraged people who are searching for a particular topic but aren't having luck to post in. Post what you are looking for and one of us will try and find it and explain how they found it.

Link: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/58151-trouble-searching.html

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. I agree, post some pics if you get a chance. Looks like we have another member to the "wrecker club"!

I don't have any photos of the M816's yet, other than the GL ones. I just cleared EUC approval (5 year re-up, took forever). They should be here this week. I got them at the giant Fort Meade auction in November. These photos are crappy, taken with my cell phone, but it shows the M818 that we have used without incident for four years now.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks