• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what does this mean?

dezert ratt

When I took my rear hub apart, the cork plug was in still but damaged. Holy cow, I didn't realize how good gear oil can wash the grease right out of the bearings!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not meaning to hijack this thread but im bout to fix an axle leak but if i remove the wheel to inspect the bearings on the other axles will i need to replace the outer seal just from removing it? If i wanted to repack the bearings is there a way to remove them without detroying the inner seal? Basically im asking should i just order a set of seals for all the axles since after seeing this i would like to inspect all of mine
I ordered new seals for all axles and replaced them and all wheel cylinders as well. Now, having done that, I would say that on a leaking axle I would replace all seals. If an axle is not leaking I would take great care removing the brake drum as to not harm the inner seal, clean everything up, re-pack bearings and assemble with (perhaps) a new outer seal. The inner seal keeps dust etc out but the outer seal and whatever you block the keyway with seal against the gear oil.

Part of my thinking is that the OEM seals are of high quality; the new seals you get everywhere are New Star and, yes, they kinda fit and sorta seal, but look and feel inferior to what I took off my truck.

Murphy says - if it ain't broke, don't fix it and that is very often true.

FormerNewMVGuy

That little cork in the keyway will get you every time, i use rubberized cork and have never had any more leaks, i ussually cut two and push em in with the outer seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks