• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does this sensor do

toxicroadkill

I just bought a 1986 hmmwv, completely stock. Im slowly learning about the vehicle, but one item has me wondering, on the back of the engine right by the bellhousing where the vac pump would be on a cucv, there is a sensor of some kind. Can someone tell me what it does?

papakb

That sensor is an RPM detector that's used by the STE/ICE test set to measure engine RPM. It doesn't report to anything else and is not critical to the operation of the vehicle.

It can be used to send a signal to the tachometer if you have one installed.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That sensor is an RPM detector that's used by the STE/ICE test set to measure engine RPM. It doesn't report to anything else and is not critical to the operation of the vehicle.

It can be used to send a signal to the tachometer if you have one installed.
Not critical ?? Spins the oil pump and keeps the oil in. Don't take it out.

Me just a critic of red typing, CAMO
red letters.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we are talking about the RPM sensor and it is not needed unless it has a tach. NOT the oil pump drive, they are two separate things, yes you want to leave the sensor in place to keep water from infiltrating the oil pump drive.

But actually he was just curious what it was, he never said anything about removing it...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also it sits on top of the oil pump drive which would be powering the vacuum pump on the CUCV, YOUR HMMWV has no vacuum source so it has a mechanical "kickdown" cable to the 3 speed TH400 instead of a vacuum controlled servo like on the CUCV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks