• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what drains my batteries?

ronbosurplus

Can't start my truck again. If it sits for a week without being started the batteries go dead. I have to take the batteries to autozone to recharge them again. Whats draining my batteries?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a few dozen things. Is this is a "new to you" truck? Bone stock?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I would try disconnecting the wires from the alternators, and wait and see if that stops the drain. (if it does, then you found the source of the drain)

I suspect you have a bad internal component in one or both alternators.

Since the truck is new to you, I also recommend you rebuild both alternators now. (based on mine and many others experiences here)

You need to let the alternator shop know that they are "isolated ground" alternators. Test them yourself to be sure they are, before re-installing them.

Of course, you could have the under dash light, left on and that's your problem. I assume you looked for anything obvious, before asking here for help.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
most of the time it's a bad alternator regulator if your gen 1 or 2 lights are on and also you could have a broken grounding wire check each connection. what does your volt meeter say when your runing the engine?

P.S. i had the same prob 4 days ago got the driver side alt rebuilt and a new grounding strap and shes in the green on the volt meter

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MM01, did you find a NOS ground wire? Are your issues fixed? What did you do, you didn't update your threads.

OL AG '89

had a similar problem on a civvy model, but it was an amp not shutting off. I unhooked the battery cable to ground and put an ampmeter between to complete. It was reading about 2 Amps, with nothing on, started disconnecting amps and found the problem. You do the same, and see if you can isolate what is causing the drain. I'm not real familiar with the dual alt setup yet, but I presume if you disconect one at a time it will show up.

ronbosurplus

Thanks for all the info. Now I have a good idea where to start looking. thanks doghead. How much is gonna cost approx. to fix one or two 84' alternators?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost to fix? $50 or less. Others have posed here about rebuilding them.

If you have a decent local re-builder, I would hope you can get them done there for $50-100 each.

I think rebuilding them, when you get the truck, is money well spent. You should be confident that you wont have trouble for years to come.

Alternator rebuilds

Cost to fix? $50 or less. Others have posed here about rebuilding them.

If you have a decent local re-builder, I would hope you can get them done there for $50-100 each.

I think rebuilding them, when you get the truck, is money well spent. You should be confident that you wont have trouble for years to come.

Doghead is so right i just Had a Place Called coastal rebuilders in Wilmington NC do both my alternators it cost me a total of $220 For both alternators to get rebuilt as soon as i tackle my newest issue lol ill getem on the truck eventually

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it's time to get out your volt meter and find where the power stops.

Several places to check.

Are you sure you have all your cables connected well?

ronbosurplus

I all ways just pushed in the headlights knob to turn them off. when I turned it counterclockwise it clicked. WHAT IS THAT CLICK? TO TURN SOMETHING ON OR OFF? in the new chevy work trucks that usually turns on a dome light. thanks southern steel and doghead. I don't own a volt meter what is a good brand to get?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The headlight switch operates the park and headlights when you pull it out.

When you rotate it, it adjusts the dash gauge illumination brightness.

When you turn it until it clicks, it turns on an under dash light, for interior illumination(near the ashtray/under the dash)

If you don't use a digital volt meter often, I'd suggest an elcheapo from Harbor freight(less than $10).

hayden

theres a guy in Durham named lonnie he runs a smaller electric motor rebuild shop out of his back yard, hes a great guy I got him to do an alternator last minute he did it quick. he has many years of experience and has had contracts through bragg rebuilding cucv alts and startes you should be able to find him on google if it turns out you need an alt or two or a starter rebuilt.

ronbosurplus

I just read the forum CUCV alternator symptoms, diagnosis and fix. Really explains some of the problems I am having. Also really explains how to use the volt and ohms meter. Really good info.