• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What engine can i use?

Halo615

I believe the 6.7 cummins will also fit, as well as the 8.3.

DT466 I think fits. And the CAT 🐈 that's used in the M35A3 and the LMTV.

But the 5.9 is probably the best choice out of the bunch. Assuming you feel the need to dump the multifuel....
Ive found a 5.9, could you give me any info on the transmission? (ie: adapter plate for deuce trans or get a new trans)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen an M35 with a 350 Chevy & the original gasser 5-speed at the Modesto Big Bear rally a few years ago.

It went down the road just fine with a good load of stuff he bought at the rally.

Probably the cheapest route to a repower out there...

And...gas is cheaper than Diesel everywhere.

DG

HDN

Regarding the Cat 3116 in the M35A3 - the A3 deuces have a longer and wider engine bay, and I think the hood may sit a little higher. I'm not sure if those changes are necessary for re-powering a pre-A3 deuce to a Cat inline 6.

I was thinking about this recently, toying with the idea of putting a Jeep 4.0L straight-6 in one, but it just doesn't have comparable torque to the Continental gas motor.

Having recently bought a 2002 GMC Savana 3500 with the Chevy 350 V8, I think that V8 would be a good replacement.

Here's a little table of engines that I've considered (max specs whenever found):

Make/ModelDisplacement and CylindersHorsepowerTorque (lb-ft)Info Source
Continental OA331​
331 cu. in. (5.4L) Inline 6
146​
330​
Chrysler 4.0L I6​
244 cu. in. (4.0L) Inline 6
190​
235​
GM 5.7L Vortec​
350 cu. in. (5.7L) V8
255​
330​
GM 6.0L Vortec​
366 cu. in. (6.0L) V8
360​
380​
Chrysler 5.7L HEMI V8​
350 cu. in. (5.7L) V8
383​
400​
GM 8.1L Vortec​
496 cu. in. (8.1L) V8
340​
455​
Diesel motors
Caterpillar 3116​
403 cu. in. Inline 6
170+​
420​
M35A3 Operator's Manual TM9-2320-386-10
Cummins 5.9L​
359 cu. in. Inline 6
325​
610​
International DT466E​
466 cu. in. Inline 6
300​
860​

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive found a 5.9, could you give me any info on the transmission? (ie: adapter plate for deuce trans or get a new trans)
If your 5.9L already had the SAE#2 bell housing, then all you need to keep the original Spicer is a #2-to-#3 adapter ring.

Dimensions, below:

Attachments

williamh

I had a friend that had a V8 (gas) in an M-211. I think it was a 455 from some Cadillac , only had a few thousand Miles and had better top end but no low end tork. After checking the motor I found you could slide the crank about 3/8 of an inch in and out. the main “thrust” bearings were totally wasted , the V-8 in this heavy trucks will go but don’t have the tork to pull the weight without killing the bearings. The straight 302 i had in my M135 was in way better shape (other than the thrown rod) , i only say that after tearing down both motors to rebuild , yea I had to replace a rod and bearings. But it was salvageable. That 455 was a complete waste. For a heavy truck , I would always go with the inline 6. The funvee ?! If I had an pile of cash to burn. ?? Durmamax. 🤯

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago in Yuma, Az, an auomotive engineer with numerous patents with GM designed repower packages for the Jimmys.

His choice was the Caddy 501, a turbo 400, and a lower first gearset.

The 211's were stretched out, a 20 foot steel box added, and they were used in muddy field harvesting very successfully for quite some time.

Not only did they perform well in the fields, but were quite suitable on the highways hauling crops to processing.

DG

ToddJK

I guess it really depends on what you plan to do with it. Just drive it around for fun and maybe some parades? Gonna use it to haul some firewood or do odd jobs on the property?
Myself, I would stick with a diesel engine. There's plenty out there that will make that truck giddy on up and then some. I'm partial to the multi-fuel engine myself, it's plenty easy to work on and been around one for as long as I have, I'm just so familiar with it that I'm more comfortable staying with it. Everyone's opinion is different, but Mullaney did have some good recommendations on his list as well as others.

rustystud

The best engine for the Deuce would be a truck diesel. Having said that there are many gas engines that were created as truck engines. What are the differences you say ? For one the blocks were usually made of heavier castings (stronger) , the "thrust bearings" were much stronger (bigger) , and the cams were designed for low end torque. The Chevy 366 comes to mind as does the whole line of Chrysler Marine engines. Just type in "Gas truck engines" and you will see a ton of engines out there. Many of these engines can be had for real cheap as the "Performance" crowd never liked the bulky heavy engines. Also almost all the truck engines came with SAE bellhousings or their adapters.
Now again my favorite is the International DT466 diesel. Fantastic engine. It started it's life as a tractor engine, then IHC made it into a medium truck engine. I worked on these engines in the 1970's to 1980's .
They had real good fuel economy and where extremely dependable. Also easy to work on.
So if I ever need to repower my Deuce that would be my first choice. Of course if I had the money I would buy a 2018 to 2020 DuraMax ! Since I don't have $15,000 plus laying around the IHC DT466 can be had for a few thousand.

Halo615

The best engine for the Deuce would be a truck diesel. Having said that there are many gas engines that were created as truck engines. What are the differences you say ? For one the blocks were usually made of heavier castings (stronger) , the "thrust bearings" were much stronger (bigger) , and the cams were designed for low end torque. The Chevy 366 comes to mind as does the whole line of Chrysler Marine engines. Just type in "Gas truck engines" and you will see a ton of engines out there. Many of these engines can be had for real cheap as the "Performance" crowd never liked the bulky heavy engines. Also almost all the truck engines came with SAE bellhousings or their adapters.
Now again my favorite is the International DT466 diesel. Fantastic engine. It started it's life as a tractor engine, then IHC made it into a medium truck engine. I worked on these engines in the 1970's to 1980's .
They had real good fuel economy and where extremely dependable. Also easy to work on.
So if I ever need to repower my Deuce that would be my first choice. Of course if I had the money I would buy a 2018 to 2020 DuraMax ! Since I don't have $15,000 plus laying around the IHC DT466 can be had for a few thousand.
Thank you sir, your information and knowledge are well appreciated.

Halo615

If you decide to use a 12 valve 6BT Cummins you'll not be disappointed. It is a bit of work and investment to get it all sorted, but well worth the effort.
the 5.9 12Valve 6BT Cummins is the engine I'm looking to buy within the next few weeks, how much modifying will I be looking at to make it work?

Halo615

Regarding the Cat 3116 in the M35A3 - the A3 deuces have a longer and wider engine bay, and I think the hood may sit a little higher. I'm not sure if those changes are necessary for re-powering a pre-A3 deuce to a Cat inline 6.

I was thinking about this recently, toying with the idea of putting a Jeep 4.0L straight-6 in one, but it just doesn't have comparable torque to the Continental gas motor.

Having recently bought a 2002 GMC Savana 3500 with the Chevy 350 V8, I think that V8 would be a good replacement.

Here's a little table of engines that I've considered (max specs whenever found):

Make/ModelDisplacement and CylindersHorsepowerTorque (lb-ft)Info Source
Continental OA331​
331 cu. in. (5.4L) Inline 6
146​
330​
Chrysler 4.0L I6​
244 cu. in. (4.0L) Inline 6
190​
235​
GM 5.7L Vortec​
350 cu. in. (5.7L) V8
255​
330​
GM 6.0L Vortec​
366 cu. in. (6.0L) V8
360​
380​
Chrysler 5.7L HEMI V8​
350 cu. in. (5.7L) V8
383​
400​
GM 8.1L Vortec​
496 cu. in. (8.1L) V8
340​
455​
Diesel motors
Caterpillar 3116​
403 cu. in. Inline 6
170+​
420​
M35A3 Operator's Manual TM9-2320-386-10
Cummins 5.9L​
359 cu. in. Inline 6
325​
610​
International DT466E​
466 cu. in. Inline 6
300​
860​
thanks for the info.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks