• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What exactly is this on the + bus terminal? Silicone?

Wildland

I just bought an 03' M997A2 and it has various types of clear and white silicon caulking on what I'd call critical electrical-mechanical junctions like the alternator wiring nuts, battery, etc. I also have an 07 1097R1 and it doesn't have any. I am guessing one saw in-theater action and one did not!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are going fording (which you should NOT) just remove it and clean up the connections just like every other vehicle on the planet.

spankybear

Unless you are going fording (which you should NOT) just remove it and clean up the connections just like every other vehicle on the planet.
This... Mine had corrosion under the sealer on the ground lug... If I where to do fording I would use dialectic grease instead of RTV... YMMV...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would be well advised to keep the Silicone on the lug connections, there is a lot of amps running through them and having them exposed where something metal could possibly come in contact with them would create quite a mess.
3-5 times a week I remove the Slave connector power lead on this power strip for trucks trucks here in the shop, I’ve never once in hundreds of trucks found corrosion on the lugs, that tell me the silicone is doing it’s job, when I’m done, I seal it back up

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are concerned the connection is poor under the silicone, then check for voltage drop while cranking. For example, on the positive connection, connect a meter between the positive cable at the battery post and the inside of the passthrough connector or at the starter positive terminal.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would be well advised to keep the Silicone on the lug connections, there is a lot of amps running through them and having them exposed where something metal could possibly come in contact with them would create quite a mess.
3-5 times a week I remove the Slave connector power lead on this power strip for trucks trucks here in the shop, I’ve never once in hundreds of trucks found corrosion on the lugs, that tell me the silicone is doing it’s job, when I’m done, I seal it back up
Steve, is there any dpecific RTV, silicone or sealant to be used pr recommended for this?

87cr250r

If you want RTV use Dow Corning 734.

If you want grease use Dow Corning 111

If you want upgraded grease use Ulta Safety Systems Ultra Tef-Gel.

spankybear

If you want RTV use Dow Corning 734.

If you want grease use Dow Corning 111

If you want upgraded grease use Ulta Safety Systems Ultra Tef-Gel.
Not all RTV is the same. Some is corrosive ... Can't go wrong with Dow Corning .

Can't argue with Dow Corning's grease but I use super lube as it is easier to find. I use supper lube on all packard connectors that I take apart. Will not harm the rubber and makes them slide in easier. Plus adds some waterproofing.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the description for 738.
I have picked some surplus boxed with nsn and part number.
Pretty sure that is what is in the system and has a mil spec

spankybear

Read the description for 738.
I have picked some surplus boxed with nsn and part number.
Pretty sure that is what is in the system and has a mil spec
A lot of Dow Corning has Mil spec stuff... 738 is white from what I have read... I would take a guess and think they would use 732 on the terminals. It's " multi purpose". Dow makes good stuff so any would work...

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Voice from the back of the club house... It's a HumV not a bathtub or submarine.

First thing I did ...cleaned all that crap off for a visual and clean electrical bare connections, Through OUT the HumV. That never been done before? Something I can see and work with.

Under the glopped on sealant, any sign of corrosion, in my world, can not be address. A simple brushed on / spray clear lacquer or better Glyptal (the red stuff seen on motor windings) allowing quick inspection and rework if necessary.

Plus it's a mess, stinks, never looks good, even after poking, smearing, redressing, and always missing a spot or two, except skin and clothes LOL. That one picture looks like it flowed out of a Cheez Whiz can. If looking to build a rubber bumper it worked. Better IMO, place a thin fiberglass board over the HOT stuff on stand-off's or simple bracket.

OK ok .... I will sit down now. 💺 CAMO

coating.jpg SMELLS GOOD cheeeez.jpg Tastes OK. Will clogg up your pipes

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks