• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Fuels Are Being Used in Multi- Fuel Engines?

CanonNinja

well, i had to try the multi-fuel part today, ran below the pickup in the tank and died in the middle of the highway... sure as hell works on gasoline too, dumped a gallon of 93 in and fired it right up to move off the highway. Didnt sputter or complain much for the 90 seconds it was running. I love this truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just made a 400 or so mile round trip in the M52 tractor with the multi-fuel engine.
I ran a homemade mixture of used motor oil/gasoline most of the way.
I was carrying reserve fuel in a 55 gal drum lashed to the catwalk of the tractor.
When I got low (I could not draw fuel from the right tank) I would siphon (BLEAH) the mixture into the tank till I had it half full...then I added 87 octane till it was full.
I did this twice and the last fill up was straight diesel.
She ran like a champ but it seemed like it did better on the diesel.
I have sucked old fuel out of trucks, mixed it with reg gas and it burned fine.
I have also ran half used motor oil and half laquer thinner....it ran like a molested monkey but cleaned out the fuel system. I had to change all the filters...I also discovered the ability of laquer thinner to desolve certain rubber components.
If it has heat the multi will burn it.

aboonski

#2 Fuel Oil

Had to search for the thread but finally found it regarding alternate fuels. My question is - #2 Fuel oil? I was just given about 80 gallons of the stuff and it looks very close to what diesel looks like but red in color- even smells a bit like diesel. As I got towards the bottom of the 110 gallon tank the fuel oil got darker in color. One of my neighbors had experience with #2 fuel oil in the Army and said they used it but had to add motor oil to the #2. Is this still the case or can it just be added to the fuel tank without any consequences? I have only used straight diesel in my truck since the day I bought it so I don't want to harm the injector pump or anything else for that matter.

JR

RE: #2 Fuel Oil

I went to richmond a few weeks ago, 150mi each way. On the way up I was running 75% wmo 25% kero and I burned over half a tank. Added 15 gal of diesel and 15 gal of 87 gas in richmond and I used less than half a tank with 1500lbs in the back. This would lead me to believe wmo + kero gives worse mileage.

What fuels give the best and worst mpg?

FormerNewMVGuy

I have been running 90% waste ATF, with 10% offroad diesel, I have logged about 700 miles on this mixture and the truck runs great and my milage stays at around 11 mpg

aboonski

I may have asnwered my own question after looking over a list of fuels from the 10. At the bottom is shows "Burner Fuel Oil, VV-F-815, grade FO-1 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C)" and also shows FO-2 directly under that which I assume is #2 Fuel Oil. If I am wrong, someone let me know! I am not familiar with all of the technical specifications like VV-F-815, etc. which sounds like the government's way of making everything sound complicated when it really is not.