• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What good is a 400 MHz generator?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What good is a 400Hz generator?

Howdy,

What good is a 400Hz generator?

In the civilian world, there is no need for a 400Hz generator. Unless you work at an airport.
I consider them to be great sources of parts.
The engine, hoses, injectors, fuel pumps, radiator, fuel tanks, fuel lines, body panels, and 80% of the gauges.

Most of the time they are in good shape, and sometimes can be picked up at a good price.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

No Guy, the question is about a 400 MHz generator, not a 400 Hz generator. The induction heater idea does seem to be a possibility. :)

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm fairly certain the OP meant 400 Hz.

But outside using it for parts for a 60 Hz unit, heating equipment and incandescent lighting is about it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Yes, a MEP 400Hz generator. Great if you are running radar.. starting a jet engine...

but, Parting it out is the best use to me. 80% of the unit is usable for the 60Hz models.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know not an 803 but the gensets that I have seen selling of late that are 400hz that i would love to have are these, but don't have enough cash laying around. Oh yeah turbine power!!!!![h=1]1968 Libby Welding A/M32A-60B 60kW Turbine Generator[/h]
729928_6465_159_0001.jpg

FloridaAKM

I had one given to me & was going to run an ac off of it. The generator was 8kw @ 400hz 3 phase. It would generate voltage, but not current. Just another dumb idea that was fun @ the time 20 years ago. The two cylinder engine still runs, but the generator is junk. I believe that it was a 1953 vintage!

Triple Jim

This has been talked about before, but these days you could use the 400 Hz generator to charge batteries, if you build a DC power supply for the job. Then use one or more big sine wave inverters to make 120 volt AC. There would be added expense, but you'd have a neat system capable of supplying household power for a while without the generator running. Depending on how big the battery bank was, you might even be able to run the generator only in the daytime, and have power full time.

Guyfang

Staff member
I know not an 803 but the gensets that I have seen selling of late that are 400hz that i would love to have are these, but don't have enough cash laying around. Oh yeah turbine power!!!!!1968 Libby Welding A/M32A-60B 60kW Turbine Generator

View attachment 670220
I would love to own one of these turbine gen sets. Every morning, I would go out and start it. Just to hear that wonderful sound, of it spooling up. Listen to that wonderful turbine sound. Smell that wonderful turbine smell. Feel that wonderful feel, with my hand on the top of the housing. After 10-15 minutes, I would turn it off. Just to hear it spool down. And then, every time during the day, when I need a little boost, do it all over again.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to own one of these turbine gen sets. Every morning, I would go out and start it. Just to hear that wonderful sound, of it spooling up. Listen to that wonderful turbine sound. Smell that wonderful turbine smell. Feel that wonderful feel, with my hand on the top of the housing. After 10-15 minutes, I would turn it off. Just to hear it spool down. And then, every time during the day, when I need a little boost, do it all over again.
Howdy,
nah, I would not want that large 60KW generator.

Ya need the little guy like this.
Gas Turbine Engine Generator, MEP 362A, Tiernay TT10
https://youtu.be/HDXdpO9Vztw

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the coolest gen I have ever seen. I want one bad. That is awesome. I'd be just like Guyfang just go start it to hear it run.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbySu1-7nk4

Take this link to youtube. Its the original turbine gen set for Patriot. The D424A, 150 KW, (would easily pull 300-350 KW) gen set, 416 volt, 400 hertz. We cooked our food on the exhaust. Listen to it spool up with headphones. Computer speakers do NOT do it justice.

This second link is with the doors on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97LHc44TTo

Great idea, very bad reliability.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

18.6 gallons per hour. I guess that's not horrible, and would be about like 1.86 gallons per hour for a 15 kW generator, which is only a little more than something like an MEP004A uses (I think). At under 5,000 lbs, it seems pretty light for its output.

Guyfang

Staff member
The engine was developed by Ford. It was bought from ford by Allison. The first model, was without Regenerator Wheels, and consumed Approx. 42-43 gal per hour. The regen wheels were simply a brilliant idea, for that time. It was developed when the US was going into the oil embargo. Test motors were installed into 18 wheelers, and the drivers loaded the trailers to max allowable load, and drove back and forth, from east to west coast. The trucks were so powerful, that the drivers racked up the most expensive speeding tickets for 18 wheelers, ever given out. But they could never get reliability under control. So that when Ford sold it to Allison. In the 70's, the army came to Allison, and asked for a powerful turbine engine for its new Patriot project. Allison asked what is the requirement? 150 KW was the answer. The Allison rep at the factory told me that had to army asked for 300, or 350 KW, they would have given them the same engines. Reliability was the killer for this gen set. The army bought 104 engines from Allisons. Four engines were totaled in trials. The army planned on 7 battalions of Patriot. That came to a total of 96 engines needed. Four extra, to be used as spares. Thank goodness, the army had to scale back Patriot. We consumed engines at an incredible rate. The price for an engine, not the get set, just the engine was 255,000.00 You could set your watch at 1000 hours, the engine would self destruct. The problem was the darn things never had a "cheap" failure. It ran like a top, or destroyed itself. We spent, and the next time any of you complain about how expensive a complete service is, we spent about 30-35 THOUSAND, on a 500 hours service. Got to run, maybe continue later!

Haoleb

I know we're getting a little off topic here but just imagine... Power outage.. Neighbors out trying to pull start their little champion screamer. Another neighbor maybe has a propane standby kick on.. but no.. you sir go out.. cold beer in hand. 1911 on the hip and fire up your D424A and as that baby spools up your house comes back to life and lights up like the las vegas strip set to the sweet sound of a turbine engine.

Well... it sure seems nice in my imagination. The sound of that little lister petter 4cyl diesel aint so bad either :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks