• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What grade/brand lube oil in MEP004a?

SurfinElvis

Just wondering what the members' preference is for oil grade/brand in the White 4 cylinder.
The info plate refers to HO 30 between 20F and 125F, so I assume that's military for 30W oil.
Any suggestions or preferences are appreciated.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get a manual for it?

Added link

chudov.com/manuals/Military-Generators/MEP-004A/

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

Just wondering what the members' preference is for oil grade/brand in the White 4 cylinder.
The info plate refers to HO 30 between 20F and 125F, so I assume that's military for 30W oil.
Any suggestions or preferences are appreciated.
Any 15/40 oil meeting API CI-4/SL, CH-4, CG-4 will be fine. Rotella is probably the best......Delo by Chevron also good....several others out there....Ever since the recession hit I've been using the Walmart super tech brand 15/40 in all my diesel vehicles and equipment with no problems. $2.67/quart....you can also buy the gallons, but it's cheaper by the quart...

Update--I noticed on 02 March that WM has lowered the (gallon) price of their 15/40 oil, so as of this writing, the gallons are cheaper to buy than the quarts...obviously I mean cost per ounce is less by the gallon....quart price is still $2.67....didn't record the gallon price but they definitely lowered it....

Last edited:

Robbied46

I've had great success with Rotella also. On any given day, I have as many as 40 diesels running 10 to 12 hours per day. I've had no oil related issues at all and some engines are approaching 10,000 hrs.