• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What grease for wheel bearings?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What type of grease should I use to pack wheel bearing on my m923 ?
It's your choice on what you have available. I use Rotella HD red or yellow cause I get it $3 a tube. Some folks like Lucas. Some like original GAA.

I have buckets of valvoline red and black I use for 5th wheels and cables

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any good grease but moly. It turns to mush when mixed with even a tiny bit of gear oil, and I guarantee oil will leak a bit.

DDG

Ajax MD

I actually researched the specifications for the milspec GAA vs. Lucas Red 'n Tacky and several other lithium based greases.

The Lucas most closely matches the specifications of GAA compared to other lithium based greases in the categories of Penetration, Drop Point, Viscosity, Separation, Corrosion Protection and Water Resistance.

I decided that a new tub of Lucas Red 'n Tacky was better than a 20 year old tub of GAA that has been sitting on a hot warehouse shelf.

charlesmann

For those that have repacked their hubs, front and rear. How much grease, ball park, does each hub take? With ctis disabled (not working at control unit) and lines going into the axles capped and plugged, should i get a hub seal kit w/o ctis or should i even replace the seals?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
For those that have repacked their hubs, front and rear. How much grease, ball park, does each hub take? With ctis disabled (not working at control unit) and lines going into the axles capped and plugged, should i get a hub seal kit w/o ctis or should i even replace the seals?
Leave the seals out and pack the empty space with grease.

Around 3 tubes per hub between packing and filling the empty space if you clean out a majority of the old grease.

charlesmann

@simp5782 You mean leave the ctis seals out? There are seal kits for the 939 series for with and w/o ctis. They are sold on boyce equip.
If you do mean leave the ctis seal out, wouldnt getting the kit w/o the seals be better?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@simp5782 You mean leave the ctis seals out? There are seal kits for the 939 series for with and w/o ctis. They are sold on boyce equip.
If you do mean leave the ctis seal out, wouldnt getting the kit w/o the seals be better?
Yes. You do not need the seals for the CTIS if it is not operational. Sometimes the kits are nearly the same price for A1 and A2s. Or I find one of the other cheaper. It just depends on what I run across as to what I use. So leave them out regardless of what kit you get.

Or buy the seals individually for 5 to 15$ if you search ebay.

dmetalmiki

Any good grease but moly. It turns to mush when mixed with even a tiny bit of gear oil, and I guarantee oil will leak a bit.

DDG
HMMM, But, Someone once told me "that gearbox is absolutely K....d", it will last about two weeks, knocking growling jumping out of second gear (1943 Ford jeep).
I FILLED (packed) the gearbox with molyslip grease...And it has been fine ever since.
WHEN?.........................1968!!
Transfer case, Hubs, tractor joints similarly packed. Also good to date.
Front and rear axles mollied.
What can I say.
'Cept moly is in every truck I own, ( And every car) Engines included.

charlesmann

This specification requires a grease that is capable of lubrication and corrosion protection over an extremely wide range of temperatures; there is no currently available non-government standard which fulfills the requirements of this specification.
Check out royco 22cf or mobile 28. it is not the same mil-prf, but comes close to the requirements of the gaa grease. The down side to royco is its awful smell.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking over the requirements you posted for a grease that will be applied to the outside or exposed sides of artillery is one thing. Yes it does say it can be used for other things but does not specifically say from what I read wheel bearings or that is the only grease that can be used for wheel bearings. Guess it was easer to have just one grease at the time of military service but now in civilian hands we can choose what we think best. I still prefer a EP grease used more today in wheel bearings and equipment. Here I am not worried about biodegradability, smell, color, not staining my cloths or discoloration of other surfaces. Plus mixing with other greases what we do not do on wheel bearings plus weather proof to a point or exposure to the elements. As always your truck do as you will.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve found every type of Lucas I try seeps out of my grease gun when it gets hot in the sun. GAA doesn’t. It doesn’t get much more unscientific than that, but GAA doesn’t seem to ooze liquid like all types of modern grease I try. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I stick with GAA whenever possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks