• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happened to Reverse

kennys@wi.rr.com

I moved my truck to shovel some snow that had built up around it over the past week today. When I went to back it up it went maybe a foot and then stopped. I could go forwat but no chance of the truck going back. I of course made sure I had the parking brake off and then shut the truck off and climbed under it. I verified the parking brake was released and then went around the under side and gave all the drums a couple good raps with a BFH. Got back in and still only forward. I even tried locking in the front axle and putting the transfer case into low low. After about ten minutes of this the was a lour pop from under the truck, in the cab forward area, and still no reverse. Then it started to move as if nothing ever happened. Any ideas of what happened? I looked under the truck after I got it parked to see if I could find any sign of what the pop was and nothing. No fluids, no cracks nothing looks out of place. Would like to figure this out so I can get it fixed before something major gets broken, or it leaves me stranded somewhere.
The truck is a stock 71. When I picked it up at Ft McCoy it had a new Transmision and transfer case as well as a new master cylinder and air pack. Could any of these items have been installed wrong?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look your parking brake over again.

kennys@wi.rr.com

DH,
I loosened it all the way up and checked both pads, there was no contact of any kind. That's the first and last place I looked because it behaved just as though the brake was on.

Westech

CPL
water in something and it froze? With that 50-60 MPH winds we had maybe some snow got in to something. (that is one reason I park my trucks for the winter.... Next year they will be inside a heated shop.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the tranny for sure engaging in reverse and it feels like something is binding? My guess is the parking brake assembly or maybe a u-joint. If water got into something and it froze it would for sure brake loose with the torque/gearing of a deuce. And by the way, wind has no effect on inanimate objects.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you mean wind chill and I never said anything about that did I? We had a bad storm a couple days ago and we had snow blowing in and drifting all over.... Try again
Can anyone tell me how to block a users posts? I get so tired of negativity. Thanks in advance.

No idea on the reverse problem - please post up once you have it figured out. Good luck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone tell me how to block a users posts? I get so tired of negativity. Thanks in advance.

No idea on the reverse problem - please post up once you have it figured out. Good luck.

Top menu bar, click "usercp"
edit options, click "edit ignore list"
start typing the user name to ignore
click the OK button

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your getting pretty bad Dug. Every time "someone" posts, you have to say something about it. Give it a rest.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, could you have gotten the syncros for reverse hung up? Sometimes , if you do it right, it feels like you are hitting a brick wall.

KsM715

Your getting pretty bad Dug. Every time "someone" posts, you have to say something about it. Give it a rest.
That’s why I very seldom criticize anyone on the rules anymore. Its usually NOT the OP that gets offended its more often someone in the peanut gallery.

Westech

CPL
You know I did have that happen to the Race car once.. it got hung up in two gears...... Kenny I would check the fluid (water or ice chunks)and go from there.. if noting looks broke I don't know what much else you can do.

REST!

kurtkds

I had that happen to me once. Long story short, the bolts holding the drum to the hub had not been torqued down properly when it was still in service. They eventually worked themselves loose, one came all the way out and wedged between the drum and brake shoe and bound everything up.

kwiksilver

I wonder if you have water in the tranny. The counter shaft is in the bottom of the tranny and might be in ice. The water would sit in the bottom of the oil. maybe?

kennys@wi.rr.com

If there is a problem in the transmision wouldn't that affect the forward gears as well? I will admit I try to stay out of the inner working of a transmision so I don't know if that would be the case or not.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for that useful and helpful advice. If wanting as little newbie biting and drama means I'm "getting bad", then I'm bad to the bone.

Look forward to hooking up and drinking beers (on me of course) at some of the east coast events after I retire later this year.

Jake0147

One of the two parking brake shoes is self energizing in either direction. Check carefully to see that there is NO contact. Not even a litle "brushing". Just cause it's only "barely touching" right now, doesn't mean it is still that way when the drum moves.
It's also possible (although far less likely) that one of the shoes in a foundation brake is doing the same.

The check for either of these situations is to see if it will move the other way, in this case would it still move forward? And the answer in the original post was yes. That rules out unruly synchronizers and ham fisted gear jamming getting it into multiple gears at once. Something, somehow is "wedged" against something else that moves with the driveline only, so it only locks one way. There are not a lot of guesses outside of the brakes, anything else would be really random....

When it finally goes, and there is a great big loud "BANG" from under the cab, that almost sounds like it came from the clutch housing (within which is a couple of very, very stout springs that accept and accommodate torsional movement...) accompanied by a sudden (but smooth) lurch, as if you'd stepped off of the clutch a little too quickly, but it just gets up and goes like nothing happens... That is a solid symptom that the parking brake has released violently. If you get the same "bang" but the lurch is more violent and the whole truck shakes like every piece of the suspension was shifting around underneath of you, that's more like what happens when a back foundation brake shoe is stuck but releases. I'm ruling out the front brakes BTW, you would have had NO trouble dragging one front wheel, or spinning the rears while the front sat still, depending on the specific traction situation. Rears are much harder to drag.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for that useful and helpful advice. If wanting as little newbie biting and drama means I'm "getting bad", then I'm bad to the bone.

Look forward to hooking up and drinking beers (on me of course) at some of the east coast events after I retire later this year.
No it dosen't mean your bad to the bone , it means you have reach the top spot as site "drama Queen"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks