• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What has PVT pyle done to my steering wheel?

linx310

Removed the steering wheel cover on my M1009 to inspect if my steering wheel was installed incorrectly or if it was drag link (turned out to be the drag link).

It looks like Pvt. Pyle has been here…the end of the shaft is mushroomed out from what I assume was a failed attempt and removing the steering wheel.

The plastic ring that goes inside is broken.

And there is some kind of black glue all along the inside of the cover where it attached to the steering wheel.

Why do you think it was glued on? I thought the ring would hold once you slid the cover back over it.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they tried the BFH removal method. Never a substitue for a wheel puller. Is the nut missing?

The black goo is the universal attachment product. Used when Duct tape isn't available. [thumbzup]

moose1008

Fortunately, replacement steering columns can be had fairly cheaply at the recycle yard. You could stay with a stock style wheel or put in a tilt column.
hey guys. im new to the hobby and im sry to hyjack the post...but i noticed you say you could replace it with a tilt column... is there any modifing involved and would i need to stick with a column from a diesel or would a gasser work? kind of a big boy and tilt would be great..

linx310

Any one know what type of glue it is that they used?

I may have to glue it back together this weekend.

mr.travo

LMAO!!! Yep, I notice the army half-a$$ fixes. I HATED those mechanics that just "fixed it good enough for now". Field is one thing, but when you're back, YOU FIX IT RIGHT! LOL!

JUNKYARDJOHN

I've had a couple of old chevy trucks with mushroomed or buggered up steering shaft threads. (my m1009 was one of them) I've always been able to champfer the first couple of threads off with a die grinder, & then run a die or even a grade 8 nut on & off a couple of times to repair the threads. steering shafts are soft. Heck... it's broke or nfg anyway right?? John [thumbzup]