• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What has your 6.2 pulled ? MPG's ??

Keith_J

Stop and start traffic will kill mileage as you are burning fuel to accelerate 5200+ pounds of vehicle, then turning that kinetic energy into heat every time you step on the brakes.

You could have sticking calipers since the vehicle has been stored for a while.

Barrman

Are you sure it is getting into 3rd gear above 35 mph? Driving nicely to 55 and then maintaining 55 should give you 20 plus mpg if everything is working right.

Parking brake stuck on?

leeh725

My 1028 and 1008 stayed hooked up to livestock trailers and float trailers, respectively. The 24' livestock trailer can hold about 9 or 10 of our Angus bulls, or 13 cows. That's about 19,500 gross combination weight. The float trailer holds approximately 20 4'x5' round bales. The trailer by itself is 9400 lbs. The load is approximately 19,000. So that's a respectable load Average fuel economy is about 9 MPG. These trucks are almost never unhooked. They've been in service for about three years. They are bone stock, except for the B&W turnover ball, electric brake controller and receiver hitches

You'll never win a race with them. But they'll get you and your cargo wherever you need to go, as long as you're not in a hurry.

cuffnstuff

I recently picked up a stock M1010, and assume it has the stock axles under it. I am looking to improve my top speed for highway travel, and was wondering what wheel/ tire combos people are running that suit economy and improved top speed. I know the best way to do this is a newer overdrive tranny and switching to 3.83's, but my truck only has 15,000 ACTUAL miles and everything works great, so just wondering if I could bump up to larger wheels and tires to help out a bit.

sandcobra164

I don't have a clue on MPG's, If she's low, the M1028 gets a tank full. I do keep her under 55 so I should be around 15 or so as I've seen posted. The most I've towed is an M105 and she pulled it as if it wasn't back there but that's only about 3,000 pounds or so.

jgb680

My M1008 pulling a 4000lb. excavator + a 3000lb. trailer

truck and excavator.jpg

And here it is towing about 5000lbs. of gravel plus the 3000lb. trailer

truck and rock.jpg

I don't know what king of MPG I got, I was doing some landscaping this weekend and rented the equipment for just a few days and probably only drove about 25 miles. It pulled the weight better than I expected.

Tplane37

I'm using an Android app called DriverDiary to log my expenses on my civvy 85 C30 Crew Cab 2wd Dually. The truck has the 6.2L out of a M1009 in it, 4.10 gears, TH400, and 235/80R16 tires. The vacuum pump on the truck seems to be out because it only shifts at 20 mph and 35 mph, and it doesn't down shift to pull hills. I bought it 8 days ago and have already logged 764 miles on the truck.

Empty, unloaded, I averaged 14.715 MPG. Once I get the new alternator I ordered so I quit breaking belts, I have. 450 mile trip ahead of me with the flat bed fully loaded and a 28' trailer frame, 16 2"x6"s (deck material for trailer), and a 14 bolt rear end on my 1,700 lb car trailer. I am curious what kind if mileage I'll get with the load.

If I am getting nearly 15 mpg with a transmission that high revs every time it shifts, up hill (IL to OH), with a strong head wind... I can believe the 20+ mpg claims.

I am looking to swap in my 3.73's and my 700R4 soon, and considering 37's when I convert it to 4x4 as I prep the chassis and drive train for an Urban Gorilla body swap down the road (staying with dually and flat bed, changing cab and front clip only).

EDIT: Okay, loaded trip from Ohio to Illinois complete. Averaged 11.285 MPG.

Last edited:

wkbrdngsnw

DSCN2322.jpgDSCN2325.jpg

Just to add to the what can be done with a CUCV. This is a case of probably shouldn't. With the pickup variety this is not that big of deal but with a M-1009 probably not the smartest. This was just a test to see if it is possible since I really don't like bugging my friends to move my stuff around. This is the absolute rated limit of the equipment. 1650 lb trailer with 4800 lb tractor with a 1000 lb loader. 7500 lb rated trailer with two 3500lb axles. The only plus is four wheel brakes and a weight distribution hitch.

I went for a short 5 mile drive around town and it really didn't seem any different than towing 3500 lb just a little slower getting up to speed. 33's and 3.08's don't work that well for towing. It is turbocharged and will keep up with traffic even with that weight. Stopping wasn't bad either since the trailer does most of the breaking. I wouldn't go over the mountains like that but for moving it around locally it is an option.

chevyguy1976

Growing up we had a 1984 civi 1 ton crew cab 4x4 with a j code 6.2, 4spd, and 456 gears. That was a sweet truck, did not have the power of our built 454 but did get 17 mpg on longer trips 60-65 mph was pushing it pretty good. We pulled a 5 th wheel trailer with 10,000# + pounds of scrap on a regular basis with it. My M1009 gets 22mpg on long trips and about 17-18 around town.